It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 136 [1], given: 0

New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2007, 20:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (00:59) correct 50% (01:24) wrong based on 409 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields without the costly requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high yielding varieties.

(A) requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high yielding varieties

(B) requirements by earlier high yielding varieties of application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation

(C) requirements for application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation of earlier high yielding varieties

(D) application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation that was required by earlier high yielding varieties

(E) irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer that were required by earlier high yielding varieties
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Kudos [?]: 136 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2007, 21:08
Why not E??

irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer is a plural subject

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

Re: New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2007, 21:46
shoonya wrote:
New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields without the costly requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high yielding varieties

A)

B) requirements by earlier high yielding varieties of application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation

C) requirements for application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation of earlier high yielding varieties.

D) application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation that was required by earlier high yielding varieties.

E) irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer that were required by earlier high yielding varieties.

A - costly requirements of irrigation is awkward and wordy
B - awkward and changes the meaning of the actual sentence
C - awkward and changes the meaning of the actual sentence
D - without the costly requirements of X and Y that "was" is incorrect. it should be "were"
E - without the costly requirements of X and Y that "were" is correct.

E should be the answer.

Any other explanations?

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2007, 04:35
A. use of 'requirements' is redundant.
D. we need 'were' to use both irrigation & c.fertilizers.
E. Answer.

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1008 [0], given: 1

New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2008, 11:49
New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields without the costly requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high-yielding varieties.

(A) requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high-yielding varieties

(B) requirements by earlier high-yielding varieties of application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation

(C) requirements for application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation of earlier high-yielding varieties

(D) application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation that was required by earlier high-yielding varieties

(E) irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer that were required by earlier high-yielding varieties

[Reveal] Spoiler:
can you please explain? I thought "that" refers immediately to the word before it. I chose D, but the OA is E. I thought that "that" in D refers to "irrigation", leading to the singular verb "was." However, how come the verb "were" in E is plural when the noun just before "that" is singular "commercial fertilizer"?
thanks

Kudos [?]: 1008 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2008, 07:40
irrigatuon AND commercial application of fertilizer are two different things and so "were" is the correct verb here.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2008, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
i think the best explanation for this question is to look at the meaning of the sentence. Requirements and application cannot be costly. Only the irrigation can, therefore right away you eliminate A, B, C and D, leaving you with E, which is the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 13 [2], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 109 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2008, 21:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Well the sentence is trying to say, the new variety of rice shows promise of producing high yields without X and Y when compared to old variety of rice, which required both X and Y.

If we break
X - requirements of irrigation
Y - application of commercial fertilizer

New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields without the costly requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high-yielding varieties.

(A) requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high-yielding varieties
without X and Y by earlier high-yielding varieties - ambiguous comparison .

(B) requirements by earlier high-yielding varieties of application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation
without X by....and Y -don't need to say further

(C) requirements for application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation of earlier high-yielding varieties
ugly -here we have split X itself.

(D) application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation that was required by earlier high-yielding varieties
without Y and X that was....Was is a problem here. We are talking about additive phrase , need plural were.

(E) irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer that were required by earlier high-yielding varieties
without X and Y that were required by earlier....clean comparison..agreement on pronoun

I started concentrating so hard on my vision that I lost sight.

Kudos [?]: 109 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

WE 1: insurance
WE 2: IT
Re: Difficult SC question or shall i say weird [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2010, 16:00
I work by elimination

a) 'by earlier high -yielding varieties is incorrect
b) requirement by - is incorrect
c) irrigation of earlier .. is incorrect should be irrigation required/ needed by etc
d) changes meaning and it incorrect.
appears as it only fertilizer is required while irrigation is required. Was should be were.
e) IS CORRECT.
costly looks like an adverb split over both irrigation and fertilizer as in original
required by earlier is the correct phrasing

zest4mba wrote:
New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields without the
costly requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer
by earlier high-yielding varieties

(A) requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer

(B) requirements by earlier high-yielding varieties of application of
commercial fertilizer and irrigation

(C) requirements of application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation of
earlier high-yielding varieties

(D) application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation that was required by

(E) irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer that were required by

What is the right answer and why

thanks !!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 22

Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2010, 18:33
zest4mba wrote:
New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields without the
costly requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer

(A) requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer

(B) requirements by earlier high-yielding varieties of application of
commercial fertilizer and irrigation

(C) requirements of application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation of

(D) application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation that was required by

(E) irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer that were required by

What is the right answer and why

thanks !!

I go by simple reading technique. Break the sentence into logical and meaningful clauses.

New hardy varieties of rice | show promise of producing high yields | without the
costly | ......requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer |

Doesn't that sound awkward? At least, GMAT doesn't test colloquial verbiage. So I pick E, which sounds better among the given answer options.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2010, 21:48
amgbeano wrote:
I disagree. I believe (D) is the right answer. The reason being that "costly application and irrigation" is singular and should have "was" as the verb following instead of "were"...IMHO.

I can't do the regular build-up thing anymore, pretty tired tonight, 11:45 PM EST already. So I'll quickly go by the rule.

The conjunction "and" will make the verb plural when nouns are connected.

My dog and I "were" running. Sheena and Tina "were" listening to music.

Costly irrigation and application of fertilizer that "were" goes by the same sounding principles!!!!

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 65

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 13:53
noboru wrote:
What's wrong with A?
thanks

You don't need requirements of on A.

It sounds as if requirements are costly.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 65

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 07:51
Why not C?

promise of producing high yields
application of commercial fertilizer
irrigation of earlier high yielding varieties

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 17

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 22:24
promise of producing - isn't this wrong

Even though it was not illegal for the bank to share its customers' personal and financial information with an outside marketing company in return for a commission on sales, the state's attorney general accused the bank of engaging in deceptive business practices by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep records private.

a) by failing to honor its promise to its customers to keep

b) by its failure of honoring its promise to its customers to keep

c) in its failing to honor its promise to its customers of keeping

d) because of its failure in honoring its promise to its customers in keeping

e) because of its failure to honor its promise to its customers of keeping

In this question, most of the option are wrong because of "promise of keeping"

@veritasprep : pl help

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 14

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 01:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A) requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high yielding varieties – this should be applicable to both "irrigation" and "application of commercial fertilizer". There is ambiguity on applicability to both the aspects
B) requirements by earlier high yielding varieties of application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation – illogical meaning
C) requirements for application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation of earlier high yielding varieties. – changes meaning. this should be applicable to both irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer
D) application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation that was required by earlier high yielding varieties. – "application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation", plural "were" should be used. "earlier high yielding varieties" now correctly applies to both the aspects.
E) irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer that were required by earlier high yielding varieties. – "earlier high yielding varieties" now correctly applies to both the aspects.

Thanks

Once you know the answer, it is easy to justify.

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 14

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 03:53
New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields without the costly requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high yielding varieties
A)
B) requirements by earlier high yielding varieties of application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation
C) requirements for application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation of earlier high yielding varieties.
D) application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation that was required by earlier high yielding varieties.
E) irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer that were required by earlier high yielding varieties.

I believe and I may be wrong:
- first the choice is b/w "costly requirements " or "costly application/irrigation" - I went with the latter because I felt requirements cannot be costly are the activities of application and irrigation.
- second and that's the easier one b/w D and E - D fails because of "was" as against the "were" in E
So E is correct

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7916 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 10:18
Top Contributor
This topic is deep. The first point is to note is that the requirements are not themselves costly but the factors that are required such as the application of fertilizers and irrigation are costly. That is the reason we can dispense with choice A, B, and C instantly
In D, a couple of factors are denoted by a singular verb 'was'.
Only E remains.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7916 [0], given: 364

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 198

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 11:44
New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields without the costly requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high yielding varieties.

(A) requirements of irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer by earlier high yielding varieties
this option says that application of CF was done by earlier high yielding rice varieties ... This is definitely not the meaning intended...

(B) requirements by earlier high yielding varieties of application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation
this option says "application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation" again not the intended meaning ...

(C) requirements for application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation of earlier high yielding varieties
Again similar to option B...application of commercial fertilize and irrigation !!!!"

(D) application of commercial fertilizer and irrigation that was required by earlier high yielding varieties
"Was" is grammatically incorrect ...we need a plural verb

(E) irrigation and application of commercial fertilizer that were required by earlier high yielding varieties
Was replaced by Were and Bingo ..no other errors...

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 198

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 164

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 02:54
shoonya wrote:

e correctly uses the subjunctive with plural

E

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 164

Re: New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields with   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2017, 02:54

New hardy varieties of rice show promise of producing high yields with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap