Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Other
GPA: 3.26
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Re: Nice Suit Ideas for Good Price [#permalink]
maybe some brooks brothers suits? you can probably pick up a few at outlets on good deals if you wait it out. I'll be picking up a few from there myself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
This may belie my plebian nature, but I love my Jos. A Banks suits.

Also, I keep seeing ads in FB for combat gent suits. I haven't been able to pull the trigger on it, because they seem too good to be true, but i've read nothing but great reviews on them and the price is only $160.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GRE 1: Q168 V158
GPA: 2.47
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Check out the online suit retailers as well. They make decent suits and as long as they fit your body and are tailored correctly should be good suits. Companies like Combatant Gentleman, Indichino, Suitly, or Black Lapel.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Century 21 in NYC? I mean if you are from there or can get there (and aren't too skinny :) )
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Instead of focusing on the price or the brand. I would focus on the fit of a suit. A nicely tailored suit will look miles better than any Hugo Boss or Zegna suit off the shelf. Tailors quality is highly individualized. I would research for one in your city. A good tailor will measure you, build the shell first for a 2nd fitting, make the suit, and make minor adjustments.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Indochino is DEFINITELY the best way to go. Custom made suits will run you just $450-$800 shipped, and they look great.

Here is a coupon for $50 off a purchase of $300 or more: https://share.indochino.com/x/TkLmZW
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
J. Crew Factory is a nice option for the price, make sure to get it tailored after.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
I second SuitSupply, but I would also suggest Bonobos. Plus Bonobos was founded by Stanford MBAs!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Buy a custom suit. I had my suit, tie, and shirt custom tailored from a local shop right after my undergrad. It wasn't cheap, but the fabric used was better than anything off the shelf, and the fit was amazing. The confidence-boosting effect, the instant respect from anyone I encountered, and the longevity of the clothes has paid for my initial expense several times over. I cannot imagine why anyone seriously considering a high-powered business career for six-figure jobs, where first impressions matter so much, would not make this relatively small investment in their future. Feel free to PM me for suggestions in the NYC area.

Also, I'm surprised to see at least a few suggestions on here for suits that aren't even 100% wool. Come on guys....... :|
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I know a blog site which provides good information on men's dressing styles, its Mensusa Blog. They do provide tips and guidelines for suiting up styles on various ocassions. And they have their own shopping site too with huge collection and range of clothing line.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Suit Supply is great
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: HBS '16 (M)
Send PM
This is kind of random, but there was an awesome sale at the outlet of Saks -- Off 5th Ave -- that I went to last week. Not sure if you have one near you, but this one had all top brands and was definitely in your price range. Check it out. Also Brooks Brothers is great. If you are near NYC, you could also give Top Man a shot. It is a London based retail store that is more affordable but has some great stuff, though it is occasionally more fashionable than conservative.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
A little late but thought I'd share my thoughts for future forum browsers.

I am entering B-School from private wealth and will second the post that tailoring is key. I'd have at least one good brand name suit (brooks brothers or better) or equivalent quality custom made in your closet. Buy the best suits you can, they will pay dividends; I've gotten lucky with 1-2 suits at Macy's that fit pretty well, but your strongest bet for a bargain is to find the 'best' bargain basement for mens clothing in your hood. Most outlets etc just manufacture a different line of lower quality ware but there is usually one well known bargain basement that gets true end of season and overstock wear and you may be able to score a nice $1200 suit for $500-600.

Shy away from the Jos A Banks suits; I've seen senior people snickering when someone mentions they scored a 3 for 1 or something like that. It's stupid, and PWM is not nearly as 'showy' as I hear I-Banking is, but there is an appreciation of quality. It can be painful but this is a time when putting 2-3 good suits on your credit card can definitely have an effect on your career. PWM is client facing, and you're working with C-Suite executives, wealthy heirs and the like; looking the part will help you advance that much sooner. I worked with one senior director who didn't have his MBA and failed his CFA level one 3 times before giving up, but he dressed very sharp and had great presence in front of clients so he was still able to climb the ladder. I also worked with one analyst who had 8 years experience and his CFA but couldn't get promoted out of his analyst role, largely because of how he dressed (often no tie, suits were low quality when worn and often not steamed, etc). Clients will also notice the difference. As a younger money manager competing against the greybeards, dressing to impress will help establish an image of success and help you win business.
GMAT Club Bot