Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Answers
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Need GMAT Strategy Help!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
JJ2014 wrote:
Hi everyone,

My test date is approaching quickly, but unfortunately my test scores are not increasing just as quickly. I am writing down my studying experience with exam scores thus far- hopefully someone can give me some solid advice!!

My test date is in early March 2013 and I started browsing the GMAT material in July 2012. I studied on and off, and started seriously studying in September. I'm not sure I'm taking the best approaches though. Here are my scores so far:

July2012: 470 (Q25/V29)
September2012: 560 (Q34/V34), 600 (Q34/V37)
Oct2012: 580 (Q33/V37), 580 (Q37/V31)
Dec2012: 570 (Q32/V32), 640 (Q36/V44), 630 (Q42/V35), 590 (Q43/V26), 580 (Q41, V28)
Jan2013: 620 (Q39/V35)

I underlined the scores where I got my highest verbal and quant raw scores- hopefully this means that I'm capable of achieving 40+ on both sections. My target is 700+, and I'm beginning to really worry because I'm so inconsistent (or consistently) under my target score.

My strategy so far has been to do the Veritas Prep homework and the OG13 questions. I took a Veritas classroom course because I really haven't taken any math classes since I was in HS- and it looks like it helped a little bit, but somehow my verbal score plummeted. I have an inkling that I'm focusing too much on practice problem quantity instead of quality now- so if you have strategy tips, I would REALLY appreciate it!!!

First of all, I think this is commendable performance. From 470, you have come a long way to 620. The good part is that a 150 point increase is not easy to come by. The bad part is that after 600-650, it gets harder to improve further. At 600, your basics are in place and you know how to solve most easy and quite a few medium level questions. But there is a gap in medium to hard questions. I would suggest you to review your tests and write down the topics you make maximum mistakes in. Then tackle them one by one starting with the basic theory from your books, moving on to practice questions from the books, then from OG and then from this forum. Try to work on one Quant and one Verbal topic everyday. Continue this till mid Feb. Then take a GMAT prep test. Again, note down the topics you make maximum mistakes in. For the next 3 weeks, work on those.
Thereafter, review and relax in the leftover time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you all VERY VERY much!!! I will try these suggestions and hopefully see progress..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've been hitting 640 now.. but my goal is 710. I decided to postpone my test until May. I hope this will help me better prepare!! I hear that the jump from mid-600 to 700+ is the hardest. Any other advice tips?? Thank you!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
JJ2014 wrote:
I've been hitting 640 now.. but my goal is 710. I decided to postpone my test until May. I hope this will help me better prepare!! I hear that the jump from mid-600 to 700+ is the hardest. Any other advice tips?? Thank you!

Whats your Quant/Verbal split and how do you fare in different topics (algebra/geometry/number properties etc) and different question types (DS/PS/CR/SC/RC)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
JJ2014 wrote:

Whats your Quant/Verbal split and how do you fare in different topics (algebra/geometry/number properties etc) and different question types (DS/PS/CR/SC/RC)?

Thank you for replying! I'm at Q41/42, V36/37. I know I struggle with number properties and make a lot of careless mistakes. Otherwise, I'm really not sure what specific area I've been having trouble with. It feels like I get a few of everything wrong... What's the best way to get myself to be aware of areas that I need to fix?
GMAT Club Bot