Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Subject Verb Agreementx                                    
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Leadership, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Anuj6221 wrote:
C : eliminate ,usage of IT is ambiguous ( can refer to dialects or language )

A very minor (but important) observation Anuj: "it" can only refer to "singular non-person" nouns and hence, "it" cannot refer to the plural noun "dialects".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly [#permalink]
nightwing79 wrote:
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

(A) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found

(B) and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding

(C) and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find

(D) or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found

(E) or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

I read this question and immediately noticed the "between a language", which requires an "and" after, not "or". So, choices #4 and 5 are out.

I scanned the remaining three and saw that the first place they diverged was with "it"/"they". The meaning is the sub-languages or dialects within a language, which is singular. Choice #2 is out.

I compared #1 and #3. In #3, the sentence (with replacement of "it" for the noun "a language") is "...and the sub-languages or dialects within a language, but those who have tried counting a language typically find about 5,000." The red text doesn't make sense.

It's clearly #1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly [#permalink]
As per my understanding , between X and Y is the correct structure even we have to add some "OR" condition, it always affects the later part ( Y in this case). So I am not sure how A is correct.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
akt715 wrote:
As per my understanding , between X and Y is the correct structure even we have to add some "OR" condition, it always affects the later part ( Y in this case). So I am not sure how A is correct.

Hope you got the structure correct.

The structure in A is:

..between

(i) X (a language)
and
(ii) Y (the sub-languages or dialects within it)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [1]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly [#permalink]
Hi DmitryFarber GraceSCKao KarishmaB GMATNinja egmat
avigutman - I see that some experts have used this as a decision point - "try to X" and "try X-ing"

I read Dmitry's Post and GMAT Ninja's post about this issue but I am not able to logically understand the difference between these 2 structures

I have attempted to understand via an analogy

Please let me know your thoughts !

Quote:
I hated to eat carrots
vs
I hated eating carrots

In the first -->
  • this sentence is in the past tense
  • the sentence implies this was a "Habit" of mine in the past

In the 2nd -->
  • this sentence is also in the past tense
  • the sentence emphasises not the "Habit" of eating per se
  • The sentence emphasises the "Eating" -- this emphasises the verb (perhaps my jaws hurt or my gums bled when I was eating carrots)

I think this difference is too subtle though

Thoughts ?

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 19 Jul 2022, 08:04.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 20 Jul 2022, 07:51, edited 5 times in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
think this difference is too subtle though

I agree, jabhatta2.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Actually, "try to X" and "try X-ing" are both valid constructions with different meanings. If I try to surf, I am attempting to surf. I may or may not succeed. If I try surfing, I am trying out the experience of surfing to see if I like it. It's common to see advice along the lines of "Try studying in the morning and see if you get better results." You're not ATTEMPTING and possibly failing to study in the morning; rather, you're studying in the morning to see if it works well for you.

In the context of this SC question, however, "tried counting" doesn't make sense. We want to say that people attempted to count but were not able to get a precise answer, not that they tried out the experience of counting to see if they liked it!

DmitryFarber

Thank you for your helpful explanation.

To clarify, I was initially focused on the -ing parallelism between "distinguishing" and "counting." Would Choice C be correct if the second "it" was removed? --> "and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting typically find"?
I realize that choice A has correct parallelism with the repetition of "have." Thank you for your time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Correct idiom is distinguish between A and B
d) and e) are out
c)the second refers to a language. Doesnt makes any sense if there is a single language what is the problem in counting it
d) them refers to sub languages/dialects and makes no sense at all
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts