It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 17:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nine months after the county banned jet skis and other water

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1356 [0], given: 543

Re: Nine months after the county banned jet skis and other water [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2013, 01:56
Does "it" refer to county? Option D is better than the rest

The judge overturned a ban so you need "that" clearly refers to ban... A and B are out

Option C the second that isn't necessary ( I can see why its wrong but not sure what it is)

Option E being incorrect

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1356 [0], given: 543

3 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 2294 [3], given: 219

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2013, 02:07
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
Does "it" refer to county? Option D is better than the rest

The judge overturned a ban so you need "that" clearly refers to ban... A and B are out

Option C the second that isn't necessary ( I can see why its wrong but not sure what it is)

Option E being incorrect

Nine months after the county banned jet skis and other water bikes from the tranquil waters of Puget Sound, a judge overturned the ban on the ground of violating state laws for allowing the use of personal watercraft on common waterways.

"it" in C and D refers to the ban

C. that it (the ban) violates state laws that allowed
D. that it (the ban) violated state laws allowing

Let me just add that option C is not correct because of the verbs:
a judge overturned the ban: so this ban does not exist or is no more effective
C)that violates: present tense... so is this ban still valid? No sense
D)that violated: past => correct

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Kudos [?]: 2294 [3], given: 219

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2015, 18:30
Hi,

Can someone clarify my doubt?

I got the meaning in C as, state law allowed the use of watercraft and Ban violates(as it is currently in action) the use of watercraft. On the whole, Judge overturned the ban on the ground that ban violates state laws that(state laws) allowed the use of personal watercraft.

Please clarify me on what is wrong in my understanding on the meaning in C..

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 350

Concentration: Technology, Finance
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2015, 12:36
First split:-
Past tense vs other tenses
banned.....overturned. So taking this forward violate should be in past tense namely "violated"
Eliminate --> A, B and C.

Second split:-
Active vs passive and also use of being.
Since the non-underlined portion is in active voice we need carry the same voice in underlined portion. Eliminate --> E

Answer -> D

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 350

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Nine months after the county banned jet skis and other water [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 22:31
For me although C makes more sense, but since D bypasses the possible contradictory tenses, I would choose D just to be on the safer side.

When the judge decided, the ban was still in place and doing what was it meant for :- so violates seems correct.. seem being the operating word
And since the use of personal water was not happening anymore at the time of decision therefore allowed also looks correct. looks being the key word.

But I am sure the the tenses are somewhat screwed in option C i just can't put my finger to it.. ... D looks good .. in fact better than C

Nine months after the county banned jet skis and other water bikes from the tranquil waters of Puget Sound, a judge overturned the ban on the ground of violating state laws for allowing the use of personal watercraft on common waterways.
A. of violating state laws for allowing
B. of their violating state laws to allow
C. that it violates state laws that allowed
D. that it violated state laws allowing
E. that state laws were being violated allowing

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V33
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 660 Q44 V36
GMAT 4: 560 Q40 V28
GMAT 5: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 6: 680 Q45 V37
GMAT 7: 690 Q47 V37

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 10:49
A. of violating state laws for allowing
B. of their violating state laws to allow
C. that it violates state laws that allowed
D. that it violated state laws allowing
E. that state laws were being violated allowing

The obvious answer options narrow it down to C and D.Now in D, it says the judge overturned "Past tense" the ban on grounds that violated "Past tense" state laws.(correct as tenses are parallel) and then it says that this action resulted in allowing-the use of personal watercraft on common waterways.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 255

Concentration: Economics, International Business
Schools: ISB '19, Fox"19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 09:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
choice (e) is TOTALLY wrong. if you can't kill choice (e) quickly, you should read through a large number of correct answers to SC questions in the official guides, just for the purpose of internalizing the writing style of the correct answers.
i can't overestimate the importance of becoming comfortable with the writing style of the gmat. in the same way you can classify language as 'shakespearean' or 'faulkner-esque' at a glance, you can also classify language as to whether you might see it on the gmat. once you achieve a certain degree of this familiarity, choice (e) and its ilk will begin to look ridiculous.

the formal reasons why choice (e) is wrong: 1, it uses the passive voice for no good reason whatsoever, and, 2, more importantly, it says only that state laws were being violated; it doesn't at all indicate the crucial fact that the ban violated the state laws. that's baaaaaadd bad bad.

choice (c) is wrong because the tenses don't make sense. 'violates' is in the present tense, but 'allowed' is in the past tense. either one of these tenses could potentially make sense individually, but the combination is absurd: you can't violate (present tense) a law that used to allow something (past tense). if you're going to violate the law in the present tense, then whatever part of the law was violated had better carry over into the present tense.
interestingly, all 3 other tense combinations make sense: violates/allows, violated/allows (if the law is still in effect), and violated/allowed (if the law is no longer in effect).

choice (d) circumvents this issue altogether by employing the participle form (-ing). despite its name (it's formally called the "present participle"), this form is NOT necessarily a present-tense construction; rather, it has no inherent tense at all, and merely adopts the tense of whatever verbs in the sentence do have a tense. therefore, in choice (d), 'allowing' takes place in the past tense, simultaneously with 'violated'.

Courtsey-
RonPurewal
Manhattan

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 255

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 444

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 03:20
Dear egmat,

Appreciate your great advise.

Between options C and D, why D is correct?
Below is my observation:
C. that it violates state laws that allowed ---> allowed modifies laws
D. that it violated state laws allowing ---> allowing modifies laws

is it because of violating has happened in the past? hence need to use past tense?
Many thanks

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 444

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 05:19
"Ground of" is a wrong idiom.

"of violating" and "for allowing" are wordy and awkward phrases. Keeping both in mind we can eliminate options A and B.

The pronoun "their" in option B is ambiguous because there's no logical plural noun for it to refer to, but "it" can logically refer to "the ban." The pronoun "it" isn't ambiguous here in option C and D; it refers to "the ban" unambiguously.

In C, “violates” is in the wrong tense. The judge “overturned the ban” (in the past). It is not possible that the ban “violates state laws” (in the present). Keep all the verbs in the same tense unless a change in tense is required. Eliminate C.

The tenses in D are correct. At the time the judge “overturned” the ban (in the past), the ban “violated”(also in the past) state laws allowing the use of personal watercraft on common waterways. The present participle “allowing” indicates an action contemporaneous with “violated”; the two actions took place at the same time.

E is indeed wordy and distorts the meaning. C has a tense error ("violates"), so D is the only answer choice without a grammar error.
The correct answer is D.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 855

Re: Nine months after the county banned jet skis and other water   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2017, 05:19

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ]