It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 19:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New observations about the age of some globular clusters in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
WE: Research (Health Care)
Re: New observations about the age of some globular clusters in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 20:05
why the answer is not C for Question no 6?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 06:32
please explain the answers of rc new observations regarding clusters

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1885 [0], given: 453

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 08:42
ingeniouseerat wrote:
why the answer is not C for Question no 6?

Quote:
6. Which of the following most accurately states a finding of Bolte's research, as described in the passage?

(A) The globular clusters in the Milky Way galaxy are 2 billion years older than predicted by the conventional theory.
(B) The ages of at least some globular clusters in the Milky Way galaxy differ by at least 4 billion years.
(C) One of the globular clusters in the Milky Way galaxy is 5 billion years younger than most others.
(D) The globular clusters in the Milky Way galaxy are significantly older than the individual stars in the halo.
(E) Most globular clusters in the Milky Way galaxy are between 11 and 15 billion years old.

Choice (C) states a finding of Bolte's colleague, not of Bolt himself:

Quote:
A colleague of Bolte contends that the cluster called Palomar 12 is 5 billion years younger than most other globular clusters.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 124

Schools: ISB '18
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 05:27
In Question 7, I am confused between option A and E. Could you please explain why A is wrong and E is correct?

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 124

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 18:07
Quote:
7. The author of the passage puts the word "renegade" (line 29) in quotation marks most probably in order to

(A) emphasize the lack of support for the theories in question
(B) contrast the controversial quality of the theories in question with the respectable character of their formulators
(C) generate skepticism about the theories in question
(D) ridicule the scientists who once doubted the theories in question
(E) indicate that the theories in question are no longer as unconventional as they once seemed

srikanth9502 wrote:
In Question 7, I am confused between option A and E. Could you please explain why A is wrong and E is correct?

The word "renegade" implies that those theories were not conventional or commonly accepted. This does not necessarily imply that those theories lacked support.

For example, there might be strong support for a theory claiming that eating hot dogs every day is good for your health. But if most people reject that theory, it would still be considered "renegade".

The author puts the word "renegade" in quotes to emphasize that those theories are gaining acceptance. For example, imagine that new evidence suggested that eating broccoli and carrots, foods commonly viewed as healthy, was in fact bad for your health. You might then say:

I no longer want to eat "healthy" foods like broccoli and carrots.

The use of the quotation marks emphasizes that those foods were once accepted as healthy but that this view is changing. The same thing applies in this passage. The theories were once considered "renegade", but now they are becoming less and less "renegade".

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 855

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 03:16
I got Q5 wrong. I chose E as my answer. Somebody please help. The computer models suggest that the ideas of the scientist also apply to spiral galaxies not just within a galaxy. This clearly means that there is a wider applicability. I don't disagree with the OA but I was confused between the two and got this wrong. Is my approach wrong here? Does "wide applicability" need to be explicitly stated in the passage for E to be correct? what did I do wrong?

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 855

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 132

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 05:04
[box_out]
New observations about the age of some globular clusters in our Milky Way galaxy have cast doubt on a long-held theory about how the galaxy was formed. The Milky Way contains about 125 globular clusters (compact groups of anywhere from several tens of thousands to perhaps a million stars) distributed in a roughly spherical halo around the galactic nucleus. The stars in these clusters are believed to have been born during the formation of the galaxy, and so may be considered relics of the original galactic nebula, holding vital clues to the way the formation took place.

The conventional theory of the formation of the galaxy contends that roughly 12 to 13 billion years ago the Milky Way formed over a relatively short time (about 200 million years) when a spherical cloud of gas collapsed under the pressure of its own gravity into a disc surrounded by a halo. Such a rapid formation of the galaxy would mean that all stars in the halo should be very nearly the same age.

However, the astronomer Michael Bolte has found considerable variation in the ages of globular clusters. One of the clusters studied by Bolte is 2 billions years older than most other clusters in the galaxy, while another is 2 billion years younger. A colleague of Bolte contends that the cluster called Palomar 12 is 5 billion years younger than most other globular clusters.

To explain the age differences among the globular clusters, astronomers are taking a second look at “renegade” theories. One such newly fashionable theory, first put forward by Richard Larson in the early 1970’s, argues that the halo of the Milky Way formed over a period of a billion or more years as hundreds of small gas clouds drifted about, collided, lost orbital energy, and finally collapsed into a centrally condensed elliptical system. Larson’s conception of a “lumpy and turbulent” protogalaxy is complemented by computer modeling done in the 1970’s by mathematician Alan Toomre, which suggests that closely interacting spiral galaxies could lose enough orbital energy to merge into a single galaxy.
[box_in]1. The passage is primarily concerned with discussing

(A) the importance of determining the age of globular clusters in assessing when the Milky Way galaxy was formed -Incorrect. The passage is discussing various theories
(B) recent changes in the procedures used by astronomers to study the formation of the Milky Way galaxy -Incorrect
(C) current disputes among astronomers regarding the size and form of the Milky Way galaxy -No disputes have been discussed
(D) the effect of new discoveries regarding globular clusters on theories about the formation of the Milky Way galaxy -Correct. Various theories have been discussed and their effects on others have been pointed out.
(E) the origin, nature, and significance of groups of stars known as globular clusters -Incorrect

2. According to the passage, one way in which Larson's theory and the conventional theory of the formation of the Milky Way galaxy differ is in their assessment of the

(A) amount of time it took to form the galaxy -Correct. Conventional theory states that the galaxy was formed in short time while the other one states that the galaxy was formed in billions of years
(B) size of the galaxy immediately after its formation -irrelevent
(C) the particular gases involved in the formation the galaxy -irrelevant
(D) importance of the age of globular clusters in determining how the galaxy was formed -Out of scope
(E) shape of the halo that formed around the galaxy -Irrelevant

3. Which of the following, if true, would be most useful in supporting the conclusions drawn from recent observations about globular clusters?

(A) There is firm evidence that the absolute age of the Milky Way galaxy is between 10 and 17 billion years. -This is an exaggerated choice
(B) A survey reveals that a galaxy close to the Milky Way galaxy contains globular clusters of ages close to the age of Palomar 12. -Other galaxy? Incorrect
(C) A mathematical model proves that small gas clouds move in regular patterns. -Model doesn't talk about regular patterns
(D) Space probes indicate that the stars in the Milky Way galaxy are composed of several different types of gas. -types of gases? incorrect
(E) A study of over 1,500 individual stars in the halo of the Milky Way galaxy indicates wide discrepancies in their ages. -Correct.

4. If Bolte and his colleague are both correct, it can be inferred that the globular cluster Palomar 12 is approximately

(A) 5 billion years younger than any other cluster in the galaxy -any? exaggerated
(B) the same age as most other clusters in the galaxy -same age? out of scope
(C) 7 billion years younger than another cluster in the galaxy -Correct. (5+2)
(D) 12 billion years younger than most other clusters in the galaxy -12? Incorrect
(E) 2 billion years younger than most other clusters in the galaxy -Not 2 but 5

5. The passage suggests that Toomre's work complements Larson's theory because it

(A) specifies more precisely the time frame proposed by Larson -time?
(B) subtly alters Larson's theory to make it more plausible -alters?
(C) supplements Larson's hypothesis with direct astronomical observations -astronomical observations?
(D) provides theoretical support for the ideas suggested by Larson -Correct.
(E) expands Larson's theory to make it more widely applicable -expand?

6. Which of the following most accurately states a finding of Bolte's research, as described in the passage?

(A) The globular clusters in the Milky Way galaxy are 2 billion years older than predicted by the conventional theory. -incorrect
(B) The ages of at least some globular clusters in the Milky Way galaxy differ by at least 4 billion years. -correct. (2+2)
(C) One of the globular clusters in the Milky Way galaxy is 5 billion years younger than most others. -Incorrect. This was Bolte's college's observation
(D) The globular clusters in the Milky Way galaxy are significantly older than the individual stars in the halo. -out of scope
(E) Most globular clusters in the Milky Way galaxy are between 11 and 15 billion years old. -exaggerated

7. The author of the passage puts the word "renegade" (line 29) in quotation marks most probably in order to
--I didn't know the meaning of "renegade" but solved it using the context of the passage.
(A) emphasize the lack of support for the theories in question -A mathematical model supports a theory. Incorrect
(B) contrast the controversial quality of the theories in question with the respectable character of their formulators -Character of the inventors is not discussed. Incorrect
(C) generate skepticism about the theories in question -The passage is not generating any skepticism regarding the theories.
(D) ridicule the scientists who once doubted the theories in question -The last para is definitely not ridiculing anyone
(E) indicate that the theories in question are no longer as unconventional as they once seemed -Correct. Only remaining choice, that also makes sense as per the passage

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 132

Re: New observations about the age of some globular clusters in   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2017, 05:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

New observations about the age of some globular clusters in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap