Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618816 [543]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [165]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [9]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [7]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Importance of the First 10 Questions - GMAT Prep What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
OmerPelman wrote:
The likely conclusion is that this is a flaw in the GMATprep software. Because if not, then they've granted us about twenty minutes of extra thinking time, just by guessing our way through every DS question after question #10. Since timing is at least one of the, if not the, most important hurdles on a standardized test, this means Pearson have allowed a terrifically gaping wide black hole of a hack to their algorithm. And given the standard warning in the Guide, I must say they would have to be terrific fools to do so.

OmerPelman wrote:
An astounding hack, Sir! It means you can ignore all DS after Q10, which must represent a saving of approx twenty minutes. With that much extra time, you could nearly guarantee 100% correct in PS.

This is a hell of a hack in the prep software. I am at the edge of my seat to know if this works on the official test!

There is no sense in which this is a 'hack'. Anyone capable of getting their first 10 questions right, and every subsequent PS question right (even granted roughly 50% more time to do so) is almost certainly a Q51 level test taker. That person would simply be capping their score at a Q49 or Q50 by guessing at their later DS questions.

Many people seem to believe that, given extra time, test takers could get all of their questions right. This is demonstrably false. Test takers who believe this should simply look back over their diagnostic tests, either timing themselves per question, or using a test that records time per question, and examine their performance on those questions on which they spent the most time. I've looked over hundreds of practice test results, and people tend to have a hit rate in the 30%-40% range on those questions where they spend 4+ minutes. In math, if you're going to see how to solve a problem, you're almost always going to see how to solve it quickly. If you don't see that path to a solution early on, you might never see it, which is why when people spend 5 minutes on a question, their answer ends up being essentially a guess anyway, most of the time.

That's not only true from my own experience, looking at test taker performance. It's also proven to be true in a large scale study:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf ... .tb01905.x

That study gave thousands of test takers two GRE Quant tests, and gave test takers 50% more time on the second test. At the time, GRE Quant scores ranged from 200 to 800. I think most people would expect that, given 50% more time, their score would increase significantly - I'd bet most test takers would guess their GMAT score would go up by 50 to 100 points if they had 50% more time. But that's not what happens. In that study, with lots of extra time, GRE Quant scores increased from an average of 664 to 671, so not even by ten points. And the effect is greatest for low-level test takers, and smallest for high-level ones, so the test taker trying to use the 'hack' you describe is gaining almost nothing from the extra time they'd have, while at the same time sacrificing good answers to a lot of questions.

The above is one reason why the oft-repeated "spend a lot of time on the first ten questions" is such terrible advice. The extra time you spend helps you far less than you might think early in the test, and running short on time will hurt you far more than you might expect (if you believe the person giving this advice) on later questions.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [6]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Importance of the First 10 Questions - GMAT Prep What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

5. Not Answering Last 10 Questions (ran out of time) vs. 10 Wrong Answers

Experiment: We will try to analyze the importance of answering questions in time.
Methodology: we will attempt answering the first 21 questions correctly and then wait till the time run out leaving the last 10 questions unanswered.
Result: Score - Q39. Percentile - 37th vs. Q49. Percentile - 75th. First 21 questions CORRECT. Next 10 NOT ATTEMPTED.
Analysis: I got lower score than in scenario 2 (First 21 questions CORRECT. The final 10 questions WRONG: Score - Q49. Percentile - 75th). This might indicate that answering all questions, finishing a test is very important. So, it's better finish the test and answer all the final questions, even incorrectly than not finish the test and leave final questions unanswered.

There's a GMAC research report describing precisely how the test behaves in these two scenarios (when it is better to guess to finish the test, and when it is better to leave questions unanswered). In a couple of places (older editions of the OG and an interview with the test developer), they've described the penalty for not finishing the test as a 'proportional' penalty. Based on the one numerical example the OG provided, I always assumed that if you answered, say, 35 out of 37 questions, and left the last two unanswered, they used your score estimate after 35 questions, and multiplied it by 35/37. That's hard to test though, because there's no way to know what your score is after, say, 25 questions, so no way to work out how big the penalty is on any given test. If you answer as you did -- getting the first 21 questions right -- your score is not a Q51 inside the algorithm. Internally, the scoring scale goes beyond Q51 (internally, they track how many standard deviations above average you are, so the scale is theoretically unbounded). Scores above a Q51 are capped at Q51 because that's the top of the scale. So there's no easy way to tell if your score was simply multiplied by 21/31 in your experiment, or if they've softened the penalty a bit for not finishing, or if the proportional penalty is applied to something other than the Q6-Q51 score.

The GMAC research report about guessing vs not finishing concluded that for higher level test takers, it is almost always going to be best to finish the test, even if that means guessing randomly. In part that's because high scores suffer most from proportional penalties. But it's also because higher level test takers who guess at the end of a test are normally guessing at very hard questions, because the test is adaptive. And guessing at hard questions doesn't hurt you much. For a test taker who is below average, a proportional penalty hurts much less, but a guess hurts more, because that guess is much more likely to be on an easy question, and getting easy questions wrong is very harmful to your score. The reason GMAC can't give an exact answer about this question is because the test is not perfectly adaptive, and everyone's test is different - if the Q41 test taker guesses at two questions at the end, and those questions both happen to be easy, those guesses might hurt more than not finishing. That's unlikely though -- usually those questions will be medium-hard -- so guessing will be better most of the time.

From GMAC's own research, the best practice is likely to be this, speaking probabilistically: if you are a higher level test taker (Q40+ say) you should finish the test no matter what you need to do, even if that requires you to guess randomly. If you're somewhere near average (Q27-Q40, say) it probably won't make a big difference, but I'd still suggest trying to finish (though don't panic if you can't - it probably hasn't hurt you much). If you are a below average test taker (Q6-Q27) it almost certainly makes a negligible difference what you do, and in fact it might be better to not finish, if your only choices are 'guess randomly' or 'don't finish the test'. Of course the best thing to do is to finish every question, answering as well as you can, so this only applies to people who find themselves in a test situation where they won't be able to do that.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [6]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:
Analysis: It is pretty clear that RC matters a whole lot more now than it used to.

It depends what you mean by this - if, say, there are more RC questions (proportionally) than before, then this could be true. And because the test is shorter now, in some sense every question matters more than it used to (at least because every question is more likely to count, because the number of experimental questions has been reduced).

But if instead the inference is that each RC question carries a certain weighting, and each SC question carries a certain weighting, and those weightings are different (i.e. if someone were claiming that a random RC question is worth more "points" than a random SC question) then that is not true, and never has been. It will hurt you just as much to get a 500-level RC question wrong as it will to get a 500-level SC question wrong (assuming the other question parameters are identical).

There is a reason, however, that random guessing at RC questions can be more harmful than guessing at SC questions. RC does not adapt by question. If you're doing well, the test might try to give you a hard RC passage. But that just means the questions are hard on average - if you have four questions, they might be 300, 500, 700 and 700 level. If you're guessing at those, you're usually getting a 300-level question wrong. That's a really bad thing to do on an adaptive test. SC will adapt by question, though, so if you're doing well, and guess at an SC question, you'll usually be getting a hard question wrong, and that's not so harmful to your score. So a high level test taker, if forced to guess at one question, is taking less of a risk guessing at one SC question than at one RC, because the RC question will sometimes be easy. But a low level test taker will be taking less of a risk guessing at one RC question than at one SC, because in that case, the RC question is more likely to be a hard question than the SC.

So you'd expect to get lower scores guessing at RC questions and answering everything else perfectly, because you're guessing at more easy questions, not because RC is weighted more heavily than other question types. You should have found that to be true on the old GMAT too, though there will be enough variation from one test to the next in the difficulty of various questions (and in the difficulty level of the ones you guess correctly) that you might need to run several trials to notice a pattern.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [5]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AnirbanGmat wrote:
I gave Prep 6 with only 3 questions wrong in Quants, wrong question nos are 21, 28 and 31. But I got a Q49 with 75 percentile.
I have also got Q49 in Preps 1,2 & 5 but the no:of wrong questions were around 9,10 & 8.

So, why did my score not improve in Prep 6?

One of my concerns about the experiments in this thread is that they give the profoundly misleading impression that the scoring algorithm cares for some reason which question numbers you get right and which you get wrong - I'm afraid this thread can give the impression that the algorithm gives a certain weight to say question #10, and a different weight to question #15. That's simply not true - the algorithm doesn't care about question number at all. It cares about question difficulty. And the difficulty of each specific question varies a lot from test to test.

When a test is full of very hard questions, you can still get a very strong score with many wrong answers, because even a Q49 level test taker is not expected to get Q50-Q51 questions right too often. But when a test is full of easy questions, you need to be almost perfect to get a strong score, because a Q49 level test taker is expected to get a Q29 level question right almost every time. The free official practice tests have a lot of hard questions in the database, so they're often very forgiving of wrong answers. But when you buy the additional tests, you can exhaust the supply of hard questions, and then you can end up taking tests consisting mostly of easy/medium questions. That's what happened in your case: you had a test with lower level questions, and needed to be nearly perfect to get a good score. Notice that doesn't actually affect your score at all -- you got a Q49 just as before -- but it does affect the number of wrong answers you can have and still get a Q49.

On the real test, the question bank will be deep enough that it should feel like your early GMATPrep tests - you'll likely see a lot of hard questions, and you'll be able to get a Q49 or Q50 with several wrong answers.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5581 [6]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
We can test outcome when one performs exceptionally in some sections but fails abysmally in other section.
The cases such as :
1. SC, CR > 80+, RC<30
2. RC, CR > 80+, SC<30
3. SC, RC> 80+, CR<30

It will be useful for the test takers to know GMAT better.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [6]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Great stuff, Bunuel! Cheers to all your valuable contributions to the Quant forums.

anmit123 wrote:
Hi,please share the distribution of question types in verbal.Like in quant,I see there are 17-18 PS and 13-14 DS,similarly would love to know number of ques from RC,SC AND CR
Thanks

Posted from my mobile device

I ran a question-type count on the new (online) Verbal section of Exam 1, and here is what I found: 15 SC, 13 RC, 8 CR.

Make of that what you will! Also note that this balance/frequency of question Verbal types on the new GMATPrep tests does NOT appear to reflect their true proportions on the actual GMAT, based on the debriefs we've read so far, which suggest that RC is now the most common question type:

My best guess for the actual number of counted questions on the GMAT is this: 15 PS, 13 DS, 12 RC, 10 SC, 8 CR.

Keep in mind that I only ran one simulation. It is entirely possible that every GMATPrep test now has a slightly different balance of question types, much like the real GMAT itself, due to the random distribution of experimental questions by type.

These analyses also demonstrate that although the GMAT Official Practice Exams are the obviously most realistic in terms of raw material, the scoring on the real GMAT is clearly different. For example, 2 of your demonstrations earned scores of Q50 despite answering 10 questions wrong, which would never happen on the real GMAT: according to 5 years of ESR evidence, for example, we have never seen more than 6 (counted) questions wrong correlate to a Q50. Similarly, you can answer up to 9 questions wrong (in a row!) on GMATPrep and yet still earn a V42. This scenario would never occur on the real GMAT, either: a V42 score correlates to only 2-5 counted questions incorrect.

For more info: https://gmatclub.com/forum/psa-the-scor ... 67046.html

For this reason, to be safe, I would subtract 20-30 points from the average of your GMAT Official Practice Tests in order to estimate your likely score on the real GMAT.

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 25 Jul 2018, 16:54.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 23 Aug 2021, 20:19, edited 5 times in total.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [4]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Many of the conclusions drawn in this thread are potentially misleading. I'll try to point out where, but it will take me a few posts. Importantly:

OmerPelman wrote:
You probably know that their algorithm is top-secret

This is not really true - the algorithm uses a 3-parameter logistic (IRT) model, something GMAC has confirmed many times in their published reports. Now, anyone designing a 3-parameter IRT test is free to set certain technical parameters how they like, and no one besides the GMAT test developers will know how those have been set, but those parameters mostly have to do with question selection, and not with scoring, and they aren't very important. The other information that is secret, and which prevents anyone from 'reverse engineering' their score from their right and wrong answers on a given test, are the statistics associated with each test question -- the exact difficulty level of each question, for example (and the other two of the three parameters the algorithm uses - what are known as the 'discrimination' and 'pseudo-guessing' parameters for each question). But the scoring algorithm itself is just based on probability theory, and its mathematical basis is explained in countless academic articles, and even on wikipedia.

Knowing the mathematics behind the scoring algorithm will not, however, give a test taker any advantage whatsoever on the GMAT. For that reason (and because you'd need an undergraduate foundation in statistics, probability theory and calculus to even begin to make sense of it) I do not recommend any test taker learn about the algorithm. It seems many people believe, possibly because it is poorly explained in many prep books, that there should be some way to "outsmart" the algorithm, that there might be some strategy like "spend a lot of time on the first ten questions" that will maximize your score. There is no such strategy. It's exactly like a standard multiple choice test: I can tell you the 'algorithm' I will use to grade a standard test ("I will count how many right answers you have"). Knowing that 'algorithm' doesn't help you to do any better on the test. You'd still want to answer the questions correctly that you know how to answer, and not waste time on the ones you don't. The GMAT scoring algorithm is more complicated than 'count your right answers', but the best strategy is the same: answer what you can, and don't invest time when it won't lead to a right answer.

That said, if you do know how the algorithm works mathematically, you can draw certain important conclusions about the consequences of certain response patterns, and so you can draw the most probable interpretations from the studies presented in this thread. So when I have time over the next few days, I'll try to point out where I think people have arrived at incorrect conclusions from these studies.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [4]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Cimet2018 wrote:
I also heard that if you answer the last X questions under Y minutes, the software detects that you are guessing and penalizes you for not managing your time. Is that true?

The GMAT takes absolutely no notice of how long you spend on a question. If it did, I and many other Quant experts would be penalized for answering some questions in five seconds (which is possible for certain question types if you either know the best way to think about them, or you've seen similar problems before). If anyone is telling you otherwise, ignore anything they're saying about the test and find more reliable sources of information, and if you do want to finish the test without leaving questions unanswered, don't leave yourself extra time to do that because you're worried the test might think you're guessing if you answer too quickly. Use all the time you can to solve problems and get right answers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [4]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos