Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:ESADE, IE
 Q49  V32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Status:Dedicated to crack GMAT and to find an admission in top B schoolm
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business
Schools:IESE, LBS, ISB
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Status:Dedicated to crack GMAT and to find an admission in top B schoolm
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business
Schools:IESE, LBS, ISB
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: operations
Schools:NUS
Send PM
Re: No topic exists. Colonial historian David Allen's intensive [#permalink]
czarczar wrote:
No topic exists.

Colonial historian David Allen's intensive study of five communities in seventeenth-century Massachusetts is a model of meticulous scholarship on the detailed microcosmic level, and is convincing up to a point. Allen suggests that much more coherence and direct continuity existed between English and colonial agricultural practices and administrative organization than other historians have suggested. However, he overstates his case with the declaration that he has proved "the remarkable extent to which diversity in New England local institutions was directly imitative of regional differences in the mother country."

Such an assertion ignores critical differences between seventeenth-century England and New England. First, England was overcrowded and land-hungry; New England was sparsely populated and labor-hungry. Second, England suffered the normal European rate of mortality; New England, especially in the first generation of English colonists, was virtually free from infectious diseases. Third, England had an all-embracing state church; in New England membership in a church was restricted to the elect. Fourth, a high proportion of English villagers lived under paternalistic resident squires; no such class existed in New England. By narrowing his focus to village institutions and ignoring these critical differences, which studies by Greven, Demos, and Lockridge have shown to be so important, Allen has created a somewhat distorted picture of reality.

Allen's work is a rather extreme example of the "country community" school of seventeenth-century English history whose intemperate excesses in removing all national issues from the history of that period have been exposed by Professor Clive Holmes. What conclusion can be drawn, for example, from Allen's discovery that Puritan clergy who had come to the colonies from East Anglia were one-third to one-half as likely to return to England by 1660 as were Puritan ministers from western and northern England? We are not told in what way, if at all, this discovery illuminates historical understanding. Studies of local history have enormously expanded our horizons, but it is a mistake for their authors to conclude that village institutions are all that mattered, simply because their functions are all that the records of village institutions reveal.

Q:The passage suggests that Professor Clive Holmes would most likely agree with which of the following statements?

A) An understanding of seventeenth-century English local institutions requires a consideration of national issues.
B) The "country community" school of seventeenth-century English history distorts historical evidence in order to establish continuity between old and new institutions.
C) Most historians distort reality by focusing on national concerns to the exclusion of local concerns.
D) National issues are best understood from the perspective of those at the local level.
E) Local histories of seventeenth-century English villages have contributed little to the understanding of village life.

Q: It can be inferred from the passage that the author of the passage consider Allen's theory(see highlighted text) to be

A) already known to early historians
B) based on logical fallacy This can be inferred from last sentence of last para "it is a mistake for their authors to conclude that ...."
C) improbable but nevertheless convincing
D) an unexplained, isolated fact
E) a new, insightful explanation.

Please do provide the reasoning also. :)

OA's after discussion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:ESADE, IE
 Q49  V32
Send PM
Any more takes?

Anways, I have edited the post with the OA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship,PE,VC
Schools:Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
 Q42  V10
Send PM
Experts, Pls help to provide explanations
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Can someone explain what below statements conveys,i dint understood and hence mistaken answer,sometimes author wording for a passage is so dense,i just keep re-reading same line 4-5 times and still dint get right answer

"Allen's work is a rather extreme example of the "country community" school of seventeenth-century English history whose intemperate excesses in removing all national issues from the history of that period have been exposed by Professor Clive Holmes"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
gjayachandra wrote:
Q2 > clearly it can be understood that the picture given Allen is not correct because he missed the logic that National issues should be considered to asserted his study.

so B is the answer

Hi I'm new to Gmatclub so I'm not sure if the explanation to this question is already addressed elsewhere...but for question 2 I had also thought the answer was B but it is incorrect. Why is the answer D? Can anyone please explain?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
2 More questions. Anyone knows the answers?

17. According to the passage, which of the following was true of most villages in seventeenth-century England?
(A) The resident squire had significant authority.
(B) Church members were selected on the basis of their social status within the community.
(C) Low population density restricted agricultural and economic growth.
(D) There was little diversity in local institutions from one region to another.
(E) National events had little impact on local customs and administrative organization.

20. The author of the passage is primarily concerned with
(A) substantiating a claim about a historical event
(B) reconciling two opposing ideas about a historical era
(C) disputing evidence a scholar uses to substantiate a claim about a historical event
(D) analyzing two approaches to scholarly research and evaluating their methodologies
(E) criticizing a particular study and the approach to historical scholarship it represents

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts