Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Need help, went from 590 to 580 after around 4 weeks of prep [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi TheJackster,

What is the exact application deadline that you're facing? I ask because you will likely need as much potential study time as you can get to hit a 700+. While you might be able to 'cram' in the necessary math knowledge (as you've described), there isn't any evidence yet that this will happen (or that it will lead you to a higher score). Beyond the necessary 'knowledge' you will also have to train in the proper Tactics, patterns and little 'secrets' to the GMAT - and all of that training will take time. Thus, you have to decide whether you should continue on with your current plan/timeline or change to a different plan (or potentially do both). Thus, we need as much available information on the one Program that you're interested in. Once you have provided that, we can discuss the most efficient way to approach your studies going forward.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Need help, went from 590 to 580 after around 4 weeks of prep [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi TheJackster,

What is the exact application deadline that you're facing? I ask because you will likely need as much potential study time as you can get to hit a 700+. While you might be able to 'cram' in the necessary math knowledge (as you've described), there isn't any evidence yet that this will happen (or that it will lead you to a higher score). Beyond the necessary 'knowledge' you will also have to train in the proper Tactics, patterns and little 'secrets' to the GMAT - and all of that training will take time. Thus, you have to decide whether you should continue on with your current plan/timeline or change to a different plan (or potentially do both). Thus, we need as much available information on the one Program that you're interested in. Once you have provided that, we can discuss the most efficient way to approach your studies going forward.

Rich

My application deadline is on 31 January 2018. I'm interested in a kind of dual MSc program, getting a MSc in International Management and receiving a certificate of the CEMS organization. However, I have to do the GMAT before the second week of November, since I am going to travel abroad for 2 months (with tickets having booked already...).

I took a GMATPrep test, since a lot of people told me that MGMAT CAT's are somewhat harder. I scored a 630 (Q44, V32)! As said before, I haven't studied for Verbal, only practised, which could explain why my Verbal hasn't improved. I also need to improve my speed, since I had to basically guess the last 6 questions of Q and the last 4 of Verbal.

Do you think I can improve enough to score a 700+ with 6 weeks of prep time left? How would you suggest me to study these 6 weeks? Or do you think I need more than and if so, how much longer would you suggest?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi TheJackster,

Assuming that you took this CAT in a realistic fashion, then you appear to be improving. In addition, if you haven't done much Verbal studying yet, then you could potentially pick up a bunch of points in that section once you start studying SC, RC and CR. Since you're working through a study plan right now, there's a certain logic to have you finish that study plan. Unfortunately, no one here can tell you whether you will continue to improve by studying the current way that you are studying or not - so I would assume that you should stick with what you are doing right now. You should plan to take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT in a 1-2 weeks and we can use that result to decide whether you should continue with this plan or change it for the final 4-6 weeks of your studies.

Rich
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32841 [0]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheJackster wrote:
Hello,

In May, I took a GMATPrep practice test cold and scored a 590 (Q36, V:35). I have been studying on and off and went on holiday for the whole month of July. I followed Magoosh's 3 month study guide for beginners very loosely (studied 1-2 days per week), but was at week 3 when I went on holiday. Once I got back, I started studying again around the end of August. This time I followed the study plan day by day and even did 2 days in one day, since I have too much time (no uni atm).

So today I did my first MGMAT CAT and felt pretty confident, but I scored a 580 (Q:39 and V:31)... I haven't studied consistently until last month, so I know that that is part of the problem. Still, all in all, I studied around 4 weeks and haven't even improved my score. A real bummer, since I'm taking the GMAT in the first week of November and am aiming for a 700+...

So, I desperately need help and advice. I felt pretty confident today, but feel like I haven't learned a single thing at all... Which is visible by my CAT score..

I have 6 weeks left and I'm studying around 40-45 hours each week. I'm currently at Week 6 of Magoosh's 3-month beginner plan and am doing 2 days of this plan per day now. This would mean I have around 3 weeks left once I finished Magoosh's study plan, which I want to spend by doing some MGMAT volumes (only the volumes that tackle the subjects I'm bad at). Is this a good study plan? How should I optimize my study plan?

My current resources are:
- OG pack
- Magoosh premium subscription
- MGMAT all 10 volumes

I really really appreciate any help!

Posted from my mobile device

Hi

I felt pretty confident today, but feel like I haven't learned a single thing at all.

This is a common phenomenon with most of Students so dont worry about that

I'm studying around 40-45 hours each week

I am not agree with so much labor 20 hours a week study is the extreme limit IMO. 3-4 Hours a day is good enough, Its completely a physical labor not a smart work if you want to get 700+ score its better to reschedule Test but 45hours/week= almost 7 hours a day

Learn the concepts tested on GMAT. After learning, practice your learned section with timed practice. You can also take quizzes to meet the pace of GMAT. 1 Month for learning concepts and 15 days of practice and same with the verbal. When completed all the concepts learning and handsome practice. Take full lenght CATs, know your estimated score. Analyze the result with Correct/incorrect questions, pacing analysis trace your mistakes and learn from them, make an error log to know your mistakes in the previously attempted questions

Best Mocks

1. Official GMAC (50+50$)
2. Manhattan GMAT (49$)
3. GMAT Club Quant CATs (80$)
4. Veritas CATs (49$ but you can buy at 15-20$ During sale period)

Good Luck
Cheers :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2852 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
TheJackster wrote:
Hello,

In May, I took a GMATPrep practice test cold and scored a 590 (Q36, V:35). I have been studying on and off and went on holiday for the whole month of July. I followed Magoosh's 3 month study guide for beginners very loosely (studied 1-2 days per week), but was at week 3 when I went on holiday. Once I got back, I started studying again around the end of August. This time I followed the study plan day by day and even did 2 days in one day, since I have too much time (no uni atm).

So today I did my first MGMAT CAT and felt pretty confident, but I scored a 580 (Q:39 and V:31)... I haven't studied consistently until last month, so I know that that is part of the problem. Still, all in all, I studied around 4 weeks and haven't even improved my score. A real bummer, since I'm taking the GMAT in the first week of November and am aiming for a 700+...

So, I desperately need help and advice. I felt pretty confident today, but feel like I haven't learned a single thing at all... Which is visible by my CAT score..

I have 6 weeks left and I'm studying around 40-45 hours each week. I'm currently at Week 6 of Magoosh's 3-month beginner plan and am doing 2 days of this plan per day now. This would mean I have around 3 weeks left once I finished Magoosh's study plan, which I want to spend by doing some MGMAT volumes (only the volumes that tackle the subjects I'm bad at). Is this a good study plan? How should I optimize my study plan?

My current resources are:
- OG pack
- Magoosh premium subscription
- MGMAT all 10 volumes

I really really appreciate any help!

Posted from my mobile device

Hi,

I think you should focus on your Quant. I think MGMAT guides are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. Just by going through these guides and solving the OG will help you reach 600+. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 and the Quant review for some great additional practice.

Hope this helps. All the best.
GMAT Club Bot