Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7792 [158]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [48]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [22]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7792 [0]
Send PM
Re: Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean has [#permalink]
What's wrong with D?

People say that "have" should be "has"
Is it impossible to see D in the way that a clear picture of ~ and what caused them HAVE emerged ?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [6]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean has [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
eybrj2 wrote:
What's wrong with D?

People say that "have" should be "has"
Is it impossible to see D in the way that a clear picture of ~ and what caused them HAVE emerged ?

Hi,

Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean has variable currents, but it is only in the last half century that a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and
causes of ocean currents

Choice D: there have emerged a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and what caused them.

Since we need to ascertain the subject for the verb "have emerged", let us ask, what emerged? The answer is "a reasonably clear picture". This is an entity in singular number. So, what is this picture about? This picture is about the patterns of ocean currents and what caused them. Pronoun "them" refers to "currents" and not the picture. Also "what caused them" is associated with the "ocean currents" and not the "picture". Hence, the use of plural verb "have emerged" for a singular entity "a reasonably clear picture" is not correct. We need a singular verb here. Choice A is the only answer with correct verb tense.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
 Q47  V28 GMAT 2: 570  Q40  V29
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Kudos
eybrj2 wrote:
Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean
has variable currents, but it is only in the last half century that
a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and
causes of ocean currents.

A. a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns
and causes of ocean currents.
B. a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean
currents and their causes have emerged.
C. a reasonably clear picture emerged of ocean currents,
their patterns and the causes of them
D. there have emerged a reasonably clear picture of the
patterns of ocean currents and what caused them.
E. there had emerged a reasonably clear picture of the
patterns of ocean currents and their causes

i pick A. B is wordy, in my point of view C, D and E are nonsensical and a bit awkward. correct me if i am wrong. by the way whats the source of this question?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [16]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean has variable currents, but it is only in the last half century that a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and causes of ocean currents.

A. a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and causes of ocean currents.
B. a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and their causes have emerged.
C. a reasonably clear picture emerged of ocean currents, their patterns and the causes of them
D. there have emerged a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and what caused them.
E. there had emerged a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and their causes

First let us break the SC into clauses

1.Navigators have known for thousands of years
2.the ocean has variable currents,
3.but it is only in the last half century
4.a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and causes of ocean currents.

In the above clauses the 4 th clause is the underlined portion.

Process of elimination.

Choice B . a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and their causes have emerged -in the 4 th clause the subject is "clear picture" so the verb should be singular but in the option "have emerged" is plural and "theirs" referring to "clear picture".So B is wrong

Choice C a reasonably clear picture emerged of ocean currents, their patterns and the causes of them - here in this we do not have any verb reffering to the subject of the clause "clear picture".So C is incorrect

Choice the subject of the clause "clear picture" is singular but the verb "have is plural" so D is wrong

Choice D "their" which is plural refers to subject of the clause "clear picture" which is singular so E is wrong

The final answer is "A"

I hope the explanation helps.Please correct if I am wrong.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [8]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean has variable currents, but it is only in the last half century that a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and causes of ocean currents.

A. a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and causes of ocean currents
Correct.

B. a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and their causes have emerged
Wrong. main subject - a picture ==> singular ==> "have" is wrong.

C. a reasonably clear picture emerged of ocean currents, their patterns and the causes of them
Wrong. "them" refers to ocean currents --OR-- patterns? ==> pronoun problem.

D. there have emerged a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and what caused them
Wrong. There have... a clear picture ==> S-V agreement.

E. there had emerged a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and their causes
Wrong. "had emerged" (Past perfect) is not necessary. "their" refers to patterns --OR-- currents?

Hope it helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The core here is the cue phrase ‘in the last half century”, which is a range of time that extends up to the current day, rather than a specific point of time. Hence we have to use a present perfect tense to describe the verb: Second point is that the verb has to be singular to be in consonance with the singular subject picture. The pronouns , if at all required, should also be singulars. Which one has these two combinations? Only A, one may find.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Am I the only one who believes that "of the patterns" after the verb is a very awkward construction?

is it a picture of the patterns and causes of ocean currents that has emerged? or a picture has emerged of something?
this is ambiguous, and very strange!
I dismissed A just because of this. i have never seen before such a construction.

@e-gmat, if possible, please explain.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
It implies the picture of the patterns and causes of ocean currents has emerged." Picture" out here implies the reason behind the patterns; it does not imply the literal meaning of picture. It’s like saying " I got the picture" or "The picture is clear to me".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.55
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I did GMAT Prep yesterday and this was one of the missed questions. I have no doubt on the correct or wrong answer anymore, but I do on the use of "has emerged" before "of the patterns...". As a foreign language native, I "hear" this "of the patterns..." modifying emerged instead of picture. Can anyone help me with this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM