GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 01:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 291
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2016, 08:42
3
Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination within two business days of being sent. In fact, correctly addressed mail takes longer than this only when it is damaged in transit. Overall, however, most mail arrives three business days or more after being sent. Let us dissect this great question! So (1) Correctly addressed mail =< 2 days, (2) Correctly addressed + Damaged > 2 days, (3) Reality: >= 3 days. Important not to forget also that: the "only" wording which eliminates other possibilities for correct mails being delivered late.

Let us engage into the stem: correctly addressed mails get delivered in time - not argued. But why the overall delivery time is 3 days??? Where does it come from? Correctly addressed but damaged mails are delivered after days? Definitely! What about Incorrectly addressed mails? Do they get delivered within 2 days? Hm. May be some of them. What if one can incorrectly indicate the number of the house or index and the mail either will not be delivered at all or be delivered to wrong index from which it will have to be redirected after verification. It gonna take more than 2 days to be delivered than a healthy mail in healthy circumstances takes to get delivered.


If the statements above are true, which one of the following must be true?

A. A large proportion of the mail that is correctly addressed is damaged in transit. I think this is the trickiest incorrect answer! Hell yeah! Many delivery delays happen due to damage. But does the stem conclusively says this or it is our conclusion? It will be our conclusion if we choose this tricky option. We love the idea that delay is caused by damage. But nowhere does the stem say that there are lot of damaged correctly addressed mails - we love to make this conclusion.

B. No incorrectly addressed mail arrives within two business days of being sent. It means that ALL incorrectly addressed mail gets delivered with delay. Not necessarily. There can be just 1 mail that was delivered in 1 hour after submition - the stem allows that.

C. Most mail that arrives within two business days of being sent is correctly addressed.Again not necessarily. This statement reverses the cause-effect relationship in the arguement. The arguement says correctly addressed ---> be delivered in 2 days. Not vice versa. Hence is not necessarily true.

D. A large proportion of mail is incorrectly addressed. What about incorrectly addresed mails which are not directly mentioned in the stem but which definitely are implied as opposed to the correctly addressed mails. Besides that the 3 days average defintely gets affected by this category of mails - incorrectly addressed - along with the damaged correct ones. As long as the stem does not guarantee that there a lot of damaged correct mails then the delays are caused by the another mail category: incorrectly addressed. really tricky

E. More mail arrives within two business days of being sent than arrives between two and three business days after being sent. the stem does not tell anything about propotions.
_________________

KUDO me plenty

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 603
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2016, 07:34
What am I missing here?

This is a "Must Be True question" without a conclusion ; hence it must be a Inference question.
The fact that it is a inference question is further bolstered by the the stimulus which is a collection of factual statements about mail delivery and time taken .
No conclusion is presented in the stimulus. So definitely an Inference question.

The answer to an Inference question is always a Re-packaged Premise. (According to Powerscore LSAT teachers, whom I regard in high esteem)

So the premises are
Premise 1) Nearly all correct mail takes 2 days ("Nearly all" means "not all" or at least one mail takes more than 2 days )
Premise 2) Correct mails takes more than 2 days when it is damaged in transit
Premise 3) However most mail arrives in 3 days or more, after being send.
Conclusion :- NOT PRESENTED IN THE STIMULUS

How can answer D be correct "A large proportion of mail is incorrectly addressed"

It certainly look like an unstated premise. Isn't an understated premise also called an assumption ?
If we move forward with the logic and complete the breakdown :-
Premise 1) Nearly all correct mail takes 2 days ("Nearly all" means "not all" or at least one mail takes more than 2 days )
Premise 2) Correct mails takes more than 2 days when it is damaged in transit
Premise 3) Incorrect mail takes 3 or more days to arrive. (ASSUMPTIONS)
Premise 4) However most mail arrives in 3 days or more, after being send.
Conclusion :- Therefore we can conclude, a majority of mail is wrongly addressed.

Nothing explicit is said about incorrectly addressed mail in the question stem.
So we cannot bring new information to answer the question ?
option D is new information

So again, What am I missing ????

AN EXPLAINATON WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED
_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 141
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Re: Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2016, 09:48
hitman4683v1 wrote:
Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination within two business days of being sent. In fact, correctly addressed mail takes longer than this only when it is damaged in transit. Overall, however, most mail arrives three business days or more after being sent. If the statements above are true, which one of the following must be true?



A) A large proportion of the mail that is correctly addressed is damaged in transit.

B) No incorrectly addressed mail arrives within two business days of being sent.

C) Most mail that arrives within two business days of being sent is correctly addressed.

D) A large proportion of mail is incorrectly addressed.

E) More mail arrives within two business days of being sent than arrives between two and three business days after being sent.



My Views--

IMO A is the right answer.

We are no where told in the argument about Incorrectly addressed mail.Only correctly addressed mails are talked about.
Now,in argument in states that most mails arrive in three days or more and that correctly addressed mails arrive in more than two days only when it is damaged in transit.Thus,it can be clearly concluded large proportion==most mail that is correctly addressed is damaged in transit and thus takes three or more days.

Kindly note in Inference type of questions we can only use the information provided in the argument.No outside information can be used.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Re: Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 18:22
hello,

if we consider total mail be 100( <2 days & >3 days =100) then ' most mail arrives 3 or more business days after being sent" with number= 51( as most can be 51-100) and
few mails arrive within 2 business days= 49 ( few range is 1-49). so, mails that arrive within 2 business days are correctly addressed without damage(total 49) and mails that arrive 3 or more days can be correctly addressed with damage and not correctly addressed( 50 can be not correctly addressed and one can be correctly addressed with damage or viceversa) . so, we cannot conclude that large proportion can be incorrectly addressed(D)

please explain if my logic is wrong. i have selected answer as C
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4665
Re: Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 15:48
DeepikaV wrote:
hello,

if we consider total mail be 100( <2 days & >3 days =100) then ' most mail arrives 3 or more business days after being sent" with number= 51( as most can be 51-100) and
few mails arrive within 2 business days= 49 ( few range is 1-49). so, mails that arrive within 2 business days are correctly addressed without damage(total 49) and mails that arrive 3 or more days can be correctly addressed with damage and not correctly addressed( 50 can be not correctly addressed and one can be correctly addressed with damage or viceversa) . so, we cannot conclude that large proportion can be incorrectly addressed(D)

please explain if my logic is wrong. i have selected answer as C

Dear DeepikaV,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, notice that this is a "must be true" question. We can construct scenarios in which (C) is true, but we also can construct scenarios in which (C) is false. That's why (C) doesn't work.

Now, you have propose to have constructed an argument that disproves (D), but think about it. Here is (D):
(D) A large proportion of mail is incorrectly addressed.

Your symbolic representation is a bit unclear, so I will translate what you say into clear symbols.
P = correctly addressed mail
Within this category,
P1 = correctly addressed, undamaged = arrives in two days or less
P2 = correctly addressed, damaged = arrives later
Notice that "nearly all" of P is P1, so P2 is very small.

Q = incorrectly addressed = arrives later

Let's say P = 51%, with P1 = 49% and P2 = 2%. Even this makes P2 bigger than the words seem to suggest, because P1 is supposed to be "nearly all" of P. That would leave us with Q = 49%. Thus, a majority (P2 + Q - 51%) would arrive late.

The trouble is, (D) does not claim that Q is a majority, but only a large proportion. A third, 1/3 of the population, is a large proportion, especially for something that is a clear mistake. Thus, 49% would definitely be a large proportion.

If 10% of car trips resulted in accidents, that would be huge proportion. If 10% of all air flights resulted in crashes, that would be a gigantic proportion. If 5% of people who underwent surgery died, that would a gargantuan proportion. Those are more extreme cases. If 1/3 of the words that a person wrote were misspelled, that would be a large proportion. If a certain dishwasher broke 1/3 of the dishes he washed, that would be a huge proportion. If a certain person, after tying his shoes, found that his laces soon after needed to be retied 1/3 of the time, that would be a large proportion. Those are more ordinary scenarios.

Much in the same way, every individual and every business that sends mail wants to address that mail correctly. If even 1/3 of them are not addressing them correctly, that is a very large failure rate on what should be a simple task. Thus, 49% is a large proportion.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3188
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2016, 08:10
1
DaenerysStormborn wrote:
How is D justified?
It is very much possible that addresses were correct in large proportion of mails but they got damaged in transit.


Absolutely - the correct answer could have been:

A large proportion of mail is either incorrectly addressed or damaged in transit.

Otherwise a statement should have been there in the passage that only a small proportion of mail get damaged in transit.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Oct 2016
Posts: 148
Location: China
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)
Re: Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 21:10
i choose A at first. but after staring at the stimuli for 5min i finally get what it means.
the stimuli already told u that if mails are correctly addressed, they will arrive within 2 days, so there can't be many mails which are correctly addressed damaged.
in a word, the first sentance negate the situation metioned in the second sentance
_________________

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 688
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 04:55
IMO its D
I like to view it in SC and NC
1) correct -> less than 2 working days
2) >2 days -> D or T
3) >= 3 days most mail
-Answer can either be 2 with Repeat form
or
be 1 with contra positive.
-> most mail >= 3 days -> most mail Incorrect.

Hope this helps
Give Kudos if you understood this concept.

:)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 3
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
Re: Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Jun 2017, 06:25
Quote:
Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination within two business days of being sent. In fact, correctly addressed mail takes longer than this only when it is damaged in transit. Overall, however, most mail arrives three business days or more after being sent.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following must be true?

(A) A large proportion of the mail that is correctly addressed is damaged in transit.
(B) No incorrectly addressed mail arrives within two business days of being sent.
(C) Most mail that arrives within two business days of being sent is correctly addressed.
(D) A large proportion of mail is incorrectly addressed.
(E) More mail arrives within two business days of being sent than arrives between two and three business days after being sent


Verbal posting rules : [LINK]

Originally posted by lalitalalwani on 22 Jun 2017, 02:42.
Last edited by hazelnut on 22 Jun 2017, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting. Incorrect source tagged.
Manager
Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 215
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 03:34
1
lalitalalwani wrote:
Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination within two business days of being sent. In fact, correctly addressed mail takes longer than this only when it is damaged in transit. Overall, however, most mail arrives three business days or more after being sent.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must be true?
(A) A large proportion of the mail that is correctly addressed is damaged in transit.
(B) No incorrectly addressed mail arrives within two business days of being sent.
(C) Most mail that arrives within two business days of being sent is correctly addressed.
(D) A large proportion of mail is incorrectly addressed.
(E) More mail arrives within two business days of being sent than arrives between two and three business days after being sent


Please answer with the reasoning

1. 'Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination within two business days of being sent. In fact, correctly addressed mail takes longer than this only when it is damaged in transit.'
From this segment we can conclude that a very small proportion of the mail is damaged in transit.

2. 'Overall, however, most mail arrives three business days or more after being sent.'
This sentence can be rephrased to say that more than 50% of the mail arrives three business days or more after being sent.

From 1 and 2, we can conclude that mails may take more than three business days only if they are correctly addressed but damaged in transit or are incorrectly addressed.

(A) The stimulus clearly says that 'nearly all mail that is correctly addresses arrives within two days, Which means very few are damaged in transit. Hence this is wrong.
(B) There is nothing specified about the delivery timelines incorrectly addressed mails. So this is not necessarily true.
(C) Same as (B). We do not have details about incorrectly addressed mails that may reach within two days and how many of them may reach within two days.
(D) Correct choice. As we had concluded, mails take more than 3 business days only if they are correctly addressed but damaged in transit or are incorrectly addressed. Now the stimulus says that 'Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination within two business days of being sent'. This means a very small proportion of correctly addressed mail is damaged in transit. So the only explanation for most mail arriving after three business days or more is that most mails are incorrectly addressed.
(E) Again, no information provided about the breakup of mails that arrives within three business days. We just know that the total is less than 50% of all mails.
_________________

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 65
Location: India
Schools: LBS '18, ISB '19
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GPA: 3.21
Re: Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 04:51
hitman4683v1 wrote:
Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination within two business days of being sent. In fact, correctly addressed mail takes longer than this only when it is damaged in transit. Overall, however, most mail arrives three business days or more after being sent.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following must be true?

(A) A large proportion of the mail that is correctly addressed is damaged in transit.

(B) No incorrectly addressed mail arrives within two business days of being sent.

(C) Most mail that arrives within two business days of being sent is correctly addressed.

(D) A large proportion of mail is incorrectly addressed.

(E) More mail arrives within two business days of being sent than arrives between two and three business days after being sent.

Source : LSAT PrepTest20 Q#19


though not frequently observant in Gmat CR questions Lsat CR questions are full of conditional Reasoning

Lets solve it by conditional reasoning
A conditional reasoning requires a sufficient condition and a necessary condition
such that S-------N
Given
correctly addressed mail takes longer than this only when it is damaged in transit
P.s. in logic ladder ALL lies above MOST and SOME
We can from from ALL to MOST To SOME. But, reverse is not always true.
ex if all waiters serve ice cream we can say that most of the waiters serve ice cream.

Getting back HERE ONLY WHEN INTRODUCES A NECESSARY CONDITION
AND STATEMENT BEFORE IT IS SUFFICIENT CONDITION


is i write it in conditional if then form
it says that IF CORRECTLY ADDRESSED MAIL TAKES LONGER, THEN IT IS DAMAGED IN TRANSIT

a contrapositive of this statement will be IF MAIL IS NOT DAMAGED ,,THEN IT IS NOT CORRECTLY ADDRESSED , IT TAKES LONGER
combine this statement with last statement """Overall, however, most mail arrives three business days or more after being sent""".
we get option d A large proportion of mail is incorrectly addressed.
As most is synonymous with a large proportion ((( greater than 50 percent

There is no need to be stumbled by these kind of questions from Lsat. Till now i havent seen one conditional reasoning
question from Lsat posted on gmatclub , that is solved with the correct approach of conditional reasoning
And, this is fairly observant because conditional reasoning on gmat doesn't holds such a good ground ((( I havent seen any good gmat cr book explaining conditional reasoning tlll now
Re: Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination &nbs [#permalink] 22 Nov 2017, 04:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 52 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives at its destination

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.