GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 20 May 2018, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New Set of Mixed Questions!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
52 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
New Set of Mixed Questions!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2013, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The next set of medium/hard PS questions. I'll post OA's with detailed explanations on Friday. Please, post your solutions along with the answers.

1. The distance from the Y-axis to point K is 1/3 of the distance from the X-axis to point K. If the coordinates of K are (-3, y), what is the distance between point K and X-axis?

A. 1/2
B. 1
C. 3
D. 4.5
E. 9.

Solution: https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-set-of-m ... l#p1208436

2. What is the area of a region enclosed by |x/3|+|y/9|=10?

A. 675
B. 1350
C. 2700
D. 5400
E. 10800

Solution: https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-set-of-m ... l#p1208441

3. Three workers, A, B, and C, can complete a certain task in 10, 5 and x hours respectively. A starts working alone and 2 hours later B joins. After another 2 hours joins C. After that A, B, and C together complete the task in 15 minutes. What is the value of x?

A. 1
B. 1.25
C. 2
D. 2.5
E. 4

Solution: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-set-of-mi ... l#p1208445

4. A draining pipe can empty a pool in 4 hours. On a rainy day, when the pool is full, the draining pipe is opened and the pool is emptied in 6 hours. If rain inflow into the pool is 3 liters per hour, what is the capacity of the pool?

A. 9 liters
B. 18 liters
C. 27 liters
D. 36 liters
E. 45 iters

Solution: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-set-of-mi ... l#p1208449

5. For a certain set of numbers, if x is in the set, then both -x^2 and -x^3 are also in the set. If the number 1/2 is in the set , which of the following must also be in the set ?

I. -1/64
II. 1/64
III. 1/2^(1/3)

A. I only,
B. II only,
C. III only,
D. I and II only
E. I, II and III

Solution: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-set-of-mi ... l#p1208454

6. A team contributes total of $399 from its members. If each member contributed at least $10, and no one contributed $19, what is the greatest number of members the club could have?

A. 37
B. 38
C. 39
D. 40
E. 41

Solution: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-set-of-mi ... l#p1208457

7. Mary spent 64 percent of her salary on food (including meat) and 16% of her salary on meat. What percent of the salary spent on food were not spent on meat?

A. 16%
B. 25%
C. 32%
D. 48%
E. 75%

Solution: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-set-of-mi ... l#p1208459

8. Usually Holly leaves home to school at 9:00, however today she left home 20 minutes later. In order to be at school on time she increased her usual speed by 20% and still was at school 15 minutes later than usual. What is her usual time from home to school?

A. 15 minutes
B. 20 minutes
C. 25 minutes
D. 30 minutes
E. 210 minutes

Solution: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-set-of-mi ... l#p1208462

9. If x and y are integers and x + y = -12, which of the following must be true?

A. Both x and y are negative
B. xy > 0
C. If y < 0, then x > 0
D. If y > 0, then x < 0
E. x - y > 0

Solution: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-set-of-mi ... l#p1208466

10. If n is a non-negative integer and the remainder when 3^n is divided by 4 is a multiple of 3, then which of the following must be true?

I. n^2 divided by 4 yields the reminder of 1
II. (-2)^n is less than 0
III. n is a prime number

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. II and III only

Solution: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-set-of-mi ... l#p1208471

BONUS QUESTION:
11. Certain bowl contains 5 red marbles and 3 blue marbles only. One by one, every marble is drawn at random and without replacement. What is the probability that the seventh marble drawn is NOT blue?

A. 7/8
B. 3/4
C. 2/3
D. 5/8
E. 3/8

Solution: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-set-of-mi ... l#p1208473

Kudos points for each correct solution!!!

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: New Set of Mixed Questions!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2014, 05:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bunuel wrote:
11. Certain bowl contains 5 red marbles and 3 blue marbles only. One by one, every marble is drawn at random and without replacement. What is the probability that the seventh marble drawn is NOT blue?
A. 7/8
B. 3/4
C. 2/3
D. 5/8
E. 3/8

Nice question Bunuel!!!! +1 for it. :)

Here is my take.

We have 5 red marbles and 3 red marbles. We just want that in the 7th pick blue marble should not appear. That indirectly means Red marble should appear.
We can visualize it as arrangement of 8 marbles (of which 5 are red and 3 are blue) in such a way that 7th marble will be red.
We can fix 1 red marble at 7th place and can arrange remaining marbles (Total 7 = 4 Red + 3 Blue) as \(\frac{7!}{4!3!}\) = This is our desired outcome

\(Probability = \frac{Desired Outcomes}{Total Outcomes}\)

Desired Outcomes = \(\frac{7!}{4!3!}\) = 5

Total outcomes = Arrangement of all 8 marbles ( 8 = 5 Red + 3 Blue) at 8 places = \(\frac{8!}{5!3!}\) = 8

Probability = \(\frac{5}{8}\) = D

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 02:29
Bunuel wrote:
9. If x and y are integers and x + y = -12, which of the following must be true?
B. xy > 0
C. If y < 0, then x > 0
D. If y > 0, then x < 0
E. x - y > 0

Look at option D: if y is positive, then x must be negative in order the sum of x and y to be negative.

Answer: D.

I think C & D are right. If x is +ve i.e. 12 and y is -ve i.e. -24 then sum of x and y will be negative. Please explain
-Neha
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 02:33
nehamodak wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
B. xy > 0
C. If y < 0, then x > 0
D. If y > 0, then x < 0
E. x - y > 0

Look at option D: if y is positive, then x must be negative in order the sum of x and y to be negative.

I think C & D are right. If x is +ve i.e. 12 and y is -ve i.e. -24 then sum of x and y will be negative. Please explain
-Neha

C is not always true: if y is negative it's not necessary x to be positive. Consider y=-1 and x=-11.

But D must be true: if y is positive, then x must be negative in order the sum of x and y to be negative.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Foster '16
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 21:30
Bunuel wrote:
A. 7/8
B. 3/4
C. 2/3
D. 5/8
E. 3/8

Basically we need to find the probability that the seventh marble drawn is red (so not blue).

Now, the initial probability of drawing red marble is 5/8. Without knowing the other results, the probability of drawing red marble will not change for ANY successive draw: second, third, fourth, ..., seventh. Thus the probability that the seventh marble is red is 5/8.

The same for blue marble: the probability of drawing blue marble is 3/8, the probability that for instance the 8th marble drawn is blue is still 3/8. There is simply no reason to believe WHY is any draw different from another (provided we don't know the other results).

The question is asking for the probability of 7th marble without replacement.
So the probability will change with every draw
first -5/8
second 4/7

What I am missing here ?

Thanks in advance.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2014, 05:15
vvd wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
A. 7/8
B. 3/4
C. 2/3
D. 5/8
E. 3/8

Basically we need to find the probability that the seventh marble drawn is red (so not blue).

Now, the initial probability of drawing red marble is 5/8. Without knowing the other results, the probability of drawing red marble will not change for ANY successive draw: second, third, fourth, ..., seventh. Thus the probability that the seventh marble is red is 5/8.

The same for blue marble: the probability of drawing blue marble is 3/8, the probability that for instance the 8th marble drawn is blue is still 3/8. There is simply no reason to believe WHY is any draw different from another (provided we don't know the other results).

The question is asking for the probability of 7th marble without replacement.
So the probability will change with every draw
first -5/8
second 4/7

What I am missing here ?

Thanks in advance.

I've tried to explain this several times in this thread. For example, here: new-set-of-mixed-questions-150204-120.html#p1311823, and here: new-set-of-mixed-questions-150204-120.html#p1312115

If you still have doubts please check similar questions:
a-box-contains-3-yellow-balls-and-5-black-balls-one-by-one-90272.html
a-bag-contains-3-white-balls-3-black-balls-2-red-balls-100023.html
each-of-four-different-locks-has-a-matching-key-the-keys-101553.html
if-40-people-get-the-chance-to-pick-a-card-from-a-canister-97015.html
a-medical-researcher-must-choose-one-of-14-patients-to-127396.html

Hope this helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2014, 08:01
Bunuel wrote:

I. n^2 divided by 4 yields the reminder of 1 --> odd^2 divided by 4 always yields the reminder of 1. So, this statement must be true.

Can someone explain that rule please?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2014, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
oss198 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. n^2 divided by 4 yields the reminder of 1 --> odd^2 divided by 4 always yields the reminder of 1. So, this statement must be true.

Can someone explain that rule please?

Not much there to explain...

Odd^2 divided by 4 always yields the reminder of 1:
1^2 = 1 divided by 4 yields the reminder of 1;
3^2 = 9 divided by 4 yields the reminder of 1;
5^2 = 25 divided by 4 yields the reminder of 1;
7^2 = 49 divided by 4 yields the reminder of 1;

Or: odd^2 = (2x + 1)^2 = 4x^2 + 4x + 1 --> divided by 4 yields the reminder of 1

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 05:20
srikirs007 wrote:
BONUS QUESTION:

A. 7/8
B. 3/4
C. 2/3
D. 5/8
E. 3/8

SOLUTION:
A marble can be drawn from the bowl in 8 ways. A red marble can drawn in 5 ways. So the probability that a marble is NOT blue is 5/8

My Doubt is :

The fact that marbles are drawn without replacement does not change anything? I have my doubts on this one .. can anyone please explain!

If you like my post Kudos Please

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 05:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
aashu4uiit wrote:
srikirs007 wrote:
BONUS QUESTION:

A. 7/8
B. 3/4
C. 2/3
D. 5/8
E. 3/8

SOLUTION:
A marble can be drawn from the bowl in 8 ways. A red marble can drawn in 5 ways. So the probability that a marble is NOT blue is 5/8

My Doubt is :

The fact that marbles are drawn without replacement does not change anything? I have my doubts on this one .. can anyone please explain!

I tried to explain this several times on this thread. For example, here: new-set-of-mixed-questions-150204-120.html#p1311823, and here: new-set-of-mixed-questions-150204-120.html#p1312115

If you still have doubts please check similar questions:
a-box-contains-3-yellow-balls-and-5-black-balls-one-by-one-90272.html
each-of-four-different-locks-has-a-matching-key-the-keys-101553.html
if-40-people-get-the-chance-to-pick-a-card-from-a-canister-97015.html
a-medical-researcher-must-choose-one-of-14-patients-to-127396.html

Hope this helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2015, 06:51
Bunuel wrote:
B. xy > 0
C. If y < 0, then x > 0
D. If y > 0, then x < 0
E. x - y > 0

Hi,

By this logic, then shouldn't even Answer C be ok? Can you please explain why D satisfies the "must" rule and C does not?

Thank you,

TO
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2015, 07:33
thorinoakenshield wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
B. xy > 0
C. If y < 0, then x > 0
D. If y > 0, then x < 0
E. x - y > 0

Hi,

By this logic, then shouldn't even Answer C be ok? Can you please explain why D satisfies the "must" rule and C does not?

Thank you,

TO

Given x + y = -12: the sum of two numbers is negative.

(C) says if y is negative, then x is positive. Well, that's not necessarily true: if y is negative, x can be positive, negative, or 0. For example:
y = -20, x = 8.
y = -10, x = -2.
y = -12, x = 0.

(D) says if y is positive, then x is negative. Now, if y is positive, then for the sum of x and y to be negative (-12), x must be negative. If it's not, the sum of x and y would be positive, not negative -12.

Does this make sense?

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Current Student
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2016, 09:51
"Certain bowl contains 5 red marbles and 3 blue marbles only. One by one, every marble is drawn at random and without replacement. What is the probability that the seventh marble drawn is NOT blue?

A. 7/8
B. 3/4
C. 2/3
D. 5/8
E. 3/8"

Bunuel. Can you help me in this? I tried the below way. What is wrong in that?

As per the question, the Seventh marble is Red.

That means any of the below combo is possible

RRRRBBRB - Here - (5/8)*(4/7)*(3/6)*(2/5)*(3/4)*(2/3)*(1/2)*1 ---- What is wrong in this approach. Kindly help?

Aiming for a 3 digit number with 7 as hundredths Digit

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 20:16
Bunuel wrote:
B. xy > 0
C. If y < 0, then x > 0
D. If y > 0, then x < 0
E. x - y > 0

Dear Bunuel, What if C. If \(y < 0\), then \(x > 0\), \(x = 12\), \(y = -24\), \(x + y = 12 - 24 = -12\)?

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 06:14
ziyuenlau wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
B. xy > 0
C. If y < 0, then x > 0
D. If y > 0, then x < 0
E. x - y > 0

Dear Bunuel, What if C. If \(y < 0\), then \(x > 0\), \(x = 12\), \(y = -24\), \(x + y = 12 - 24 = -12\)?

C is not always true. y < 0 does not necessarily mean that x > 0. For example, consider y = -1 and x = -11.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 18:56
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: New Set of Mixed Questions!!!   [#permalink] 13 May 2018, 18:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   [ 135 posts ] 

New Set of Mixed Questions!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap