Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Send PM
Re: Need honest response [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Fatineel wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
Fatineel wrote:
Hi,
I was denied from the MS Finance in Escp Europe, and I still don’t have an answer from Essec about the Master in Finance.
Is there a good chance that I will not be accepted in Essec ?

What are your reviews about the Msc in Corporate Finance and Banking from Edhec ?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi

- Would be able to provide a more thought through opinion if you can provide details on your profile
- People do get accepted into the ESSEC program this late as well. Is not a lost cause for you. Rest, whether you will be accepted, depends on the strength of your profile and your application.
- The EDHEC program is a good one, but would recommend the EDHEC MSc in Finance over the MSc in Corp Fin and Banking

As for the the overall profile : I graduated last year from a top business school in Morocco (actually ESSEC told me they appreciate a lot my school) and I am currently working Full time in a French Bank in financial services but not as a Investment Banking Analyst (we are direclty attached to the IB division).I , had 3 internships in banks (asset management, risk management and investment banking, excelled in the last one, got a letter of recommandation from the investment banker).
I was co founder in a club for education, raised money through sponsorship. I also won 4 national competition (hackathons) (three of them 1st place as project leader), and ranked 3rd in a trading competition in my school and I participated in several other competitions to work on my communication and negociation skills.
As for the gpa we don’t really have a system of gpa, i tried to do conversion based on a matrix I found in the GMAC website and found my gpa ‪between 3.4 and 3.6‬ but I am not really sure. As for the management aptitude test, and because I am french speaker I passed the Tage Mage and got 393 (which is considered a really good score given that there’s rumors floating around that BS do prefer applicabt with above 350) I got 970/990 in the Toeic test.

For the ESCP Europe, I had problems in the process of paying the application fees (not that I didn’t have the money, but they emailed me the procedure much later).

You do have an excellent profile. Would certainly say that your chances of making it to ESSEC should be good.

On ESCP, do try and contact them and speak to the admissions team. If you got accepted but could not pay the deposit on time (and part of it was their fault), then they should be willing to reconsider.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:

You do have an excellent profile. Would certainly say that your chances of making it to ESSEC should be good.

On ESCP, do try and contact them and speak to the admissions team. If you got accepted but could not pay the deposit on time (and part of it was their fault), then they should be willing to reconsider.

You meant “did not got accepted “?

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Fatineel wrote:
GyanOne wrote:

You meant “did not got accepted “?

Misunderstood. Thought you got accepted and then could not pay the deposit. Now realize it is the application fee for which you were delayed. Ok, understood on ESCP. Look at ESSEC/EDHEC for now. If any other way we can help, just post and will respond. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for your help !

One last question, I’ve actually talked with the admission team and they said that I was eligible more for the Msc Corporate Finance and banking in Edhec because I don’t have a mathematical background for the Msc Finance.

I was wondering if the Msc Corporate Finance is worth it and what are the job prospect ?

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Fatineel wrote:

One last question, I’ve actually talked with the admission team and they said that I was eligible more for the Msc Corporate Finance and banking in Edhec because I don’t have a mathematical background for the Msc Finance.

I was wondering if the Msc Corporate Finance is worth it and what are the job prospect ?

Sure, most welcome.

Their advice seems a bit off. You have internships in asset management and IB, and a strong GPA. You have a business degree as well. Have you lacked taking courses in Calculus? That can be the only thing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
We did have a course about Mathematics and Financial Mathematics, I think the Msc Finance in Edhec is for people who don’t have previous background in finance.

I am very thankful for all your replies !

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Fatineel wrote:
We did have a course about Mathematics and Financial Mathematics, I think the Msc Finance in Edhec is for people who don’t have previous background in finance.

I am very thankful for all your replies !

Hi Fatineel

No, that is not the case. We have had several clients from a practically zero Finance/business background who got in, but all of them did have a solid mathematics background. Some were engineers. Still, you can try apply to both programs and see. Alternatively, you can look at other schools. Do not give up, though. You have an excellent profile, and you deserve great things.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Fatineel wrote:

Hey Fatineel,

While the quants/mathematics background is not mandatory for the program, showcasing a quantitative acumen is necessary. If you highlight your quantitative acumen properly, you can consider the MSc Finance program as well.However, as the Adcom personally given you feedback, I would suggest you to apply to a mix of other MFin programs as well. Regarding EDHEC's MSc in Corporate Finance, the program has some pretty good reviews. Also, EDHEC has established a brand for its finance programs, so this would reflect on the opportunities that you get on campus as well. Check out the typical job roles you can get after the MSc in corporate finance, and if feel that the jobs interest you, then go for it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I am indian undergraduate student.

Bachelor of management studies major in finance from mumbai University ( cgpa. 8).
HSC from State board with 74%.
SSC from State board with 77%.

Frm exam 1
Corporate finance from columbia business school through edx.

Gmat: 720.

TECHNICAL SKILLS; Windows,C,C#.

AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS;
2nd prize in ad-mad for the topic : mutual fund.
Participated in various sports.
Volunteering in national service scheme.
Volunteer of local ngo.
Various certifications related to maths in school days.

3 months internship in iifl indian financial company.

Language;
Hindi
Marathi
English
French A2 level

What are my chances in top 15 msc finance pre experience universities ?

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Rahul9324 wrote:
I am indian undergraduate student.

Bachelor of management studies major in finance from mumbai University ( cgpa. 8).
HSC from State board with 74%.
SSC from State board with 77%.

Frm exam 1
Corporate finance from columbia business school through edx.

Gmat: 720.

TECHNICAL SKILLS; Windows,C,C#.

AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS;
2nd prize in ad-mad for the topic : mutual fund.
Participated in various sports.
Volunteering in national service scheme.
Volunteer of local ngo.
Various certifications related to maths in school days.

3 months internship in iifl indian financial company.

Language;
Hindi
Marathi
English
French A2 level

What are my chances in top 15 msc finance pre experience universities ?

Hi Rahul9324

Pretty solid chances in the top 5 programs itself, if you put in strong applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Which bschools should i target?

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Need honest response [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey Rahul9324,
I must say, you have a pretty interesting profile and a pretty good GMAT score.
Since you have no schools shortlisted at the moment, what I always suggest is to apply to a minimum of 6 schools and bucket them into a dream, competitive and safe categories - This is a great strategy to get into the best program that fits your profile.
Any particular country you are targeting?
According to your profile and the details you have provided here’s a rough categorization of the schools you can target:
DREAM: NYU, Boston Questorm, HEC Paris
COMPETITIVE: Washington University , Schulich
SAFE: Skema

Coming back to evaluating your profile, when we talk about schools like NYU and HEC note that these schools attract stellar profiles from around the world. So even with a good profile yourself, you start off almost without any advantages. Your profile will have a bit of a competitive advantage when you are targeting safe schools, but to target(dream school), you would need a very STRONG DIFFERENTIATOR - what is it about you that sets you apart from other 8000 odd applicants. The answer can come from either your current profile or through linking your long term goals to key milestones of your profile.
In my experience, the latter works out better.

While your extracurriculars are pretty good, what the adcoms are looking for is either a very good mix of different activities or just1/2 activities where you have taken things to the next level. ( You can skip the school level activities and just focus on the strong experience during and post your graduation).
Secondly while pursuing financial courses comes handy, it is not much of a differentiator as every second applicant is into MOOCs. I would suggest you check out CFA, all major MFin Schools value this certification.
You need to brainstorm and see which strategy you would like to use to portray your extra-curricular.

Lack of international experience can be a bit of a roadblock; this is not a deal-breaker though. You can use other profile strengths to compensate for it.

You can further take up our free of cost profile evaluation to clarify all your school-related doubts and fortify your decision in shortlisting schools according to your profile. https://mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gcf

Hope this helped!
GMAT Club Bot
Need honest response [#permalink]
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts