Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [27]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: In order to find out the effect of computer gaming on 'cognitive flexi [#permalink]
Choice A seems the best option. Doesn't make a difference if the participants knew the rules before hand or no. The experiment is about how they adapt DURING the game.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Re: In order to find out the effect of computer gaming on 'cognitive flexi [#permalink]
If the participants already know the rules of the game then wont there be a change in strategy of how they play? how does it matters to know about the ratio of male female?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
If the participants already know the rules of the game then wont there be a change in strategy of how they play? how does it matters to know about the ratio of male female?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [2]
WE:Design (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
E seems ok. We are talking about volunteers. It can be male or female. Knowing the ratio of male to female participants is irrelevant.

Cognition means ability to understand.if somebody know the rules then they need not exercise cognitive ability.So knowing whether they know the rules or not prior to the test is required. in that case A is relevant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
In order to find out the effect of computer gaming on 'cognitive flexibility' – ability to switch between tasks – researchers recruited two groups of volunteers. One group played a real-time strategy game, which requires frequent decision making and high level of organising skills, while the other a life-simulation game, which does not require much memory or many tactics. The two groups played their respective games for at least forty hours over six weeks.

Each of the following may be important to know before arriving at a conclusion regarding the influence of playing computer games on cognitive flexibility except:

A. Whether the volunteers already knew the rules of the games before the experiment?
B. How many participants in each group have been playing strategy games before the experiment?
C. How was the performance of the participants on cognitive flexibility tests before the experiment?
D. How was the food habits and sleeping habits of the participants during the experiment?
E. What was the ratio of male to female in each group?

IMO: E

Knowing/Not Knowing the rules of the games prior to experiment will definitely affect 'cognitive flexibility'. The group might actually spend more time to figure out the rule before the next step of action.
In E However ratio of male/female will not matter.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
Kudos
Difficulty of the question is that it does not have specific conclusion.
So, we should choose option which relates to good experiment practice.

In good experiment both groups should be equal in all participants' characteristics. BCDE are such characteristics

I also took E but A it is
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
I do not understand why A is the right answer.

RonPurewal, could you please provide your thoughts on this question.

Thanks
Ravi Mishra
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
In order to find out the effect of computer gaming on 'cognitive flexibility' – ability to switch between tasks – researchers recruited two groups of volunteers. One group played a real-time strategy game, which requires frequent decision making and high level of organising skills, while the other a life-simulation game, which does not require much memory or many tactics. The two groups played their respective games for at least forty hours over six weeks.

Each of the following may be important to know before arriving at a conclusion regarding the influence of playing computer games on cognitive flexibility except:

A. Whether the volunteers already knew the rules of the games before the experiment?
B. How many participants in each group have been playing strategy games before the experiment?
C. How was the performance of the participants on cognitive flexibility tests before the experiment?
D. How was the food habits and sleeping habits of the participants during the experiment?

GMATNinja

Can you please help in answering this question.
Why A is the right Answer although E seems to be irrelevant.

Regards,
Adi
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
GMATNinja can you please help me? why A is correct here and why not E?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
In order to find out the effect of computer gaming on 'cognitive flexi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
A student of mine brought my attention to this question, and I would like to outline my thoughts on it so that the community may benefit. Before we get to the passage, I like to take a look at the question. This one is a little involved:

souvik101990 wrote:

Although except is not written in all capital letters, I have seen students skip over even those, so take note: this is an EXCEPT question. We are tasked with assessing what it may be important to know before arriving at a conclusion, so we can deduce that a conclusion is not provided in the passage. But this is not just any conclusion. We need to focus specifically on one pertaining to the influence of playing computer games on cognitive flexibility. That is quite narrow in its scope. We can anticipate that we will be given enough information to qualify four of five answer choices on this link alone, that playing computer games has some influence on cognitive flexibility.

souvik101990 wrote:

Sentence 1 defines cognitive flexibility as the ability to switch between tasks. There were two groups, both composed of volunteers.
Sentence 2 tells us about the different types of game each group played, either a real-time strategy game or a life-simulation game, with each type of game defined.
Sentence 3 provides the duration of gameplay--at least forty hours over six weeks--but it also indicates that each group played just one type of game.

With this mental map laid out, what do the answer choices have in store for us?

souvik101990 wrote:

Analysis: This is weird. Why does the answer end in a question mark? It is a statement, so it should end in a period. Anyway, keep in mind, the question asks us to consider whether this information may be important to know to arrive at a conclusion about the influence of playing computer games on [the ability to switch between tasks]. If volunteers knew the rules of their respective games beforehand, would this knowledge change such an ability? I am not sure. To provide an example, I love playing the WWII strategy game Axis and Allies, a game that strikes the right balance, in my mind, between complexity and fun gameplay. There are many versions of this game, some of which I have played, some of which I have not. If I were presented with a version I had not played--say, Axis and Allies: Pacific--would my cognitive flexibility be compromised because I already knew the basic rules of the game? I would say no. I would still need to strategize and react to in-game situations. Thus, I would say that this consideration is one that might not need to enter the picture to arrive at the conclusion in question, and that fits an EXCEPT condition. This looks promising, but I am not ready to commit. Yellow light.

souvik101990 wrote:

Analysis: Because the passage goes into detail in sentence 2 about the different types of games and suggests that a real-time strategy game, since it requires frequent decision making and high level [sic] of organising skills, should prove more taxing on cognitive flexibility, it might be useful to know whether participants in either group had, in fact, been playing strategy games beforehand. If someone from the life-simulation-game group had been playing strategy games, perhaps that person would have developed cognitive skills more in line with the members of the other group. Such an aberration would be noteworthy if it were to appear, so this consideration does not fit our EXCEPT condition. Red light.

souvik101990 wrote:

Analysis: This seems an obvious choice for being a pertinent consideration. Similar to the biological passport notion in athletics, namely that establishing baseline biometric readings for specific athletes will provide useful data for subsequent cross-comparisons (to check for performance-enhancing substances), establishing baseline cognitive flexibility data for each of the participants prior to the experiment would seem a good idea. Otherwise, the researchers might not know how to interpret their findings. Cross this answer choice off and move on. Red light.

souvik101990 wrote:

Analysis: These third-party questions are killing me! How was? Even if we left off the conjunction and, the word habits alone would require a plural agreement in were. Anyway, would the dietary/nutritional habits and sleeping habits of the participants be of concern to the researchers? Sure, particularly over a span of six weeks. If such factors could influence the way participants approached their game-playing, then the experiment could hang in the balance. This is another easy answer choice to see off. Red light.

souvik101990 wrote:

Analysis: I think I know why RonPurewal and GMATNinja might not have touched this question, and this answer choice probably sealed the deal. There is no information in the passage about the number of people involved in the study, so a ratio of, say, 2:3 could mean 2 men to 3 women or 246 men to 369 women. Furthermore, there is no information in the passage about any inherent biological differences between the cognitive abilities of males and females. Although such information would likely appear sexist if it showed either males or females possessing some inherent cognitive edge regarding, again, the ability to switch between tasks, at least there would be some grounds in the passage to qualify this answer choice. As is, we have to ask ourselves, would it make a difference if the ratio in one group was 2:3 and the ratio in the other was also 2:3? What if one of them flipped to 3:2? Or what if the ratios were changed altogether, to 1:2 and 4:7? We really have to grasp at straws to make this consideration relevant, let alone important to know, to draw a meaningful conclusion, per the question. I am not convinced by anything above that suggests this information about ratios will somehow affect the outcome of the research. How so? I disagree, quite frankly. And I do not see how someone could put together a cogent argument from the information provided in the passage that this consideration should weigh into a conclusion that would be drawn. I cannot argue against this answer fitting the EXCEPT framework. Yellow light.

There you have it. I think a case could be made for either (A) or (E). In CR, you have to answer the question based on what is presented in the passage, and here, choice (E) falls outside the jurisdiction of what would seem reasonable to me. All I can say for sure is that this question would not appear as is on the GMAT™. There are too many problems. That does not mean you cannot learn something from it, but it does emphasize the point that you should probably center your studies on official material.

Best of luck with your prep.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts