It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 17:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, ponds and ice-s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G
Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, ponds and ice-s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 04:44
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry.

My approach is really holystic to this exam. When a student tries to stick a problem following rigid patterns, sorry but is the worst scenario. Before or after you will be stuck somewhere.

My approach is global to a problem, flexible. I do not follow a dogma or preconceived rules. I try to visualize the whole picture, basically.

This is also confirmed by the strategy showed in the new Verbal Guide 6th edition by MGMAT.

This is a test of logic not rules

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, ponds and ice-s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2014, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Narwhals can be called whales of the ice: in icy channels,ponds,and ice-shielded bays they seek sanctuary from killer whales, their chief predator,and their annual migrations following the seasonal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice.

A) their annual migrations following
B) their annual migrations which follow
C) their annual migrations follow
D) whose annual migrations following
E) whose annual migrations follow

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.83
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2014, 07:39
This post received
KUDOS
IMO - C

Narwhals can be called whales of the ice: in icy channels,ponds,and ice-shielded bays they seek sanctuary from killer whales, their chief predator,and their annual migrations following the seasonal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice.

>> after colon either examples are presented or explanation of the preceding argument. Here explanation is present (right?). We need ICs.
in icy channels,ponds,and ice-shielded bays they seek sanctuary from killer whales, their chief predator,and their annual migrations following the seasonal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice.
X, and Y - both need to be ICs. However, Y is not IC because it's lacking a verb.

>> as explained above

>> which almost always need a comma before. Also, we needed Y to be an IC

>> CORRECT: as explained above

>> violets the parallelism+IC issue

>> as in D
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 01:57
souvik101990 wrote:

A - ',+and' demands an IC to follow. Here 'following' is a participle and not a verb. Hence (A) is wrong.
B - 'their' does not have a verb. Hence (B) is wrong.
C - IMO Right
D - Same as (B) - no verb for whose. Also 'whose' is a relative pronoun suited to introduce a DC rather than an IC
E - 'whose' is a relative pronoun suited to introduce a DC rather than an IC

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 01:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Finance
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 15:59
This post received
KUDOS
Split 1:-follow vs following.
Structure has to be parallel to seek. Hence choose follow.
Eliminate --> A, D

Split 2:- Independent clause vs Dependent clause
i.e. use of whose and their.
Whose is used for dependent clause whereas their is used for independent clause.
Since it is an independent clause we need to use their.
Eliminate --> E

Split 3:- Use of which
Which as being non-essential modifier here is needed to be preceded by comma.
Eliminate -->B

Answer --> C
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 20:26
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 05:54
sayantanc2k

LulaBrazilia wrote:
Narwhals can be called whales of the ice: in icy channels, ponds, and ice-shielded bays they seek sanctuary from killer whales, their chief predator, and their annual migrations following the seasonal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice.

(A) their annual migrations following

(B) their annual migrations which follow

(C) their annual migrations follow

(D) whose annual migrations following

(E) whose annual migrations follow

I got confused by this inverted structure of the sentence.

In icy channels, ponds, and ice-shielded bays
    they seek sanctuary from killer whales and
their annual migrations follow the seasonal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice.

It looks like half of the sentence is inverted and half is in simple form.
I believe it would have been better if it would look as below

they seek sanctuary from killer whales, their chief predator, in icy channels, ponds, and ice-shielded bays and their annual migrations follow the seasonal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2016, 14:42
I don't like answer choice C. Their can refer to whales or the Narwhals. Can someone please clear this up for me?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2016, 20:59
r0ckst4r wrote:
I don't like answer choice C. Their can refer to whales or the Narwhals. Can someone please clear this up for me?

I would like to make a point here, the catch of GMAT SC is that you have to understand the meaning of the sentence and then apply the concepts and rules to reach the right answer.
Trust me I am speaking from 1.5 years of rigorous GMAT preparation. So coming back, re read the sentence and you will understand that the author is talking about / rather the author is trying to make a point why the whale is called icy ..it is because they take recluse in icy cold waters to hide from predators and follow their migration cycle.

Rest all distorts the meaning.

I will make one more suggestion for the GMAT only practice the official question the practice test companies fail to capture the gmat essence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 09:56
i'll take a shot at this

Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, ponds and ice-shielded bays they seek sanctuary from killer whales, their chief predator, and their annual migrations following the seasonal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice.

A. their annual migrations following
B. their annual migrations which follow
C. their annual migrations follow
D. whose annual migrations following
E. whose annual migrations follow

Now, NOTE THE SEMICOLON (:). This splits the passage into TWO parts (come after the semicolon)
1) they seek sanctuary from killer whales, their chief predator (can easily eliminate "their chief predator" -- this is just a modifier)
2) and their annual migrations following the seasonal rhythm (of advancing and retreating ice. -- easily eliminate)

^ hopefully it's easy to see whats wrong here: "they seek" & "their migrations following"?? No, it should be "they seek" & "their migrations follow"

if this helps, kudos please :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 01:40
souvik101990 wrote:

Hi,
According to my understanding 'their annual migrations' is about killer whales. Please clarify.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 02:28
Top Contributor
Quote:
anje wrote

According to my understanding, 'their annual migrations' is about killer whales. Please clarify.

'Their' cannot refer to Narwhals in one place and to killer whales in another place. In addition, why will the second IC talk about the killer whales' migration when the scope of the passage is about Narwhals' behavior?

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 03:33
daagh wrote:
Quote:
anje wrote

According to my understanding, 'their annual migrations' is about killer whales. Please clarify.

'Their' cannot refer to Narwhals in one place and to killer whales in another place. In addition, why will the second IC talk about the killer whales' migration when the scope of the passage is about Narwhals' behavior?

Thanks Daag :) I got it.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 07:00
Dear Moderators,

Kindly change this question to a "hard" category since GMATPrep has marked it as "hard" as well.

Best,
SS18

anon1 wrote:
Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds and ice-shielded bays they seek sanctuary from killer whales, their chief predator, and their annual migrations following the seasnal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice.
A. their annual migrations following
B. their annual migrations which follow
C. their annual migrations follow
D. whose annual migrations following
E. whose annual migrations follow

[Reveal] Spoiler:
So I have no idea what this question is even trying to say. The whole thing sounds illogical to me.

Why is the correct answer C not some sort of fragment?

To me, it sounds like this... Narwhals seek sanctuary from killer whales, and their annual migrations follow the seasonal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice.

To me, "seek" (conjugated verb) is not structurally parallel to "their annual migrations" follow.... ugh
Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, ponds and ice-s   [#permalink] 18 May 2017, 07:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, ponds and ice-s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap