Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hmm, it's not impossible, but most top schools do require an undergrad degree. (For executive ed. programs, it's probably more lax.)

Probably the two questions that come to my mind are: 1) Why didn't you finish? If you had a good reason, that would help with your application "story" a lot. 2) How far are you from completing a degree? Are you close enough that you could take a year's worth of night/weekend classes and get your undergrad degree? It may be worth it if you want to get into a top-10 school.

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Reply to questions [#permalink]
Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

To answer your questions:
1- I was an emotionally immature ne’er-do-well kid. Didn't do some coursework (because I had girlfriend issues & issues with my father, who was funding my education) and left university without enough credits for a BS.

2- I am very close to getting a BS. I have been in contact with my university and they are currently reviewing my situation. I am keen on getting my degree. I hope to be able to finish it within the next 6-10 months. I have no doubt that I will score well in the remaining subjects (A - B at the least) as I have performed well in a few professional exams since graduating.

I have matured greatly in the past couple of years. I am confident that I am able to perform at the MBA level. Many of my peers & superiors at work graduated from good schools (Wharton, Amherst, etc...). They have been my benchmark for the past few years.

The strongest part of my application will probably be my work experience (my current work seems to be the goal of some MBA students) and recommendations. My academic past and personal essays are the areas that I am working on right now.

(Apologies for the long post - I would appreciate your comments)
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
You don't need to convince me that you're more mature now... Spend your energy convincing adcomms!

Seriously, focus on getting your degree, then think about your MBA, maybe a year or two from now. No point in ptting the cart before the horse.

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Scott. You make a valid point.

My intention was to apply for the 2007/08 academic year. By then I will have completed my degree together with some related professional exams and have had some more work experience (hopefully I'll make associate by my next performance review in a couple of months).

It seems that most of the people in my industry did extremely well at the undergraduate level, worked for a couple of years as analysts, then attended a top 10 business school for their MBA before returning as associates.

My path is a bit unconventional. I was starting to think that it would be impossible to get into a good school having bungled my initial undergraduate studies.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
No, not imporssible. But you need to SHOW adcomms how you've matured, what you're achieved since then, etc., rather than just telling them.

Scott

Originally posted by quixx23 on 26 Nov 2005, 07:53.
Last edited by quixx23 on 26 Nov 2005, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Show it - Prove it [#permalink]
Is this reasonable this for a summary of achievements (I would elaborate on these points):

- Enrolled in University to complete degree while working (A-B grades). [Overcoming past failures]
- Worked on over a $1 billion of real estate acquisitions in the US, UK & Europe. Was responsible for investment analysis (including DCF Modeling involving complex financial structures), preparing investment proposals to the executive and investment committees and due diligence.
- Worked on acquisitions in the Hotel, Office and Retail sectors.
- Wrote PPM's & made presentations for the firm's investments.
- Liaised closely with joint venture partners and property managers internationally in relation to current investments.
- Responsible for reviewing the annual budgets for the properties and making recommendations to the real estate team.
- Raised $X million from high net worth investors for acquisitions. [This is an additional achievement - not part of my job. I might be able to close an institutional investor during this year as well]
- Raised $XX k for orphans education fund. [I'm currently working on this]
- Memberships: ULI (Urban Land Institute).
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
These are pretty good. Remember that "I did this specific thing and achieved that" is more powerful than simply "I worked on this." Show what you specifically accomplished. We talk about this a lot in our book.

Scott

Originally posted by quixx23 on 26 Nov 2005, 16:30.
Last edited by quixx23 on 27 Nov 2005, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Your book [#permalink]
Thanks Scott. I think that I'll get myself a copy.
GMAT Club Bot
Your book [#permalink]