Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [1]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Newton’s surprising success at developing the laws of motion, as well [#permalink]
Kudos
1. The passage suggests that if scientific determinism were true

A. scientists would, in theory, be able to predict the future - True, that is in fact the ultimate outcome if scientific determinism were true
B. all the particles in the universe would have a measurable position and velocity - Close choice. But, look again, is the passage really suggesting that ? Is not it clearly mentioned in the passage that the scientific determination will actually hold when we are able to measure the position and the velocity of all the particles.
C. the theory of quantum mechanics would be false - Nowhere in the passage the author suggests that the quantum mechanics would be false. Too strong a choice
D. Schrodinger’s equation could be used to calculate any particle’s position - irrelevant
E. the quantum mechanics revolution would not have occurred - Again, too strong a choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Re: Newton’s surprising success at developing the laws of motion, as well [#permalink]
Can someone please help me with question no. 3?

I think the answer should be D. The idea of determinism has been introduced. Then it has been analysed and has been rejected on the basis of quantum theory.
Please help me with how it can be C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
akanksha.setiya wrote:
Can someone please help me with question no. 3?

I think the answer should be D. The idea of determinism has been introduced. Then it has been analysed and has been rejected on the basis of quantum theory.
Please help me with how it can be C.

D states its mathematical basis is questioned. The passage doesn't question how the calculations are done . It merely says we cant measure the properties of all the variables involved. Also Scientific determinism isn't rejected , it is applied in reduced form i.e., probable positions and velocities are determined.

Hope i made sense :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Experts

Why isn't the answer to Q1 C??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
prateek176 wrote:
Experts

Why isn't the answer to Q1 C??

Hi prateek176:

Quote:
1. The passage suggests that if scientific determinism were true
A. scientists would, in theory, be able to predict the future
B. all the particles in the universe would have a measurable position and velocity
C. the theory of quantum mechanics would be false
D. Schrodinger’s equation could be used to calculate any particle’s position
E. the quantum mechanics revolution would not have occurred

We need to connect the pieces of information about scientific determinism and quantum mechanics.

Quote:
Laplace argued that if one knew the position and velocity of all the particles in the universe at a given time, the laws of physics would be able to predict the future state of the universe.

This is the main statement about scientific determinism. It says that we can predict the future state of the universe, if we know both the position and the velocity of all particles.

Quote:
Quantum mechanics introduced the world to the idea of the uncertainty principle, which stated that it was impossible to accurately measure both the position and the velocity of a particle at one time

This is the main statement about quantum mechanis. This states that we can't determine position and velocity of a particle at the same time.

If we combine both statements we can infer that if scientific determinism were true it would disprove quantum mechanics.

Does that make sense to you? :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
2. According to the passage, wave functions

A. allow scientists to determine the position and velocity of a particle - False. Wave functions only provide the probabilities.
B. are determined by the Schrodinger equation - False, Instead, wave functions serve as pre-requisite to the Schrodinger equation.
C. provide a range of possible locations and velocities for a particle- True
D. allow a scientist to calculate the future state of the universe - False. Wave functions help scientists predict the future state of the waves.
E. threw the proposition of scientific determinism into doubt - False, it is the quantum mechanics theory that casts doubt on the idea of scientific determinism
Intern
Intern
Send PM
3. Which of the following best describes the organization of the passage?

A. A paradox is introduced, competing explanations are offered, and a final resolution is reached. - False.No Paradox is introduced.
B. Two opposing theories are introduced, critiqued, and reconciled. - False.Are both the theories critiqued ?
C. An idea is introduced, its validity is questioned, and its application qualified. - True. An idea is introduced in the first para. In the second para, Quantum mechanics is introduced that casts doubt on the idea of scientific determinism.
D. A theory is introduced, its mathematical basis is examined, and it is rejected. Partially true.A theory is introduced, but is it rejected totally ? No, just that quantum mechanics accept that idea but in the reduced form
E. An argument is made, an objection to it is detailed, and the argument is revised. - False. Argument is not revised.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
4. Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the author’s conclusion in the passage’s final sentence?

A. Some physicists believe quantum mechanics will eventually be discarded in favor of a new theory. - False
B. Physicists still use Newton’s laws of motion to calculate the velocities and positions of planets and stars. - Irrelevant
C. Even if the position and velocity of a particle were known, predicting the future would be impossible because there are too many other variables to calculate. - False
D. There is little to no chance that the modern theory of quantum mechanics will be overturned by another theory. Correct.
E. No scientists are pursuing studies in the field of determinism. Irrelevant
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2054 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
generis, can you please take a look at Q3 and share your thoughts. I am picking this up from my bump to your "tone of author" post from a few days ago. This Q3 requires a correct summarization and I was not able to zero in on C there. What does "äpplication qualified" mean in this context? I went ahead with E ( without probable cause and had to pay the price for it ) :-(

gmatexam439 workout dave13 AdityaHongunti - your take on Q3?

Thank you. :)

Have a nice evening! :)

Regards,
Gladi

Quote:

A. A paradox is introduced, competing explanations are offered, and a final resolution is reached.
B. Two opposing theories are introduced, critiqued, and reconciled.
C. An idea is introduced, its validity is questioned, and its application qualified.
D. A theory is introduced, its mathematical basis is examined, and it is rejected.
E. An argument is made, an objection to it is detailed, and the argument is revised.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Gladiator59, thanks for tagging me. glad to help :) you can check my explanation below, i wonder mysef if my reasoning is correct ... :lol:
have a fantastic evening :)

Newton’s surprising success at developing the laws of motion, as well as the development and refinement of other physical laws, led to
the idea of scientific determinism. The first expression of this principle was in the beginning of the nineteenth century by Laplace, a French scientist. Laplace argued that if one knew the position and velocity of all the particles in the universe at a given time, the laws of physics would be able to predict the future state of the universe. ( FIRST PARA INTRODUCES IDEA)

Scientific determinism held sway over a great many scientists until the early twentieth century, <------ I UNDERSTAND THIS, THAT AN APPLICATION OF AN IDEA WAS QUALIFIED. BECAUSE THIS IDEA HAD AN INFLUENCE ON SCIENTISTS. AND IF IT HAD INFLUENCE THEN IT MEANS THAT THEY ACCEPTED IT UNTIL SOME TIME.

THE TEXT BELOW PUTS VALIDITY OF SCIENTIFIC DETERMINATION INTO QUESTION BY INTRODUCICG QANTUM MECHANICS.

when the quantum mechanics revolution occurred. Quantum mechanics introduced the world to the idea of the uncertainty principle, which stated that it was impossible to accurately measure both the position and the velocity of a particle at one time. Because Laplace’s omniscience could never occur, even in theory, the principle of scientific determinism was thrown into doubt. However, quantum mechanics does allow for a reduced form of scientific determinism.

A. A paradox is introduced, competing explanations are offered, and a final resolution is reached.
B. Two opposing theories are introduced, critiqued, and reconciled.
C. An idea is introduced, its validity is questioned, and its application qualified.
D. A theory is introduced, its mathematical basis is examined, and it is rejected.
E. An argument is made, an objection to it is detailed, and the argument is revised.
PM Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Asad: any clue regarding the source? Passage style seems very close to that of a gmat passage
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Re: Newtons surprising success at developing the laws of motion, as well [#permalink]
Suluzhan wrote:
Guys, please explain why the answer for question 4 is D?

Posted from my mobile device

From the passage, we can understand that the Quantum Mechanics is the basis for questioning Scientific determinism. So, if theory of Quantum Mechanics is infallible, then the stated limitation of modern physics will hold.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Newtons surprising success at developing the laws of motion, as well [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts