GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 11:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Negotiating MBA Scholarship Offer

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Babson   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Negotiating MBA Scholarship Offer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 17:36
Hi!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but would appreciate any input.
I just finished a video chat with a current MBA student of the B-school that offered me a partial scholarship.

She told me that I could negotiate for a higher scholarship but my problem is I already accepted their offer and made the first deposit.

Would I still be able to negotiate for that higher scholarship or should I just proceed with the rest of the application and avoid looking rude?

Thank you in advance for any response! :)
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 18:04
Welcome to GMAT Club.
Congrats on the offer and scholarship.

Schools rarely negotiate scholarships as money is usually pre-allocated and usually the only sweetener they throw in is a small fellowship or GA position. I am surprised the student mentioned you could. Perhaps you should ask her/him about how to approach this situation if this has been done.

It is not unheard of for a school to offer something slightly better (e.g. 60k instead of 50k but that's rare and you usually have to have another offer at hand).

I don't know how your position to negotiate would be without another offer in hand and already having paid the deposit. You probably don't want to bluff and say you have an offer (that would be lying and dishonest). The only other way I can think of is to say something has changed and hope the adcom would feel sorry enough to give you more money. In other words probably 5% get more money based on a very non scientific estimate. You are not the one who is missing out really. These opportunities are really for those 5% of us he situations.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Re: Negotiating MBA Scholarship Offer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 22:19
Hi BB!

Thank you for the quick response.

The other student negotiated her the scholarship before she accepted the school's offer.

I'll try my luck but will have to take a different angle on it as you mentioned :)
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 18:38
On the same topic. What's the best way to negotiate anyways? Let's say before paying the deposit?
What all tips and tricks can we use?
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 18:51
Yes, once you accept and put down a deposit you lose leverage here and should probably just move forward without negotiating. Congrats on receiving an offer!

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 20:18
Rohit6 wrote:
On the same topic. What's the best way to negotiate anyways? Let's say before paying the deposit?
What all tips and tricks can we use?

Hey Rohit6 and luckymba:

If you want some specific advice about how to nicely negotiate your financial aid package, please read over what my business partner – Adam Hoff – wrote on the Amerasia Consulting blog.

5 Tips for Negotiating Your Offer of Admission — Amerasia Consulting Group

Today's blog post is about negotiating your offer of admission ... except that it's not.  Because "negotiation" is not what you do when it comes to securing more financial aid from a business school.  The term of art for what you are going to be doing is "asking."

Let us explain...

Source: 5 Tips for Negotiating Your Offer of Admission — Amerasia Consulting Group - <http://www.amerasiaconsulting.com/blog/2011/03/21/negotiating-the-offer>

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 08:53
luckymba wrote:
Hi! I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but would appreciate any input.
I just finished a video chat with a current MBA student of the B-school that offered me a partial scholarship.

She told me that I could negotiate for a higher scholarship but my problem is I already accepted their offer and made the first deposit.

Would I still be able to negotiate for that higher scholarship or should I just proceed with the rest of the application and avoid looking rude?

bb wrote:
Welcome to GMAT Club.
Congrats on the offer and scholarship.

Schools rarely negotiate scholarships as money is usually pre-allocated and usually the only sweetener they throw in is a small fellowship or GA position. I am surprised the student mentioned you could. Perhaps you should ask her/him about how to approach this situation if this has been done.

It is not unheard of for a school to offer something slightly better (e.g. 60k instead of 50k but that's rare and you usually have to have another offer at hand).

I don't know how your position to negotiate would be without another offer in hand and already having paid the deposit. You probably don't want to bluff and say you have an offer (that would be lying and dishonest). The only other way I can think of is to say something has changed and hope the adcom would feel sorry enough to give you more money. In other words probably 5% get more money based on a very non scientific estimate. You are not the one who is missing out really. These opportunities are really for those 5% of us he situations.

Good luck!

My take on this topic is in line with the rest of the comments here. First you are NOT negotiating but simply asking a school if there might be any more they can do. You are in a better position here if you have NOT already paid your deposit AND if you have a better deal from a similarly ranked school. And then you have to be exceptionally NICE and polite about it- you explain your situation and your real needs and if you have it- the other offer that is so tempting... but then you explain you want to just see if you can find out if the school you want more can possibly match what you have elsewhere- and how that would make your financial situation better for x reason... As long as you are polite and don't treat the school like you think you deserve more or that you are playing schools against each other...just see if you have any wiggle room. I think situations like this are better done in a call- maybe use email to set up a time to talk. And be sure the first thing is how excited you are to attend this program... and then explain your situation... like another similar ranked school has offered this .... and you feel like you'd like to at least check to see if there is any flexibility there. Then you wait... and you are polite and gracious through the process... and who knows... something good might happen but as long as you are not aggressive or impolite about it, no harm should happen either! If you would like to walk through your messaging with people who were on the adcom side before talking to the actual school- we at Stratus have former adcom people and we can do that in a very small amount of time... so to find out more on this... go to this link: http://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/ ... b-visitor/
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 04:21
luckymba wrote:
Hi!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but would appreciate any input.

congrats
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Negotiating MBA Scholarship Offer   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2017, 04:21

Negotiating MBA Scholarship Offer

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate