GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 18:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

     December 14, 2018

     December 14, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1235
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 10:10
3
16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:33) correct 44% (02:10) wrong based on 750 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high school diploma have earned their factory safety certificate, having easily completed the eight week training course. The high school graduates who haven't earned the certificate are ones who have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the course. Overall, though, most of the factory workers have not earned the certificate.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following also must be true?

A) A large proportion of students with high school diplomas have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the eight week training course.
B) No factory worker without a high school diploma has completed the course and earned the certificate.
C) Most of the workers who have earned the certificate are high school graduates.
D) A large proportion of the factory workers have not graduated from high school.
E) Most of the people who take the training course are able to earn the safety certificate.

_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2013
Posts: 79
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q48 V17
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 10:59
Initially marked C....but carefully analyzing the argument came across D...

Suppose 100 workers are high school graduates,90 among them got certificate.Some workers who are not high school graduates also completed.Let that number be 20.But most workers haven't got certificates,suppose this number is 500.These 500 are those who are not high school graduated.So out of 720(500+20+100) 520(500+20) are not high school graduates.
So, D is the answer
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2014
Posts: 41
Reviews Badge
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 04:49
Harley1980 wrote:
Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high school diploma have earned their factory safety certificate, having easily completed the eight week training course. The high school graduates who haven't earned the certificate are ones who have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the course. Overall, though, most of the factory workers have not earned the certificate.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following also must be true?

A) A large proportion of students with high school diplomas have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the eight week training course.
B) No factory worker without a high school diploma has completed the course and earned the certificate.
C) Most of the workers who have earned the certificate are high school graduates.
D) A large proportion of the factory workers have not graduated from high school.
E) Most of the people who take the training course are able to earn the safety certificate.



Is it an inference question or assumption question coz must be true is inference questions usually
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1235
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 06:04
amatya wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:
Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high school diploma have earned their factory safety certificate, having easily completed the eight week training course. The high school graduates who haven't earned the certificate are ones who have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the course. Overall, though, most of the factory workers have not earned the certificate.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following also must be true?

A) A large proportion of students with high school diplomas have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the eight week training course.
B) No factory worker without a high school diploma has completed the course and earned the certificate.
C) Most of the workers who have earned the certificate are high school graduates.
D) A large proportion of the factory workers have not graduated from high school.
E) Most of the people who take the training course are able to earn the safety certificate.



Is it an inference question or assumption question coz must be true is inference questions usually


Hello amatya
"Must be true" and "Inference" are just different names for the same type of questions.

Here is good article about MBT questions
concept-article-how-to-tackle-must-be-true-or-inference-cr-162910.html
and excerpt from it:
Difference between Inference (must be true) and Assumption questions
Inference can be easily and directly deduced from the statements of the question stem while assumption will contain NEW information and can never be directly deduced from the question stem.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Posts: 293
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 06:38
1
amatya wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:
Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high school diploma have earned their factory safety certificate, having easily completed the eight week training course. The high school graduates who haven't earned the certificate are ones who have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the course. Overall, though, most of the factory workers have not earned the certificate.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following also must be true?

A) A large proportion of students with high school diplomas have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the eight week training course.
B) No factory worker without a high school diploma has completed the course and earned the certificate.
C) Most of the workers who have earned the certificate are high school graduates.
D) A large proportion of the factory workers have not graduated from high school.
E) Most of the people who take the training course are able to earn the safety certificate.



Is it an inference question or assumption question coz must be true is inference questions usually



Do not assume that any stem that contains the words MUST be true is an assumption question.

A simple explanation-

What information MUST be true for the argument/ conclusion to hold/be true?-----> Assumption
Here,You have to choose an option that will help make the argument/conclusion true.

What information MUST be true BASED on the argument?------> Inference
Here,You have to choose an option that is true based on the argument.( Reverse of the assumption stem.)

This is more or less what you need to know to make out the difference between the two types.

Hope the above helps!!!

I donot mind Kudos !!!
_________________

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Dec 2014
Posts: 23
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q50 V23
GPA: 3.82
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 01:26
3
I have attached my version in the image. If anyone could please tell me if my reasoning is flawed or correct. It'd help me a lot :)
Thanks!
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 176.08 KiB | Viewed 4963 times ]

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2015
Posts: 107
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 19:11
debaratidg wrote:
I have attached my version in the image. If anyone could please tell me if my reasoning is flawed or correct. It'd help me a lot :)
Thanks!


I made the same image and knew that D is right.

But why is E wrong ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Dec 2014
Posts: 23
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q50 V23
GPA: 3.82
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 21:41
rukna wrote:
debaratidg wrote:
I have attached my version in the image. If anyone could please tell me if my reasoning is flawed or correct. It'd help me a lot :)
Thanks!


I made the same image and knew that D is right.

But why is E wrong ?


Hi :)

E does sound right. --> E) Most of the people who take the training course are able to earn the safety certificate.

But there is a flaw: See the passage tells us ONLY about high school graduates ---> Subgroup A : people who completed high school and have earned this certificate and Subgroup B : Those, who have passed HS but havent been able to commit to finishing the course to earn the certificate.

Now, E says "MOST" of the people......certificate ---> We dont know who has passed and who have failed. There may be people who are no HS Grads, and have taken the course but failed, or maybe a very small percentage of them might have taken the course and passed. So in such situations, you're nor sure, the possibilities are many.

Hence E is wrong :)
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1235
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2015, 05:12
1
rukna wrote:
debaratidg wrote:
I have attached my version in the image. If anyone could please tell me if my reasoning is flawed or correct. It'd help me a lot :)
Thanks!


I made the same image and knew that D is right.

But why is E wrong ?


Hello rukna

E is wrong because it says: "Most of the people who take the training course are able to earn the safety certificate."
From the argument we know that "most of the factory workers have not earned the certificate."
But we don't know whether they took this course or not. If they took this course then answer E is correct if not then answer E is incorrect.

This is inference question so we should pick answer that is 100% correct and answer D has several possibilities that's why it wrong.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2015
Posts: 35
Location: Germany
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User
Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 14:33
My explanation:

Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high school diploma have earned their factory safety certificate, having easily completed the eight week training course. The high school graduates who haven't earned the certificate are ones who have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the course. Overall, though, most of the factory workers have not earned the certificate.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following also must be true?

A) A large proportion of students with high school diplomas have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the eight week training course. - "high school diploma" not discussed within scope having evening obligations
B) No factory worker without a high school diploma has completed the course and earned the certificate. - "no" is again exggearted statement
C) Most of the workers who have earned the certificate are high school graduates. - 180 statement ie; MOST of workers did not earn certificate
D) A large proportion of the factory workers have not graduated from high school.
E) Most of the people who take the training course are able to earn the safety certificate. - Generalized statement by extending the stimulus to "people"
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2015
Posts: 75
WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 17:05
1
A=factory workers
B=high school diploma
C=safety certificate
O= obligation

Most A who had B has C.
If one has no C the he has O
Most A has no C.


which means Most A have O or Most A does not have B

Option D

Sorry if it it is a dumb logic. :P
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2015
Posts: 107
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2015, 02:35
madhusudhan237 wrote:
My explanation:

Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high school diploma have earned their factory safety certificate, having easily completed the eight week training course. The high school graduates who haven't earned the certificate are ones who have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the course. Overall, though, most of the factory workers have not earned the certificate.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following also must be true?

A) A large proportion of students with high school diplomas have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the eight week training course. - "high school diploma" not discussed within scope having evening obligations
B) No factory worker without a high school diploma has completed the course and earned the certificate. - "no" is again exggearted statement
C) Most of the workers who have earned the certificate are high school graduates. - 180 statement ie; MOST of workers did not earn certificate
D) A large proportion of the factory workers have not graduated from high school.
E) Most of the people who take the training course are able to earn the safety certificate. - Generalized statement by extending the stimulus to "people"


You are wrong in your logic for eliminating C. Look closely the option. its not 180 opposite. Its talking about those who have got the certificate.
Hint: Reason why its wrong is you can adjust the no of those who have got the certificate and are not HS passed out.


Thanks Harley1980 for reasoning behind E. I see it clearly now.
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2620
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 19:48
1
Harley1980 wrote:
Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high school diploma have earned their factory safety certificate, having easily completed the eight week training course. The high school graduates who haven't earned the certificate are ones who have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the course. Overall, though, most of the factory workers have not earned the certificate.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following also must be true?

A) A large proportion of students with high school diplomas have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the eight week training course.
B) No factory worker without a high school diploma has completed the course and earned the certificate.
C) Most of the workers who have earned the certificate are high school graduates.
D) A large proportion of the factory workers have not graduated from high school.
E) Most of the people who take the training course are able to earn the safety certificate.


Picked D, as it is the most reasonable one..
A. no. we know that the majority of those with diplomas - completed the course and got the certificate.
B. we are told only about those who got diploma..we cannot generalize about those who did not...suppose that 20 people are with diploma. 19 completed and got certificate. 80 no diploma. 2 completed. total we have 21 completed. still most of the workers did not earn the certificate. since it is possible - b is out.
C. suppose we have 20 workers with diploma. 19 earned the certificate. 80 are without diploma. 20 earned certificate. overall - 39 earned certificate, but the majority of workers did not. out
D. since overall - most factory workers have not earned the certificate, we can conclude that:
at least 51 workers out of 100 did not get the certificate.
suppose 50 graduated high school. 50 not. out of first 50 - 48 passed. out of other 50 - 1 passed. so overall majority failed - but we have 50/50.
E. we do not know about those who did not graduated from HS. so no.

any expert can comment on where my logic failed while analyzing D?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2015
Posts: 20
Location: India
Schools: IIMA (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 05:52
I think C is just the replica of the question.. and D can be inferred from it.....
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Posts: 166
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 10:37
My 2 cents:
I selected C when i attempted this question, but here is my explanation as to why D is correct:

Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high school diploma have earned their factory safety certificate, having easily completed the eight week training course.
The high school graduates who haven't earned the certificate are ones who have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the course. Overall, though, most of the
factory workers have not earned the certificate.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following also must be true?
A) A large proportion of students with high school diplomas have evening obligations that have prevented them from taking the eight week training course.
B) No factory worker without a high school diploma has completed the course and earned the certificate.
C) Most of the workers who have earned the certificate are high school graduates.
D) A large proportion of the factory workers have not graduated from high school.
E) Most of the people who take the training course are able to earn the safety certificate.

Premise-1:
# of HS graduates = 100
Most of HSD have earned the safety certificate = 90
Remaining HSD who haven't earned SC are those who have evening obligations = 10

Premise-2: Most of the factory workers have not earned the certificate.
Let,Total # of factory worker = 1000
HSD = 100
Remaining without HSD = 900
Some of non-HSD with SC = 150
non-HSD without SC = 750
Thus, PLEASE NOTE that Premise-2 makes it IMPOSSIBLE for # of workers with HSD > # of non-HSD workers BECAUSE most of HSD workers have earned SC and most of the workers haven't.

C) Most of the workers who have earned the certificate are high school graduates.
This is possible BUT can't be infered, as in our example even though majority of HS graduates have SC but still it is < # of non-HSD with SC. So INCORRECT.
I couldn't think of this case while trying to solve this problem.

D) A large proportion of the factory workers have not graduated from high school.
BECAUSE
P-2: Most of the factory workers have not earned the certificate. &
Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high school diploma have earned their factory safety certificate
# of HSD holders < # of non-HSD and # non-HSD is the biggest chunk of work force. Also big portion of non-HSD hasn't earned the SC.

If you like, kudo!!!
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1651
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 23:06
This question perfectly shows why GMAT questions are much different from LSAT questions. The key word here is "nearly all", and two first sentences basically are just the comparison between grads from high-schools who have certificates and those who don't in the same company.
A is completely contrasting to D.
C is a common pattern in inference questions, that is, there is only one way of deduction, not the other way.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 54
Location: Viet Nam
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.58
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 01:46
Hi guys,

What if most factory workers have completed high school degree but can't earn certificate due to evening obligations? If that's the case, its still possible that most factory workers don't have the certificates despite the fact that they all graduated from high school.

Thoughts?
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1651
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 08:23
1
emeraldweapon wrote:
Hi guys,

What if most factory workers have completed high school degree but can't earn certificate due to evening obligations? If that's the case, its still possible that most factory workers don't have the certificates despite the fact that they all graduated from high school.

Thoughts?


"Nearly all " is the key word here. This indicates that the fraction of "factory workers have completed high school degree but can't earn certificate due to evening obligations" is small. Then, the conclusion talks about "majority..." => D
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1556
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 20:39

Official Explanation Magoosh:



The credited answer is (D). If most factory workers with high school degrees have completed the training, then most of the factory workers who haven't completed the training must be folks without high school degrees. Since the factory workers who haven't completed the training in the vast majority, and since factory workers with high school degrees can only account for a very small number of these, then most of the factory workers must not have high school degrees.

We don't know how many factory workers with high school degrees have evening obligations. We know that the factory workers with high school degrees who haven't completed the training have evening obligations that prevent them from completing it, but among the factory workers with high school degrees who have completed the training, we don't know what proportion has evening obligations, and how the size of this group might compare to the number of the factory workers with high school degrees who haven't completed the training. Choice (A) is incorrect.

As explained above, the information lead us to deduce that many factory workers without high school degrees haven't completed the training course, but that does mean that none have. Choice (B) is too extreme, and it is incorrect.

We don't know the relative proportions of worker with or without high school degrees; as discuss above, we have grounds to suspect that the latter is a larger group. We know that many of the factory workers with high school degrees have completed the training and have earned the certificate, but we have no idea what proportion of the factory workers without high school degrees have done so, and how the number of this latter group compares to the former group. We have no way to know which is greater. Choice (C) is incorrect.

The information suggests that, among high school graduates, most of the folks who took the course were able to earn the certificate with little difficulty. Is this generally the case? Is it the case for folks who weren't able, for whatever reason, to complete their high school degree? We don't know. The prompt provides no information on this point. Choice (E) is incorrect.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Mar 2017
Posts: 236
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 10:54
A,B and E are irrelevant. Contenders are C and D. C cannot be the answer because:

Let us assume a situation

Non high sch with training: 40 people
Non high sch without training: 80 people
High school with training: 20 people
High school without training: 10 people

From the above hypothetical situation,
No of people who have completed the training is 60 which is less than that who have haven't (90 people).

However most of the people here aren't high school graduates(violation of option C).

So by POE, E is the winner
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high &nbs [#permalink] 20 Jul 2018, 10:54

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Nearly all employees of the factory who have completed their high

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.