Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Wharton
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Retail)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Need an innovative advice/idea for consistent preparation [#permalink]
Quote:
The problem with my preparation is that when I start practicing quantitative or verbal I will practice continuously for 4-5 hours, else I wont touch the book at all.

This has been my problem too for a very long time and still takes conscious effort not to discard one-hour pockets of time (and waste them) just because I have the predisposition that "I'd better save this valuable material for when I have a larger chunk of time"...

The only panacea I have found is (very un-innovative) - to have a "plan"...

Meaning solely: Planning the SEQUENCE of thinks to learn.

Now, the "trick" that works for me is having 3 planned sequences (threads):

1) One for the large chunks of time that I will have - practice tests, etc.

2) One for smaller chunks of time, but in a "comfortable" learning environment - i.e. "I have 30 minutes only, but I have the materials before me, pen, paper and can comfortably reads, write, jot, solve, etc."

3) One for unpredictable pockets of time (with lesser quality), when I do not have all the materials before me, but carry a single preparatory item with me (such as flashcards, some fellow test-taker's shared notes, secondary/tertiary material that I would not spend my "best" time on, etc.)

(My fourth thread is actually listening to audio files, that I have prepared myself - when cooking, washing dishes, commuting, doing what you do in the morning, jogging, etc. - no other way to really learn during that time. The only time I have to worry about this "sequence" is when I actually put the audio files on my audio player...)

Now, this may turn out to be not such good advice, but it does work for me - just have these 3 sequences for these 3 types of clearly discernible situations.

It may not look too consistent, but neither all study time is made equal, nor all prep materials are made equal... and this is why it works for me.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
 Q31  V33 GMAT 2: 640  Q47  V31
Send PM
Yes, I start the day by reading 2-3 articles from my Business Week subscription on the train, then take my iPad out and try to do 5-10 SC/CR questions during lunch.

I have also stopped reading free newspapers like the London Evening Standard, since the quality of writing doesn't seem to aid me in my GMAT quest. I usually save those when I know that my concentration span is deteriorating.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
 Q31  V33 GMAT 2: 640  Q47  V31
Send PM
I find that it is easy for me to absorb information just before sleeping. I was reading an article about the earthquake in Japan last week just before sleeping and the 2nd day I could recall stats/facts etc.

The TED talks on the iPad app are also quite good. There was this talk about compassion in the business environment by Google Engineer Chade-Meng Tan and how compassion can also benefit modern businesses.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Schools:Fuqua
GMAT 2: 650
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Send PM
I honestly think you need to make your own motivation. What motivates someone else, will not necessarily motivate you. Why don't you google motivational posters and put one up on your wall? Makes as much sense as someone telling you to do 30 minutes versus 4 hours versus 10 hours. You need to wrap your own head around the topics, not someone else's study plan/guide etc

Just a thought, not trying to be mean, :)

EDIT: or put up pictures of the bschools you want to apply to?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Thanks for all your replies, the main crux of this post was to know about people with similar preparation issues got out of it.

@Wishbone: What you had mentioned is absolutely correct, but there are so many stories worth inspiring in this forum, hence finding out a similar story to get self motivated :)

@thetiming: Thanks for your ideas, I finally found one with similar problem.
GMAT Club Bot