It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 04:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2012, 10:03
Original sentence has three mistakes.
1) Tense (simple)
2) Singular verb (makes)
3) misplaced modifier

Statement C corrects all this:

1) & 2) Tense and correct verb form. -Present perfect works best here as some thing that doesn't exist in past now exists. Also correct form "have made" is used.
3) modifier is at right place (to study in greater detail than ever before)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2012, 01:46
New techniques is a plural subject and demands a plural verb. So, A and E are out.
The problem with D is the ambiguous "IT" at the end because it seems to be referring to something but the meaning is not complete.
Among B and C: Why does in greater detail need to be within commas? Redundancy. Also it seems like in greater detail is not necessary to complete the meaning of the sentence. In other words like a which or a that its a limiting phrase.
Finally if you look at B without the limiting phrase: make it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river than ever before. Does this even make sense? The phrase "than ever before" has to be preceded by the action it modifies which is "in greater detail". So, B is clearly WRONG.

Choose C and move on.

(A) makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before
(B) make it possible to study, in greater detail, the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river than ever before
(C) have made it possible to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river
(D) make possible the study of the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than it ever was before
(E) has made it more possible than ever before to study in greater detail the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 1

Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2013, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
C is the answer - clear meaning and comparison usage of 'greater...than'

A & E - wrong - because of subject verb
B - wrong because greater ... than are not connected
D-wrong - bad structure - 'make possible ????'

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 27

GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 09:45
Quite a straightforward one I'd say. Firstly, techniques being the subject requires that the verb be plural. Given this situation, you can eliminate options A and E. Among those that remain:

(D) make possible the study of the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than it ever was before
Unnecessarily wordy and awkward.

(B) make it possible to study, in greater detail, the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river than ever before
Awkward construction with the numerous commas.

(C) have made it possible to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river
Best option. It conveys the point crisply.

petrifiedbutstanding

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 27

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 67

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2013, 08:40
Changed my answer from B to C after reading the discussion. Thanks a ton y'all !

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-degree-be-way-forward

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 67

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2014, 00:51

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 2405

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2014, 20:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 23:41
make vs have made is the issue here...Rest are easy to eliminate

Every time I am rejected by Harvard, my friends make it possible for me to endure the rejection
My friends have made it possible for me to endure the rejections at Harvard

Here too the meaning implied is the same as that implied by B...

A is something that the friends do every time to help me
B it is the friends that help me

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 139

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 21:54

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: In this SC problem, I am having a hard time understanding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 22:02

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 22:33
Clearly the main problem is to decide between the shortlisted options of B and C.
In B, while it is grammatically correct, it does not fully convey the meaning. The sentence shows that these are the techniques X and techniques X make Y possible...
However, in C it correctly provides context of saying that it is techniques X which have made it possible to do Y. It makes giving credit to technologies X for being able to do Y much more clear and also implies that it is impossible to do Y in the absence of X

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Log on to http://www.mbachallengers.com for
Easy strategic GMAT prep
For any queries mail us at mba.challengers@outlook.com
Follow MBA Challengers on Facebook

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Math Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 1085 [0], given: 325

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
In this SC problem, I am having a hard time understanding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2016, 08:33
tonebeeze wrote:
In this SC problem, I am having a hard time understanding the rule regarding selecting "have made it" in answer choice (C) over "makes it" in answer choice (B). Doesn't the subject "techniques" require "makes"?

Thanks for any advice you all can provide me.

New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process that records radiation from surface areas, makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before.

a. makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before

b. make it possible to study, in greater detail, the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river than ever before

c. have made it possible to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river

d. make possible the study of the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than it ever was before

e. has made it more possible than ever before to study in greater detail the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river

New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process that records radiation from surface areas , have made it possible to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river

With (C) for the errors highlighted above...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1085 [0], given: 325

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 06:48
Well ,I am still not convinced by the OA, and confused between B and C.
Yes, I agree that have does appear nice.
BUT as per my knowledge in GMAT it is preferred to use Simple tense as much as possible unless the sentence is not grammatically wrong AND perfect tenses are generally not used.
Can anybody please correct me..??

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7868 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)
In this SC problem, I am having a hard time understanding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 04:46
Top Contributor
suramya26

Quote:
BUT as per my knowledge in GMAT it is preferred to use Simple tense as much as possible unless the sentence is not grammatically wrong AND perfect tenses are generally not used.

I am afraid you are wrong to a very great extent. If you go with such notions into the exam, you will end up only getting the short end of the stick.
There are three simple tenses in grammar. i.e. a simple past, a simple present, and a simple future. It is not clear which one you are referring to.
The right perspective is that one should use the correct tense as the context demands. I do not think there is any preference, said either explicitly or implicitly by GMAT in the choice of the tense.
It must also be noted that most of the higher level questions involve the use of past and present perfect tenses or the use of the third conditionals in GMAT

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Last edited by daagh on 26 Sep 2016, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 23:38
daagh wrote:
suramya26

Quote:

I am afraid you are wrong to very great extent. If you go with such notions into the exam, you will end up only getting the short end of the stick.
There are three simple tenses in grammar. i.e. a simple past, a simple present, and a simple future. It is not clear which one you are referring to.
The right perspective is that one should use the correct tense as the context demands. I do not think there is any preference, said either explicitly or implicitly by GMAT in the choice of the tense.
It must also be noted that most of the higher level questions involve the use of past and present perfect tenses or the use of the third conditionals in GMAT

Thanks a lot sir,
Sir , the tell me whether my reasoning is wrong??
The reason for which C is the correct answer is because the option stresses on the effect of new technologies
And this the effect is still IN THE PRESENT

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 03:52
Top Contributor
Suramya

Hi

Don’t you feel that there is no difference between B and C as far as new techniques are concerned? C is better because of the superior word order; in B, the placement of ‘than ever before’ after the river is changing the meaning.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 06:01
daagh wrote:
Suramya

Hi

Don’t you feel that there is no difference between B and C as far as new techniques are concerned? C is better because of the superior word order; in B, the placement of ‘than ever before’ after the river is changing the meaning.

Okay..Sir
You mean to say since there is a different sense in B i.e ‘than ever before’ stresses on river rather than the effects.
So for a better and less ambiguous explanation we have chosen C

Am I right???

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 07:52
tonebeeze wrote:
In this SC problem, I am having a hard time understanding the rule regarding selecting "have made it" in answer choice (C) over "makes it" in answer choice (B). Doesn't the subject "techniques" require "makes"?

Thanks for any advice you all can provide me.

New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process that records radiation from surface areas, makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before.

let's use the e-gmat 3 step process...

1. understand the meaning
new techniques allow to study smth in more details than it was possible before
what to study? the effects of C or W of a river.

2. error analysis
first error that jumps in the eyes is the SV agreement error. The noun is plural "techniques", while the verb is singular "makes".
A and E make the same mistake.
Since the techniques were not always present, I think it is more appropriate to use the present perfect - an action that happened in the past, but whose effects are still felt in present.

a. makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before
as discussed above

b. make it possible to study, in greater detail, the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river than ever before
while make does not make 100% incorrect this answer choice, the placement of "than ever before" definitely makes it incorrect.

c. have made it possible to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river
looks good!

d. make possible the study of the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than it ever was before
it does not make possible the study. it made possible to study in more details. this option changes the meaning of the sentence.

e. has made it more possible than ever before to study in greater detail the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river

C looks to be the winner.

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2016, 22:25
New techniques are plural - hence either make or have

B gives an impression (by placing "in greater detail" in a non-restrictive clause) that study is now possible and it was not possible before.

C

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 378

Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 22:58
First picked up B but then I went with C...other than the past participle form greater and than should be placed nearer to each other....

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 378

Re: New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2016, 22:58

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 69 posts ] 

New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap