Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [34]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [1]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: There are pressing reasons to call for a microeconomics of greater emp [#permalink]
Kudos
In this context 'thereby' which means (as a result that or by that means) makes more sense rather than the word 'therefore'. Microeconomics of A(greater veracity) +B ( more scrupulousness) will result in C and D.
Therefore, leaves this thought incomplete.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [1]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: There are pressing reasons to call for a microeconomics of greater emp [#permalink]
I understand why B could be correct (because of parallelism "of") but "thereby" changes the meaning. This sentence should depict contrast but "thereby" shows conclusion. What is the source of this question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
HI,

Can some one please clarify the OA B)

B) There are pressing reasons to call for a microeconomics of greater empirical veracity and more methodological scrupulousness, thereby of a greater descriptive and analytical power.

Is it because the underlined part describes "microeconomics" ?

Hence both its ("microeconomics") modifiers should be parallel

There are ......... to call for a microeconomics of A, thereby of a B. ???

No other option has "of ...." hence B)
Not clear about this, could someone please further clarify this?

Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [2]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:
HI,

B) There are pressing reasons to call for a microeconomics of greater empirical veracity and more methodological scrupulousness, thereby of a greater descriptive and analytical power.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
yes underlined part modifies "microeconomics" because "greater descriptive and analytical power" can only refer to "microeconomics". Yes we should have "microeconomics of = microeconomics of". In this sentence "thereby" means "so that" and hence only B is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [3]
Given Kudos: 392
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:
HI,

Thanks in advance.

I went for C but then after re-reading B, B looks better than C.

Here is my 2 cents about the question anyway.
If you look at the question:
There are pressing reasons to call for a microeconomics of greater empirical veracity and more methodological scrupulousness, thereby of a greater descriptive and analytical power.
this way

There are pressing reasons to call for ABC of P and R, there by of X and Y.

The point is ABC (Macroeconomics) is of P&R (of greater empirical veracity and more methodological scrupulousness) and because there are P & R, thereby X and Y (of a greater descriptive and analytical power) too.
This "kind -off" causation effect is missing in A and C.

Did I make sense? I hope so!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM