GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 01 Apr 2020, 01:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need profile evaluation and advice

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Need profile evaluation and advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2013, 12:50
Hello All,

I'm a confused 23 year old looking for advice. I am currently working for my father's manufacturing company and have been for the past 2 years. I know he is willing to give the business to me once he retires but I don't see myself happily doing this for the rest of my life. He is also a general contractor and I know that if I want to successfully run this business I will have to learn tons about the construction industry which I just do not have any passion for. I've been looking into an MBA to keep my future career options open but I'm not sure what I should specialize in yet (marketing, finance, operations, etc.) and also do not know what industry I should look to work in. I don't know enough about any field yet to know what I want to do so any information I could read about the various fields would be helpful as well.

Education

-I have a Economics B.A. from UC San Diego. My degree is with distinction and I have a 3.64 GPA with an upward trend as I went through undergrad.
-I took multiple courses in Econometrics although I have not used any if it since graduation and don't remember too much about any of the coursework.
-I knew that my father's company was always going to be there for me and I incorrectly assumed that I would be fine with doing it forever so I never really got any internships to apply what I learned in school. I also never participated in any special projects in school that would help me become a better MBA candidate.

Work Experience

-2 years and counting at my father's company.
-I mainly do sales so I mostly take customer phone calls and assist them through purchases. Most of our customers are mainly contractors so I just quote them the equipment and give them any other information they'll need. I won't go too much into detail about the work experience because I don't feel like it would be my strongest point on my application.

Extra Curricular
-Unfortunately I wouldn't say I have any at the moment. I am thinking about some volunteer opportunities but haven't looked into it too much yet. I would most likely look for some tutoring opportunities although I'm not sure how helpful that could be towards my application.

GMAT
-I'm scheduled to take it in about 2.5 months and currently self-studying with a couple books. I just started studying recently and got a 650 on one of the free tests from the official GMAT website. I am confident I can improve alot considering the mistakes I made on the test. I'm aiming to at least get 700-750 on the exam.

Schools
-I live in Los Angeles and would like to stay in Los Angeles. So far I've been considering UCLA, USC, Claremont, and UC Irvine. I know UCLA is ranked the highest so I would be hoping to go there. Again, I don't know what I want to specialize in yet so I'm not sure which program would be the best fit. I am definitely leaving the manufacturing/construction industry so I wouldn't be concerned with those.

Basically, I have no idea what to do with my life and right now I would say the MBA is probably my best and most realistic chance of doing something I can be good at and also enjoy. I have no idea which direction to go in and don't know anybody in real life that could help guide me towards the right decision. I would appreciate any feedback you guys could give me. I know I haven't provided as many details as necessary to provide me an accurate evaluation so I'll answer any questions you guys may have.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Need profile evaluation and advice   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2013, 12:50

Need profile evaluation and advice

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste