Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72856 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Need Advice: Best GMAT Prep Course - Toronto [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sspady wrote:
Wow. Thank you for keeping this post alive. I was looking to take a course in Toronto for a while now, and there aren't any good resources that review courses in the the 4th biggest city in North America! I wish GMAT club had a dedicated page with good reviews of local Toronto courses.

The "verified" reviews are pretty useless, as they list mostly companies who don't even offer courses here, and a couple American companies that do, don't have offices in the city so there is noone to talk to. If I want to make an investment in a course, it's not just about the money, I want to make sure that the courses really will help me as a lot in my MBA application hinges on the GMAT score.

Anyway, I may be spending way too much time picking a course, but I actually visited all major local GMAT schools and I think I've made my decision. Won't write about it until completing the course, so will keep you posted!

Hi. Thank you for your feedback and look forward to hearing from you once you take the course. By the way, I see Veritas Prep has a course in Toronto
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-gmat-prep-courses/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
If you want to take prep course in Toronto, you can try New Oriental in Chinatown area. Not the one in Scarbough, but the rather old one. Or, otherwise, you can try knewton or manhattan gmat online course. Those are pretty helpful too.
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I was very happy with MGMAT, but you for every hour in the classroom, you should be spending ~3 hours studying. It is CRUCIAL to get through and understand all of the material (if you need that extra help).

Have you taken any practice exams yet to gauge yourself? You might not need a class if you're already proficient. Self studying might suffice.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mohater wrote:
I was very happy with MGMAT, but you for every hour in the classroom, you should be spending ~3 hours studying. It is CRUCIAL to get through and understand all of the material (if you need that extra help).

Have you taken any practice exams yet to gauge yourself? You might not need a class if you're already proficient. Self studying might suffice.

I'm trying to find a decent practice exam to gauge myself... but I don't want to waste one of the two gmatprep exams. I was told by peers to save the 2 tests till the very end. Is there any other practice test to gauge my ability that you would recommend?

The reason why I think I'm behind where I need to be (I need at least 700), is because I started working thru the OG12, and found that I was taking ages to get the problem solving questions done (average 3 minutes per question). In terms of scoring, for the problem solving, I'm getting between 80-90% of the questions right, however its taking way too long and I can't see myself getting it down to less than 2 minutes per question without help. In data sufficiency, once I get beyond the first 100 questions, I'm scoring about 70% correct, which is terrible, and I'm still taking over 3 minutes per question.

This was the reason for my panic... I grossly underestimated how long it would take for me to prepare and the difficulty of the questions. I kind of assumed I would just read the material and automatically get 700 because I am used to taking MC tests (Completed CFA) and have a sound finance background. I deserve what I'm going thru for underestimating, so rather than risk submitting a sub-700 score to the top 5 schools, I'm debating waiting till round two and taking a course to solidify my chances of scoring 700+.

Prior to OG12, all I did was the Kaplan Premiere book, which I found much easier than the OG.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72856 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks BB, that was very helpful. Sounds like the consensus is the Manhattan Gmat course is the best there is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Need Advice: Best GMAT Prep Course - Toronto [#permalink]
One word for you, Admit Master!

I took the GMAT Mastery Program classes in Jan. 2015. Here are a few points about these classes that, hopefully, will help others to choose what is best for their buck:

1. Class Size: Small, consists of a maximum 12 highly professional/educated individuals. There was an interview prior my registration for these classes, done by the instructor, to make sure the classes maintain their highest level of quality.

2. Course Martial: Very well organized in my (and my classmates') opinion. There is fair mixture of math and verbal with an emphasis on theory, followed by real GMAT questions. This not only helped to practice newly discussed theories, but also helped to retain them by using them on the actual questions.

3. Class Discussions: Class discussions were extremely important and were highly encouraged. I found them very helpful in my learning.

4. Instructor: My instructor, Sergey, was a very knowledgeable, approachable, and charismatic individual. No single questions were remained unanswered during or after the classes. He was always available to help student on different topic, from GMAT problems and concepts to MBA schools and post MBA careers; he was always available to listen, answer, and guide. In my opinion he really took each student's success very serious and personal.

Overall, it worth every penny and beyond. I did my research, and lots of it indeed, prior to signing up for Admit Master classes; and it proved to be a very good choice!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72856 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow! Old discussion. We have some new resources...
You can find the course reviews here: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/?fl=menu
Overview of GMAT Courses is here: best-gmat-courses-169396.html?fl=menu
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Wow. Thank you for keeping this post alive. I was looking to take a course in Toronto for a while now, and there aren't any good resources that review courses in the the 4th biggest city in North America! I wish GMAT club had a dedicated page with good reviews of local Toronto courses.

The "verified" reviews are pretty useless, as they list mostly companies who don't even offer courses here, and a couple American companies that do, don't have offices in the city so there is noone to talk to. If I want to make an investment in a course, it's not just about the money, I want to make sure that the courses really will help me as a lot in my MBA application hinges on the GMAT score.

Anyway, I may be spending way too much time picking a course, but I actually visited all major local GMAT schools and I think I've made my decision. Won't write about it until completing the course, so will keep you posted!
GMAT Club Bot