GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 22:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.

No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 08:40
lary301254M7 wrote:
what is the difference between "guarded skepticism" and "slight appreciation"?

This is the only question I missed.

Hi lary301254M7,

you actually quoted the second word incorrectly, because it is "slight apprehension".

Apprehension is something like a fear, a hunch or a state of being worried - atleast from my understanding. You answered all the other question correctly so I guess you know that the author doesn't fear the traditional theory.

In contrast to that, it can be inferred that the author questions the tradtional theory and hence he is sceptic. Thus, E) is the best choice.

I hope that helps :-)

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2018, 08:34
Usually I am not good at RC, but managed to get all correct, good passage

My answers:
EBAEDABB
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V33

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 21:57
it took me a looong 10 minutes 20 seconds to do this one..but got all correct.
Am I lagging behind or on the mark?
Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 23:13
GMATNinja mikemcgarry

can you suggest me some tips or any kind of tactic i can use when i dont really know the meaning of the word.
For Q4 , author's tone towards traditional view i chose A . Now i did not know the meaning of apprehension and so tried to find it's root word and reached to apprehend (of which i had no idea ).

though i knew the meaning of choice E and agree that it is right, i would like to know what to do in such situations as such words sometimes are hard to comprehend.
please give some advice
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 14:20
AdityaHongunti wrote:
GMATNinja mikemcgarry

can you suggest me some tips or any kind of tactic i can use when i dont really know the meaning of the word.
For Q4 , author's tone towards traditional view i chose A . Now i did not know the meaning of apprehension and so tried to find it's root word and reached to apprehend (of which i had no idea ).

though i knew the meaning of choice E and agree that it is right, i would like to know what to do in such situations as such words sometimes are hard to comprehend.
please give some advice

If you don't understand some of the answer choices, all you can really do is rely on process of elimination as far as it will go. If you understand 4 of 5 answer choices well enough to eliminate or keep them, then your move is to just pick the best choice and move on.

This is obviously true when the 4 choices you understand can all be eliminated. But it's still true when you can eliminate 3 choices you understand, and one of the remaining choices seems like the best one -- and I think you're saying that you knew that (E) was a better answer than (A), so the choice sounds like it was fairly clear.

Also, on this particular question type — where each choice contains two words and both must be correct for the choice to be correct — you can attempt to eliminate based purely on one of those two words. You may not be certain what "apprehension" means, but you do know what "slightly" means, and you can determine whether this matches the degree of how this author regards the traditional view. Following through with this example, (B) would be a pretty straightforward elimination, even if we didn't understand the meaning of "indifferent." This tactic might not get you all THAT far, but it can be better than nothing in some cases.

And in the (perhaps very) long run, reading more good, challenging materials will help prevent the vocabulary problem from happening at all. Some suggested reading materials are available here and here.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 18:23
lary301254M7

Para 1:
If you read through the first para, the author introduced formation of the ocean basins. The author explains ‘traditional view’, but doesn’t reject it directly. Instead of that, author explains the ‘theoretical view’. This means, author provides some soft of explanation which may not be practical.

then in the para 2:
The author calls traditional theory as ‘implausible’ and then gives an alternative version.

slight apprehension: for me, if i relate para 1 & para 2 then author doesn’t seem apprehensive (worried, tensed, fearful about the outcome).
hence, the option “guarded skepticism” is more appropriate as the Author calls the traditional theory as ‘implausible’. he didn’t straightaway reject the traditional view but gave ‘so called theoretical ‘ explanation as well.
So author is skeptic about truthiness of traditional view.

I hope this is clear.

Please give kudos.
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 19:01
AdityaHongunti wrote:
GMATNinja mikemcgarry

please give some advice

AdityaHongunti : try adapting below process. see if you need more explanation. I understand your problem. even i wasn’t 100% sure of the meaning of words in choices A, B and E. But This is how i read the para and interpreted the tone.

GMATNinja: thank you, my legend, for taking time out and giving some ideas. do let me know if you think my approach will work. again, you are right, i went more by elimination method.

Para 1:
If you read through the first para, the author introduced formation of the ocean basins. The author explains ‘traditional view’, but doesn’t reject it directly . Instead of that, author explains the ‘theoretical view’. This means, author provides some soft of 'probable' explanation.

then in the para 2:
The author calls traditional theory as ‘implausible’ and then gives an alternative version. Author supports the version by connecting it to an example of some ocean or land.

Para 3;
Author further provides another opinion and again provides sufficient examples.

Overall:
So, author introduced a topic and gave a theoretical explanation. Then author provided 2 counter views and supported each view with some examples. Author didn’t sound very confident in supporting a particular view. Author kept giving some examples.

now, i started going through each choices:
(A) slight apprehension :
My view: Let’s ignore apprehension and concentrate on ‘slight’. well, author didn’t sound like talking “slightly”. author always gave some explanations. so not a correct choice.

(B) absolute indifference
My view: again, let’s ignore ‘indifference’ and concentrate on ‘absolute’. author didn’t support any options ‘absolutely’. he jumped from one suggestion to another. so not a correct choice.

(C) indignant anger :
My view: Wow, WTF is ‘indignant’; author surely didn’t look angry. so not a correct choice.

(D) complete disbelief
My view: hell no, author always supported views with some examples, so clearly, this is not a correct option.

(E) guarded skepticism
My view: even though i didn’t know skepticism , i thought “guarded” meant author supported/explained. yes, author did gave alternate theories and provided examples.

hence i thought E was the most optimal.

I hope this is clear.

Please give kudos.
VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 02:06
lary301254M7 wrote:
what is the difference between "guarded skepticism" and "slight appreciation[/b]"?

This is the only question I missed.

hey [b]lary301254M7 I think you misread, "slight apprehension" means to fear something slightly, whereas "guarded skepticism" means to be skeptical about something cautiously :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 16:18
Could someone please help explain to me why option B is correct for Q7? From what line(s), can we specifically refer to to say that the floor of the Black Sea can be compared to a "slowly settling foundation"?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 20:26
csaluja wrote:
Could someone please help explain to me why option B is correct for Q7? From what line(s), can we specifically refer to to say that the floor of the Black Sea can be compared to a "slowly settling foundation"?

The only mention of the Black Sea comes at the very end of paragraph 3. So what's up with paragraph 3?

This paragraph presents a theory that explains "the enclosed seas," which the author describes as "overlaid by several kilometers of sediment" and "sinking for long periods." Then the author states plainly that the Gulf of Mexico, the Black Sea, and perhaps the North Sea have similar origins to the enclosed seas developing today. So the Black Sea is one example of an enclosed sea, whose basin has formed from sediment that has sunk atop its floor over a long period of time (in other words, a slowly settling foundation).

I hope this helps connect the dots -- er, i mean, the sedimentary layers. :-o

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Bot
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused &nbs [#permalink] 26 Nov 2018, 20:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap