GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 11:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Normally a bone becomes fossilized through the action of groundwater

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Re: Normally a bone becomes fossilized through the action of groundwater  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 16:25
abhish27 wrote:
GMATNinja How is E here incorrect? I am unable to understand how option E is altering the meaning ?

The problem with choice (E), as described in this post, is that all three "-ing" modifiers (permeating, washing, and replacing) seem to modify the preceding clause: "Normally a bone becomes fossilized through the action of groundwater."

So do all three of these actions ("permeating", "washing", and "replacing") happen as a result of the fossilization process? Does the bone itself do those three things while the bone is becoming fossilized??

Instead, it's the groundwater that permeates the bone, washes away its organic components, and replaces them with minerals. This logical meaning is clearer in choice (A).

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Normally a bone becomes fossilized through the action of groundwater  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2020, 23:50
here in option A.. them goes for organic substances .. then how come replaces is used as replaces represent singular and them is for plural
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2020, 00:56
pragya007 wrote:
here in option A.. them goes for organic substances .. then how come replaces is used as replaces represent singular and them is for plural

Hi Pragya, the structure of A is:

....of groundwater, which permeates the bone, washes away its organic components, and replaces them with minerals.

So, which (referring to singular groundwater) is the subject for the verb replaces.

Basically, the sentence is conveying that groundwater replaces organic components with minerals.
EducationAisle Online GMAT Classes

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.04
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2020, 10:04
which permeates the bone, washes away its organic components, and replaces them with minerals.

Why its wrong to think the permeation of Ground water into the bone washes away its organic components(causality)

hence I chose c .

Please help someone. and why 'to be replaced' is wrong
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 11:30
Quote:
Normally a bone becomes fossilized through the action of groundwater, which permeates the bone, washes away its organic components, and replaces them with minerals.

Doesn't this sentence violate the rule - 1 clause cannot have more than 1 verb?

Shrekey

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 15:43
rsrighosh wrote:
Quote:
Normally a bone becomes fossilized through the action of groundwater, which permeates the bone, washes away its organic components, and replaces them with minerals.

Hmm, I'm not sure what rule you're talking about.

• "Tim likes to eat, drink, and be fat and drunk." - Here's an independent clause with three verbs.
  • "Tim likes to hang out with people who eat sushi, drink whiskey, and dance the lambada." - Here we have a "who" clause that contains three verbs.

Either of these examples is completely fine, as is choice (A) in this question.

If that doesn't quite answer your question, let us know!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 18:31
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
H

So why else is option E incorrect, even though it uses parallel structure? The GMAT requires the use of the serial comma (aka the Oxford comma) for every item in a list, including the last item in a list of 3+ items. Answer E doesn’t use a serial comma for the third item, so it’s wrong.

But even more fundamentally, (options D and E), insert “permeating” as an -ing modifier right after the comma, which opens up a confusing ambiguous reference because “permeating” could mean that:

1) groundwater permeates the bone
2) the action of groundwater permeates the bone
3) or even the fossilization through the action of groundwater permeates the bone

A is both parallel, and retains the intended message.

Don’t study for the GMAT. Train for it.

1. Oxford comma is not optional for list of items: A,B and C- i thin it is clear enough. We use comma before and if new clause comes after and.
Do you mean even for phrase also we need a comma before and?

2. is not "action of groundwater rather than ground water" modifying permeating the bone, washing away its organic components and replacing them?
please clarify. how ground water itself can permeate bone but its action can permeate.
Intern
Intern
B
Normally a bone becomes fossilized through the action of groundwater  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 20:54
Quote:
rsrighosh wrote:
Quote:

Hmm, I'm not sure what rule you're talking about.

"Tim likes to eat, drink, and be fat and drunk." - Here's an independent clause with three verbs.
"Tim likes to hang out with people who eat sushi, drink whiskey, and dance the lambada." - Here we have a "who" clause that contains three verbs.

Either of these examples is completely fine, as is choice (A) in this question.

If that doesn't quite answer your question, let us know!

GMATNinja

Thank you for your response.

Let me rephrase my question:-Doesn't A violate the rule:- One subject cannot have more than one verb.
Let me give an example:-

I saw a question:-

Considered one of the most intelligent of the New World monkeys, capuchins cleverly create an insecticide and crush millipedes, rubbing the remains of the bugs over its back.

A) capuchins cleverly create an insecticide and crush millipedes, rubbing the remains

B) capuchins cleverly create an insecticide, they crush millipedes, and with such rub the remains

C) capuchins use their cleverness to create an insecticide, crush millipedes, and rub the remains

D) the capuchin cleverly creates an insecticide, crushes millipedes, and it rubs the remains

E) the capuchin cleverly creates an insecticide, crushing millipedes and rubbing the remains

Here option E is right but D is not. As per my understanding, D contains two verbs for the subject capuchin "creates" and "crushes" which makes the sentence incorrect

why A is correct in this situation but D is incorrect in the Capuchin question.

In your examples:-
"Tim likes to eat, drink, and be fat and drunk."
"Tim likes to hang out with people who eat sushi, drink whiskey, and dance the lambada."

The main verb for Tim is "likes" which is a single verb.
Also, in the second sentence "who" = "people"... and "people" is having 3 verbs - eat, drink, dance... isn't this structure incorrect? -- or am i wrong in understanding the rule?

Shrekey

GMAT Club Bot
Normally a bone becomes fossilized through the action of groundwater   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2020, 20:54

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

Normally a bone becomes fossilized through the action of groundwater

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics