GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 05:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Neither extensive experience in a field nor access to exhaustive indus

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
CAT Tests
Neither extensive experience in a field nor access to exhaustive indus  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 10:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:41) correct 52% (01:51) wrong based on 122 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Neither extensive experience in a field nor access to exhaustive industry data, by itself, establishes an executive's ability to make appropriate decisions. Both are required simultaneously since experience can blind one to logical conclusions drawn from data, and exhaustive data is almost always, by definition, a way of measuring past trends that may or may not continue.
If the facts stated in the passage above are true, a proper test of an executive’s ability to make appropriate decisions is its ability to

(A) use knowledge gained from experience to determine which trends are likely to continue.
(B) use knowledge gained from experience to direct data-collection efforts.
(C) amass data that competitors are not collecting so that knowledge gained from experience can be set aside.
(D) establish the technical infrastructure to collect data that supports the conclusions drawn from extensive experience.
(E) hire middle managers who can maintain the appropriate balance between experience-based and data-based decision-making.

Good, good Let the kudos flow through you

Thread Master - Part Time MBA Programs
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.32
WE: Operations (Retail)
Re: Neither extensive experience in a field nor access to exhaustive indus  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 11:39
Answer A. You need both experience and data to make decisions. Data is used to measure past trends that will trend or not.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Neither extensive experience in a field nor access to exhaustive indus  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 12:05
hanamana wrote:
Answer A. You need both experience and data to make decisions. Data is used to measure past trends that will trend or not.

in option A, it's only talking about "experience based" decision without mentioning "Data driven" decision anywhere. so how can it be correct ?

In option D:- it states a process where both experience and data is used simultaneously in making a decision. so i guess this may be correct. not sure.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 12:06
hanamana wrote:

in option A, it's only talking about "experience based" decision without mentioning "Data driven" decision anywhere. so how can it be correct ?

In option D:- it states a process where both experience and data is used simultaneously in making a decision. so i guess this may be correct. not sure.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 12:07
hanamana wrote:

In option D:- it states a process where both experience and data are used simultaneously in making a decision. so i guess this may be correct. not sure.
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 12:10
shiva007 wrote:
hanamana wrote:

In option D:- it states a process where both experience and data are used simultaneously in making a decision. so i guess this may be correct. not sure.

I missed the last part of answer choice A. I agree with you it should be D. Thanks for the input.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 00:35
shiva007 wrote:
hanamana wrote:

"A" talks about picking a Trend(which is data driven output) based in Extensive Experience.... Mix of both....

"D" talks about modifying the data driven approach to always support the Extensive Experience decision. Basically Modify one to support the other.

Shouldn't A be right?

Posted from my mobile device
S
Neither extensive experience in a field nor access to exhaustive indus  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 14:33
now I am real confused lol what is the correct answer?

EDIT: was my original answer choice A correct? either or, I didn't fully understand this passage as I went back and forth between A and D.
CR Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 02:13
Princ wrote:
Neither extensive experience in a field nor access to exhaustive industry data, by itself, establishes an executive's ability to make appropriate decisions. Both are required simultaneously since experience can blind one to logical conclusions drawn from data, and exhaustive data is almost always, by definition, a way of measuring past trends that may or may not continue.
If the facts stated in the passage above are true, a proper test of an executive’s ability to make appropriate decisions is its ability to

(A) use knowledge gained from experience to determine which trends are likely to continue.
(B) use knowledge gained from experience to direct data-collection efforts.
(C) amass data that competitors are not collecting so that knowledge gained from experience can be set aside.
(D) establish the technical infrastructure to collect data that supports the conclusions drawn from extensive experience.
(E) hire middle managers who can maintain the appropriate balance between experience-based and data-based decision-making.

Princ

Please post OE for this.

Thanks!

Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 02:24
Can someone please explain why D is incorrect . I was confused in A and D and finally marked D as the answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 07:12

Official Explanation

This is a sort of inference question; it is a little different than usual because so much of the conclusion ("a proper test of an executive’s. . . ") is in the question itself. The passage emphasizes a balance between experience- and data-based decisions.

Choice (A) is reasonable: it suggests executives should be able to use one type of decision-making to support the other.
(B) is close, but not as good, as directing data-collection efforts doesn't necessarily mean one will use the results of the data.
(C) is wrong, since the passage emphasizes using both types of decision-making, not mastering one in order to ignore the other.
Choice (D), like (C), places one type of decision-making over the other-" data that supports the conclusions. . . "
(E) is off-topic, as the passage is about executive decision-making, not about hiring employees and/or delegating decision-making.
Choice (A) is correct.

Good, good Let the kudos flow through you

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Neither extensive experience in a field nor access to exhaustive indus &nbs [#permalink] 27 Sep 2018, 07:12

Neither extensive experience in a field nor access to exhaustive indus

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap