It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 18:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 08 Dec 2015
Posts: 315
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Reviews Badge
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 03:16
egmat,

A question, in the course you say that , -ing mod modifies the preceding CLAUSE. However "Neuroscientists" is not a clause, its a Subject\noun, so is the ,-ing construction correct?.. I eliminated A because of it. I thought that construction without comma would be the correct one since if there is no comma, then -ing modifies the preceding noun.

Thank you!
e-GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3315
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 00:45
iliavko wrote:
egmat,

A question, in the course you say that , -ing mod modifies the preceding CLAUSE. However "Neuroscientists" is not a clause, its a Subject\noun, so is the ,-ing construction correct?.. I eliminated A because of it. I thought that construction without comma would be the correct one since if there is no comma, then -ing modifies the preceding noun.

Thank you!


Present participle modifiers (-ing modifiers) can work the same way any other modifier does: modifying the noun touching the modifier. In addition, these modifiers may also be used to modify either the preceding clause or the subject of the preceding clause.
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 813
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 02:04
iliavko wrote:
A question, in the course you say that , -ing mod modifies the preceding CLAUSE. However "Neuroscientists" is not a clause, its a Subject\noun, so is the ,-ing construction correct?

Well, since this is an official question, it is obviously correct.

Quote:
I thought that construction without comma would be the correct one since if there is no comma, then -ing modifies the preceding noun.

Yes, but that is only true if there is a clause before the present participial phrase.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 08 Dec 2015
Posts: 315
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Reviews Badge
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 02:51
Thank you for the replies.

Does it mean that the comma after Neuroscientists is optional?
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 813
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 03:40
iliavko wrote:
Thank you for the replies.

Does it mean that the comma after Neuroscientists is optional?

Oh no; without a comma, the having + past-participle structure is always incorrect on GMAT.

You might want to remember this. Let me know and I can dig out an official example in this regard.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 113
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2016, 12:38
Dear Daagh
Please explain when to use having +past participle as a modifier and get sure that it is correct sentence. is it meaning that forces to accept such construction. I always read advises to go away from such construction in answer choices.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Posts: 90
Location: United States (MI)
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.6
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 11:36
egmat wrote:
Image


Hi Mugdha,

Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.

Once again, I would say that you have done a good job in analyzing this one. However, the clause split for this one is not accurate. Let's look at the clauses in this sentence:

Cl. 1: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are now drawing solid conclusions about
Cl. 2: how the human brain grows and
Cl. 3: how babies acquire language.

Since we cannot have a clause without an SV pair, the additional information cannot be identified as a clause because it does not have a Subject and a Verb.

I would never advise to skip the additional information completely while doing the PoE. The best way to answer questions where answer choices confuse us is to stay focused on the meaning of the sentence. You have understood the intended meaning of this sentence alright. Now let's compare that meaning with the meaning that we get from choices D and E.

Choice D: Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, - Per this choice, now the focus (main point) of the sentence is that Neuroscientists have amassed a lot of knowledge... However, per the original sentence, the focus of the sentence is that Neuroscientists are now drawing conclusions... This choice shifts the focus of the sentence completely. The main point of the sentence in Choice A is now an additional information in this choice. On this basis, we can eliminate this answer choice.

Choice E: Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, - Incorrect for the same reason as explained above.

So keep the intended logical meaning of the sentence as the main guide while doing the PoE.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha



This is what your response was in a previous post

Choice D: Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood: Incorrect. In this choice, "now drawing" acts as a comma + verb-ing modifier. The focus on the main information here has shifted from " are now developing" in the original sentence to "have amassed". In the original sentence, the action that is primary is "now developing" and "amassing knowledge" comes as an additional information. This choic reverses that order by making the main action additional information and the additional information into the main action. This is a clear shift in the intended meaning.


Can you please explain if the rule that you have explained before is valid for this question?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Status: Countdown Begins...
Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 308
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2016, 06:52
IMO A.

D and E are missing verb - 'are'.
B and C - meaning error.
_________________

Need Kudos to unlock GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2015
Posts: 110
GPA: 3.92
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2016, 21:13
Got this one in ~20 seconds. Just had to check for what came after the second comma.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 473
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 01:43
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

2) Modifier “having amassed…” correctly modifies the preceding noun neuroscientists. There is no construction error in the modifying phrase also. Thus, there is no error in this sentence.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

''Having'' is an adverbial modifier; it modifies WHOLE the clause before it. So, how an adverbial modifier modifies a single word ''Neuroscientists''?
Thank you__
_________________

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Dec 2013
Posts: 235
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 10:22
RenukaD wrote:
Neuroscientists,having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.

A)Neuroscientists,having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about how the human brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are

B)Neuroscientists,having amassed a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years,and are

C)Neuroscientists amassing a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years,and are

D)Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood,

E) Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood ,

It will be helpful if experts can advise the solution and reason for the solution


A Correct.
B The phrase before "and are" is a fragment.
C The phrase before "and are" is a fragment.
D The phrase "now drawing" is a fragment.
E The phrase "now drawing" is a fragment.
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 504
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 18:23
Hi, Please correct option A . I eliminated option A because of awkwardness I saw after comparing 2 options.

Option A in the above question is different from what it is given in the stimulus. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 251
Location: United States
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 08:12
Neuroscientists,having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.

Ignoring the fluff in the original sentence shows that only choice A is correct in using the phrase 'Neuroscientists are now drawing....'

B & C- use an incorrect conjunction 'and'
D & E- skip the verb altogether and is wrong.
_________________

Kudosity killed the cat but your kudos can save it.

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4327
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 09:43
Top Contributor
Quote:
Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years

There is some doubt about this structure that since having amassed is an adverbial modifier, it should modify the previous clause and since there is no clause before the said modifier, but only a noun, this structure is inherently wrong.
IMO, this is not a correct perception.
Now let's look at this structure.
Quote:
Having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about, Neuroscientists

Can we now argue that this structure is wrong because there is no clause before the modifier?
The point is the verb + ing modifier, which we assumed, as an adverbial modifier becomes an adjective modifier when placed in the beginning of the clause.
The issue in question---
1. Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years --- is actually --
--Having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years, Neuroscientists --
Therefore, per se, that part is legal.
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 446
Premium Member
Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 02:56
RenukaD wrote:
Neuroscientists,having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.

A)Neuroscientists,having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about how the human brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are

B)Neuroscientists,having amassed a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years,and are

C)Neuroscientists amassing a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood over the past twenty years,and are

D)Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood,

E) Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood ,

It will be helpful if experts can advise the solution and reason for the solution


For anyone attempting this question, please note in option A there is a typo. " How " should not be there in option A .
_________________

- Stne

Re: Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2017, 02:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 55 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past tw

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.