It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 16:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 55

Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 08:28
Hi, I could narrow down between Options A and C. Then I selected C because I thought the use of HAVE in the underlined part is wrong in option A.

A. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found

C. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find

According to me the second part should be : HAVE tried to count typically find

Have connects past and present. Thus something happened in past (the process of counting) and the result (find it) is in present.

Please suggest where am I wrong?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 55

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 10:05
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty (of? ) distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

A. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found

B. and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding

C. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find

D. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found

E. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

first do 2-3 split with A,B and C having 'and' and D and E having 'or' not 'between......and' is correct not 'between or'
so we eliminate D and E and are left with A,b and C

In option B there is subject verb disagreement as language is singular and them is plural so eliminate B ,in option C the triend counting is improper usage,so eliminate

left with A which is correct

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 18

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 21:01
sunainaluthra wrote:
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub languages or dialects within it. but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand

A) and the sublanguages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found
B) and the sublanguages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding
C) and the sublanguages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find
D) or the sublanguages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found
E) or the sublanguages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

I selected correct answer choice A. But my doubt is if one of the answer choice was:

and the sub languages or dialects within it. but those who tried to count found

would this be correct in the context of the question? I feel am overlooking a very simple concept but just not able to get my head around this. Any help is much appreciated.

your question is good.

the difference between simple past and present perfect is basic and is explained a lot in grammar book. this is a textbook case.
to fully understand this point, I recommend you read the book "advanced grammar in used".

present perfect can be used to say: a past action without a point of time, a past action relating to present, and a past action which happened recently. present perfect can be used to say about an action which continue to present.

So, we have 4 cases of uses of present perfect. if we read a grammar book, we can know these 4 cases. But to remember these 4 cases, we have to practice realizing each case whenever you read text. in short, you have to see grammar points in the text. this is the only way to master grammar.

because we can not master the difference between have done and did, we are confused when facing them. but this is basic point.

whenever I see a tense in the text I read, I try to realize the grammatical role of it. it refers to a past action or an action continuing to present. this way help me master the tense easily. consult the grammar books when reading the text is normal.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 259

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 10:06
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty (of? ) distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

Got confused as to what 'it' refers to.

So started understanding the second half of the sentence.

The structure would be somewhat like this:
Nobody knows................but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

Subject verb is fine.
Nobody (subject).........knows (verb)
those (subject)............have tried(verb)
those who have tried to count (subject)...............have found (verb)

A is the right choice.

Is this understanding correct.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 19:24
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 1049 [0], given: 375

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 19:57
nightwing79 wrote:
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

B. and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding

D. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found

E. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

What is "those" pronoun refer to? Does it ("those") refer to the languages being counted?

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1049 [0], given: 375

Director
Director
G

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 23:38
ziyuen wrote:
nightwing79 wrote:
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

What is "those" pronoun refer to? Does it ("those") refer to the languages being counted?

Good question!!
This confusion is there because there is not a clear noun that this pronoun refers to.
But according to what I understood, 'Nobody' is its antecedent.

Nobody can be a subject and the meaning of the sentence is that nobody knows exactly how many languages are there in the world BUT those who have tried to count........

I hope this understanding is correct.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3085 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 10:53
ziyuen wrote:
nightwing79 wrote:

No, it refers to people who tried to count the number of languages/ dialects. Those people have found about five thousand dialects/languages.

Kudos [?]: 3085 [0], given: 22

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 198

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 05:12
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of
distinguishing between a language and the sublanguages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to
count typically have found about five thousand.

A. and the sublanguages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found
Correct as it is ..

B. and the sublanguages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding
“them” – plural pronoun does NOT match the singular antecedent “language”
“with those who have …” is not making any sense … “with..” construction is ungrammatical … “who have tried ..” does NOT have any verb at all …

C. and the sublanguages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find
“it” after “counting” should refer to “languages” – plural as they have tried counting “languages”…so “it” should be “them”
Also the present tense “find” is incorrect …it should be present perfect “have found”

D. or the sublanguages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found
“or” is incorrect …distinguish between X and Y is the correct idiom
Simple Past Tense “found” is incorrect

E. or the sublanguages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding
“or” is incorrect …distinguish between X and Y is the correct idiom

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 198

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 222

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 08:19
I would like to ask which noun those refers to?

Many thanks for your help v:

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 222

Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2017, 08:19

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ]