Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Is this the proper forum to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of different ranking systems?

Hjort
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sure, you may discuss about it here.

Hjort wrote:
Is this the proper forum to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of different ranking systems?

Hjort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
Suggestions [#permalink]
First, let me commend Praet's initiative here..it was long time coming.

There are a few suggestions I would like to make here:

1) Profile of Top-30 Schools: A realistic profile that is different from Business Week's and US News'...what I mean to say is there shud be not too much emphasis on numbers.

2) One student from each college should provide his/her inputs about the school...why he/she chose the school..what are the advantages and disadvantages of attending that school. ( I dont know how realsitic it can be to get a student from each college. I guess we can leave out the top 5 colleges cos their info is floating everywhere)

3) GC members who are apping this year can be active on the respective school threads and share their essay experiences/queries, interview experiences and any other problem they run into.

I'm just throwing the ideas in air...I know its not easy to implement all the
suggestions but just wanted to put it out there.

Also, I would like to take this oppurtunity to thank Hjort for his innumerable & profound contributions to this site. I am an active BW forum member and know quite a few people who dole out advices on the BW forum..and comparitively I must say that Hjort's advices are always grounded in reality and well backed up by data.Your inputs are most appreicated and would love to see you continue the good work.

Hjort, you always categorise schools in Ultra-Elite, Elite, Near Elite etc categories..do you mind creating a list of schools falling under these categories and publish it.

Sincerely,
Vivek.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: Suggestions [#permalink]
Quote:
First, let me commend Praet's initiative here..it was long time coming.

Thanks. :)

Quote:
There are a few suggestions I would like to make here:
1) Profile of Top-30 Schools: A realistic profile that is different from Business Week's and US News'...what I mean to say is there shud be not too much emphasis on numbers.

Do you have some metrics on which you would like the schools to be reviewed? Hjort is doing great as far as profiles of schools are concerned. Its a great start off point where you have a nice summary of the school.
I think asking specific questions about a school would be a nice way to know more.

Quote:
2) One student from each college should provide his/her inputs about the school...why he/she chose the school..what are the advantages and disadvantages of attending that school. ( I dont know how realsitic it can be to get a student from each college. I guess we can leave out the top 5 colleges cos their info is floating everywhere)

Sure , that would be nice. I have asked some guys, but i think it wont happen until december, when guys are done with their finals.

Quote:
3) GC members who are apping this year can be active on the respective school threads and share their essay experiences/queries, interview experiences and any other problem they run into.

Quote:
I'm just throwing the ideas in air...I know its not easy to implement all the suggestions but just wanted to put it out there.

Sure. We can start off and see how it goes.

Quote:
Also, I would like to take this oppurtunity to thank Hjort for his innumerable & profound contributions to this site. I am an active BW forum member and know quite a few people who dole out advices on the BW forum..and comparitively I must say that Hjort's advices are always grounded in reality and well backed up by data.Your inputs are most appreicated and would love to see you continue the good work.

Yes, we feel blessed to have Hjort, Linda and MBA Game Plan offering advice on the forum.

Thanks
Praetorian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Praet,
Just listing some of the schools I think shud be profiled...
I have deliberately not included the high-flyers as info regarding their programs can easily be obtained.I feel we are better off concentrating on non-top 10 schools. If need be, we can include them later.

US Colleges:

1) Cornell.
2) NYU
3) UCLA
4) Yale
5) Carnegie Mellon
6) UNC Chappel Hill
7) UC Berkeley
8) Indiana
9) UTA-McCombs
10) Emory
11) Ohio State Univ
12) Purdue
13) Univ of Minnesota – Twin Cities
14) Georgetown
15) UMD-Smith
16) USC- Marshall
17) Babson

Non-US Colleges:
1) Queen’s
2) HEC-Paris
3) Manchester Business School
4) Oxford (Said)
5) Australia Graduate School of Management
6) NUS – National University of Singapore
7) ISB – Indian School of Business

Hope this helps.

-Vivek.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

Not to prolong this lovefest but I genuinely appreciate the kind words of vivek and Praetorian. I contribute ideas to this forum because the people I have interacted with here have been serious about attending business school and considerate of the views of others.

I hope that other students/candidates/potential applicants will contribute to this dialogue. The worst outcome would be for the B-school reviews to turn into Hjort's soliloquay of business schools.

I am a little alarmed by the thought of UCLA, NYU, Yale, and UCB not being counted among the top 10 programs in the US, but I guess it is my task to convince others that many observers perceive these to be in the top clusters. I plan to give a breakdown of the different business school clusters but I have not had the time to commit to this project lately.

Hjort
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort

As time goes by, i hope more people will join the discussion. I want to ask Linda too to see if she can pitch in with some ideas.

Till then, we all look forward to learning from you.

thanks again.
Praetorian

Hjort wrote:
Hi,

Not to prolong this lovefest but I genuinely appreciate the kind words of vivek and Praetorian. I contribute ideas to this forum because the people I have interacted with here have been serious about attending business school and considerate of the views of others.

I hope that other students/candidates/potential applicants will contribute to this dialogue. The worst outcome would be for the B-school reviews to turn into Hjort's soliloquay of business schools.

I am a little alarmed by the thought of UCLA, NYU, Yale, and UCB not being counted among the top 10 programs in the US, but I guess it is my task to convince others that many observers perceive these to be in the top clusters. I plan to give a breakdown of the different business school clusters but I have not had the time to commit to this project lately.

Hjort
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear GMAT Members:

Please feel free to add your thoughts regarding what sort of additional information you would like to see included for each school.

Best regards,

Hjort
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
Dear GMAT Members:

Please feel free to add your thoughts regarding what sort of additional information you would like to see included for each school.

Best regards,

Hjort

Hello HJort,

Can you please tell us which schools will be good for IT consulting (in all Catagories --Ultra Elite , Elite .......)

Thanks
scjp
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
[#permalink]
Hello Hjort,

Can you please give the following information too for each category ?

1.Average Salary.
2.% of placements
3.Major recruiting companies
4.Scholarships available( sites ,links if any)
5.Cost of living Expenses( per annum)
6.1 year MBA /2 Year MBA or both

Thanks ,
scjp
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Anonymous wrote:
Hello Hjort,

Can you please give the following information too for each category ?

1.Average Salary.
2.% of placements
3.Major recruiting companies
4.Scholarships available( sites ,links if any)
5.Cost of living Expenses( per annum)
6.1 year MBA /2 Year MBA or both

Thanks ,
scjp

I know this information is very valuable to all of us, but I think this information is readily available on most university websites. Please spare a few hours and I assure you would get the information much much faster. All it takes is a google search and a few phone calls or emails to the admissions office and the career centers etc.

Praetorian
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I must agree with Praetorian- while I would like to be able to help everyone with this information it is just not feasible for me to do so immediately.

However, there is considerable utility to be gained from bringing information for various schools together to facilitate comparison.

Best,

Hjort
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would like to find a way of organizing information on MS Finance, MS Accounting, and MBA "Substitutes" in some coherent fashion. Would it be better to consolidate them into one discussion or separate them by field such as finance, accounting, and other?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
I would like to find a way of organizing information on MS Finance, MS Accounting, and MBA "Substitutes" in some coherent fashion. Would it be better to consolidate them into one discussion or separate them by field such as finance, accounting, and other?

Hello Hjort

How about creating a seperate forum for MBA substitutes? would it be convenient for you?

thanks
Preatorian
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think that it would be a good idea to keep the MSF, MS Acc, and MS "Other" together but in a separate forum.

Hjort
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I already created a new category called " MBA substitutes" and three sub forums under that category. do let me know if its ok.

thank you hjort
Praetorian
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Praetorian,

Thanks for doing this - it looks good to me.

Hjort
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2