Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Strengthenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6421 [150]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [40]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1711 [17]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [2]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Coffee shop owner: A large number of customers will pay at least the [#permalink]
Kudos
Everytime i read an official question, my respect for the test makers go up several folds.
The issue at hand is: no charge for coffee. Customers can drink coffee and pay as much as they wish. Owner asserts people will be fair and pay at least the amount rightly deserved. But manager says people may end up taking undue advantage.
Now, what if coffee is free but the coffee shop makes substantial profit from the delicatessens? It is also said #of customers will go up so the profit from pastries will also go up and so revenue will go up.
Queens MBA Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [5]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Send PM
Re: Coffee shop owner: A large number of customers will pay at least the [#permalink]
Kudos
Coffee shop owner: A large number of customers will pay at least the fair market value for a cup of coffee, even
if there is no formal charge. Some will pay more than this out oi appreciation of the trust that is placed in them.
And our total number of customers is likely to increase. We could therefore improve our net cash flow by
implementing an honor system in which customers pay what they wish for coffee by depositing money in a can.
Manager: We're likely to lose money on this plan. Many customers would cheat the system, paying a very small
sum or nothing at all.

Argument Analysis :
Owner : No price tag, let customer pay what they want. Large number of Customer will pay fair price. Total customer base will increase, improving net cash flow.
Manager : Customer will cheat, leading to losses.

What can best support Owner's argument, if manager is true.
Pre thinking :
1. If Customer base increases hugely and Proportion of cheater is negligible.
2. If Customer buy something else along with coffee, and the price of add on stuff compensate the free tag of coffee.

POE.

(A) The new system. it implemented, would increase the number oi customers.
ISWAT - (Most attractive) - Agreed that it will increase customer, but what if high proportion of customers don't pay. So store will end in losses - Incorrect.

(B) By roasting its own coflee, the shop has managed ho reduce the difficulties and cost of maintaining an
inventory of freshly roasted coffee.
Out of Scope - This knowledge of roasting expense and it's impact on Revenue has not been shared with us. also, it no where connects to the plan shared in argument. So out of scope - Incorrect

(C) Many customers stay in the cafe for long stretches of time.
out of scope - Correlation between period of stay and Income from stay of customer is not discussed in argument. Hence out of scope - Incorrect.

(D) The shop makes a substantial profit from pastries and other food bought by the coffee drinkers.
Correct - If customer buys Sides along with coffee and those side dishes makes nice profit, then it will compensate price tag free coffee. Also due to shop's plan, Customer intake will increase, and hence sales of sides will increase, Increasing profit.

(E) No other coffee shop in the area has such a system.
out of scope - Other shop may not have it, but this does not prove that shop will make profit.

option D is correct
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Coffee shop owner: A large number of customers will pay at least the fair market value for a cup of coffee, even
if there is no formal charge. Some will pay more than this out of appreciation of the trust that is placed in them.
And our total number of customers is likely to increase. We could therefore improve our net cash flow by
implementing an honor system in which customers pay what they wish for coffee by depositing money in a can.
Manager: We're likely to lose money on this plan. Many customers would cheat the system, paying a very small
sum or nothing at all.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the owner's plan, in light of the manager's concern?
The manager's concern is that they will lose money because the customers will cheat. The correct choice addresses this issue. Look for an answer choice that shows that the customers will continue to pay somehow and the cafe won't lose money.

(A) The new system. if implemented, would increase the number of customers.
An increase in customers could mean an increase in customers who don't pay.
(B) By roasting its own coffee, the shop has managed to reduce the difficulties and cost of maintaining an
The difficulties and cost of maintaining freshly roasted coffee are not relevant.
The time that customers stay in the cafe is not relevant. They can stay but not spend.
(D) The shop makes a substantial profit from pastries and other food bought by the coffee drinkers.
This shows that even if the customers cheat on the coffee cost the cafe receives profit from pastries and other food.
Whether or not it's a unique system is not relevant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I'm not so sure about this question. I chose B, as it directly affects the cost of the coffee- lower costs=more profit, assuming revenue stays the same (if customers pay the same or more, as the manager describes, profits will increase).

Answer (D): The shop makes a substantial pro???t from pastries and other food bought by the coffee drinkers. How does this affect the conclusion of being more profitable? People may already be buying sides...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
Coffee shop owner: A large number of customers will pay at least the fair market value for a cup of coffee, even if there is no formal charge. Some will pay more than this out of appreciation of the trust that is placed in them. And our total number of customers is likely to increase. We could therefore improve our net cash flow by implementing an honor system in which customers pay what they wish for coffee by depositing money in a can.

Manager: We're likely to lose money on this plan. Many customers would cheat the system, paying a very small sum or nothing at all.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the owner’s plan, in light of the manager’s concern?

(A) The new system if implemented, would increase the number of customers.

(B) By roasting its own coffee, the shop has managed to reduce the difficulties and cost of maintaining an

Choice (D) is the best answer because it directly addresses the manager's concern.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja, mikemcgarry
I chose A because i did not read option D properly. I stopped at pastries thinking pastries are not relevant to the discussion.

My concern is that is option A incorrect because its a repetition of the premise or because it doesn't directly address the manager's concern.
(The premise says the customers are LIKELY to increase whereas the answer option says they WOULD increase)

Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [4]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
KGump wrote:
GMATNinja, mikemcgarry
I chose A because i did not read option D properly. I stopped at pastries thinking pastries are not relevant to the discussion.

My concern is that is option A incorrect because its a repetition of the premise or because it doesn't directly address the manager's concern.
(The premise says the customers are LIKELY to increase whereas the answer option says they WOULD increase)

Thanks

The owner says that the "total number of customers is likely to increase." Choice (A) then strengthens the owner's position by saying that the number of customers WILL increase. However, this does not address the manager's concern. Even if choice (A) is true, the manager would say, "Who cares if we increase the total number of customers? If many of them pay a small sum or nothing at all, we will probably lose money."

As described below, only choice (D) addresses the manager's concern.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

I too fell for (B) trap at first glance.
In a practical market situation, will reducing inventory cost help in improving productivity
ie no of coffee served if not contribute to increase in net cash flow ie profit?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:

In a practical market situation, will reducing inventory cost help in improving productivity
ie no of coffee served if not contribute to increase in net cash flow ie profit?

All else equal, if a store reduces its costs, then that would obviously improve its profits.

But this is something that the coffee shop has already done ("the shop has managed to reduce the difficulties and cost..."). In other words, this change has already been implemented and has nothing to do with the owner's plan.

Choice (B) describes a way that the shop has saved money, but if the shop implements an honor system and customers start paying little or nothing (i.e. decreased revenues), then the shop could lose money.

We need something that supports the owner's plan IN LIGHT OF the manager's concern. As described in this post, only choice (D) addresses the manager's concern.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:

All else equal, if a store reduces its costs, then that would obviously improve its profits.

But this is something that the coffee shop has already done ("the shop has managed to reduce the difficulties and cost..."). In other words, this change has already been implemented and has nothing to do with the owner's plan.

Choice (B) describes a way that the shop has saved money, but if the shop implements an honor system and customers start paying little or nothing (i.e. decreased revenues), then the shop could lose money.

We need something that supports the owner's plan IN LIGHT OF the manager's concern. As described in this post, only choice (D) addresses the manager's concern.

GMATNinja
net cash flow:
does it mean profit or revenue?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
JAIN09 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:

GMATNinja
net cash flow:
does it mean profit or revenue?

Net cash flow is more like profit than revenue (though "net cash flow" and "profits" are two different things). But don't overthink the financial definitions here...

Let's say the coffee shop currently averages $1,000/day in coffee sales. Keep all other variables equal and imagine that they implement an honor system. If people cheat the system and only pay $800 for the same amount of coffee, then net cash flow will decrease. If, instead, people pay more than $1,000 "out of appreciation of the trust that is placed in them," then net cash flow will be improved.

In other words, for this example, an increase in revenue presumably increases both profits and net cash flow.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I am confused about this question. Even if D can help improve the profit, it has nothing to do with implementing the honor system. The owner said the customer base is like to increase, but didn't say it will increase because of the honor system. So increasing customer base is a fact and has nothing to do with the honor system. How could D make sense here?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [1]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
yliu wrote:
I am confused about this question. Even if D can help improve the profit, it has nothing to do with implementing the honor system. The owner said the customer base is like to increase, but didn't say it will increase because of the honor system. So increasing customer base is a fact and has nothing to do with the honor system. How could D make sense here?

yliu, try reviewing this post. The idea is that implementing the honor system will increase the number of customers. Whether this results in an increase or decrease in coffee profits is largely irrelevant. Why? Because if we increase the number of customers (by implementing the honor system), the shop will increase its profits from sales of pastries and other food.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
Coffee shop owner: A large number of customers will pay at least the fair market value for a cup of coffee, even if there is no formal charge. Some will pay more than this out of appreciation of the trust that is placed in them. And our total number of customers is likely to increase. We could therefore improve our net cash flow by implementing an honor system in which customers pay what they wish for coffee by depositing money in a can.

Manager: We're likely to lose money on this plan. Many customers would cheat the system, paying a very small sum or nothing at all.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the owner’s plan, in light of the manager’s concern?

(A) The new system if implemented, would increase the number of customers.

okay wrote:
I'm not so sure about this question. I chose B, as it directly affects the cost of the coffee- lower costs=more profit, assuming revenue stays the same (if customers pay the same or more, as the manager describes, profits will increase).

Answer (D): The shop makes a substantial pro???t from pastries and other food bought by the coffee drinkers. How does this affect the conclusion of being more profitable? People may already be buying sides...

According to the coffee shop owner, implementing an honor system would increase the total number of customers, and the manager does not dispute this claim. However, the manager believes that "many customers would cheat the system, paying a very small sum or nothing at all." In other words, the manager says, "Who cares if we increase the total number of customers? If many of them pay a small sum or nothing at all, we will probably lose money."

Choice (D) addresses the manager's concern by saying, "Yes, we might lose some money on coffee, but by increasing the total number of customers, we will increase the amount of food/pastries that we sell. Since we make a substantial profit selling food/pastries, those profits will make up for the relatively small amount of money we might lose on coffee."

Choice (B) tells us that the shop has been able to save some money by roasting its own coffee, but it does not address the managers concern. Even if they have a cheaper way to make coffee, if many people are paying little or nothing for the coffee, the shop would still likely lose money on coffee.

Choice (D) is the best answer because it directly addresses the manager's concern.

I hope that helps!

"implementing an honor system would increase the total number of customers"

How can we infer that?
Correct me where I'm thinking wrong but the question says " And our total number
of customers is likely to increase" in isolation, which means they are going to increase anyway irrespective of any honor system plan.

I read the passage in this way. Where am I thinking wrong because I don't say a casual relationship.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [4]

Send PM
Kudos