Joined: 11 Apr 2007
, given: 6
Career Changer / semi-nontraditional eval request [#permalink]
27 Sep 2013, 01:05
Here is my info:
1) Personal: 29 yrs old; American; White male.
Also the first in my family to graduate university, if that matters.
Regionally well ranked small private university
• B.A. – International Studies / Minor – Asian Studies , 2007
• GPA: 3.17/4 ( 3.57 in last 3 semesters)
• Studied abroad in Mexico for credit.
• Also studied in Russia and Guatemala, though it’s not on my transcript for credit.
EC: During university I was quite active in my fraternity, intramural sports, some volunteer work tutoring at risk children in the local community, and I also did a few more things (including Hurricane Katrina relief). I also served a year as a student government representative.
3) Work Experience:
* Navy: Joined a special program but was discharged because of an eye program. (4 months)
* Large Insurance company: workers' comp case handler. I investigated new claims, managed them, and settled the case with the claimant or attorney at the end. (9 months). I decided it wasn't right for me at the time and I decided to move to Asia, which was always a desire of mine.
* Asia: 1) I have been teaching English, history and math for the last 3.5 years. 2) Work for a publishing company part-time creating study material for national English exams. 3) Currently developing a website with a partner at the same publishing company. The website will be an electronically based teaching platform where students can take video lessons, receive writing instruction, and feedback. It's in the opening phase, and we're currently marketing the website to the desired market.
4) Recent Extracurriculars:
* Baseball team coach and player for 1 year in a recreational league.
* Myself and my co-captain started a new team and recruited players to play on a team in a semi-pro level baseball league in Korea. It's amateur in that we aren't paid, but the level is extremely competitive. Outside of the pro league here it is ranked as the most competitive amateur league in the country. I am also a player on this team. As a team we have helped the Korean Special Olympics Baseball Team prepare for competition by practicing and scrimmaging with them.
* Current intermediate Korean and Spanish speaker.
* I wish to make a career change into international business. Emerging markets and sustainability, sustainability and political economy are interests of mine.
My biggest worry is not having a very stable work history, plus I have worked for three schools during my time here. It is contractual work though, and moving on to new and better positions is quite common.
6) GMAT -
* Last GMAC practice exam: 650, Q37 V41
* I have barely cracked math beyond refreshing the basics. I believe I have a mid 40s math score, and a bit higher verbal score in me.
* I'll be taking the test in mid to late November.
7) Target Schools –
I'm hoping to target good international schools such as INSEAD, LBS, IMD. For the states Michigan, Virginia, Northwestern, Chicago, Cornell, Emory, Olin,UNC. Maybe a few in Asia such as HKUST, SNU, Yonsei, CEIBS.
Would I have a chance at any M7?
I know a lot rides on the GMAT. But assuming I'm around 700 where do I have a realistic chance at being accepted?