It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 00:28

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, because

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1470 [1], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, because [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2008, 20:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (00:31) correct 13% (00:29) wrong based on 492 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, because he was excited with the prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls for producing electric power, he predicted in the mid-1890's that electricity generated at Niagara would one day power the streetcars of London and the streetlights of Paris.

(A) Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, because he was excited with the prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls for producing electric power, he
(B) The prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls to produce electric power was exciting to Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, and so he
(C) Excited about the prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls to produce electric power, Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current,
(D) Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, excited about the prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls for the production of electric power and
(E) The inventor of alternating current, excited with the prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls for producing of electric power, Nikola Tesla
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1470 [1], given: 1

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 1

Re: Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, because [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2008, 20:38
My Pick is C.

(A) Nikola Tesla, ........, because he was excited with the prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls for producing electric power, he
(B) The prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls to produce electric power was exciting to Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, and so he
(C)
D and E just don't make any sense at all, plain bad.

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2008, 03:29
C) - It correctly place the modifiers, not too far from subject.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2008, 19:14
sondenso wrote:
Why not D?
I see D very close to!

The sentence D just does not complete itself.
Try removing the clause and the sentence reads like:

Nikola Tesla excited about (blah blah) and predicted

A better construction would have been:
Nikola Tesla excited about (blah blah), predicted

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1470 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2008, 19:30
OA is C, thanks!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1470 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 114

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 10:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In this question with Option D

Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, excited about the prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls for the
production of electric power and predicted in the mid-1890's that electricity generated at Niagara
would one day power the streetcars of London and the streetlights of Paris.

I am not able to understand how --- > excited is participle adjective and predicted is verb

excited can be a verb ( expressing state of Nikola ) and predicted another verb ( hence parallel )

So confusion is how to identify in such sentences which -ed is verb and which -ed is participle ?

Will appreciate your response

If you like my post Kudos Please

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 114

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 1262 [3], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 15:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
One quick way to see that "excited" is not a verb here is that it is separated from the potential subject (Tesla) by a comma. I would never say "Bill Gates, founded Microsoft." Another clue is that "excited" would not be used as a verb unless Tesla were exciting something or someone else. For instance, "The rapper excited the crowd by throwing money off the stage." Tesla was the one who was excited--he wasn't doing the exciting.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1262 [3], given: 30

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 00:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2016, 00:34
Hello,

Sorry for opening this thread after so long.

Can you explain in 'E' except for the usage of excited with , what else is wrong?

Also, generally can I say that construction such as Modifier 1, Modifier 2, Subject is wrong? Both modifiers modifying the subject.

Thanks in advance

DmitryFarber wrote:
One quick way to see that "excited" is not a verb here is that it is separated from the potential subject (Tesla) by a comma. I would never say "Bill Gates, founded Microsoft." Another clue is that "excited" would not be used as a verb unless Tesla were exciting something or someone else. For instance, "The rapper excited the crowd by throwing money off the stage." Tesla was the one who was excited--he wasn't doing the exciting.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests
Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, because [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 18:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
correct idiom:

excite by or excite about

e. The inventor of alternating current, excited with the prospects of harnessing Niagara falls for producing electric power, Nikola Tesla

placement of modifier : The inventor of alternating current _ excited with the prospects of harnessing Niagara falls for producing electric power : first modifier is not modifying second modifier as there no relation between The inventor of alternating current and the fact that nicole tesla is excited about something.

Correct answer C remove that very efficiently - Excited about the prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls to produce electric power, Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1066 [0], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 08:50
Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, because he was excited with the prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls for producing electric power, he predicted in the mid-1890's that electricity generated at Niagara would one day power the streetcars of London and the streetlights of Paris.

(A) Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, because he was excited with the prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls for producing electric power, he - excited with is unidiomatic - You can be excited by something or you can be excited about something,
(B) The prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls to produce electric power was exciting to Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, and so he - subject-verb agreement
(C) Excited about the prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls to produce electric power, Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, - Correct
(D) Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, excited about the prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls for the production of electric power and - Tesla excited is incorrect -- was is needed
(E) The inventor of alternating current, excited with the prospects of harnessing Niagara Falls for producing of electric power, Nikola Tesla - excited with is unidiomatic ; Tesla too far from appositive -- the inventor of alternating current

Answer C

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1066 [0], given: 90

Re: Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, because   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2017, 08:50

Nikola Tesla, the inventor of alternating current, because

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap