Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Evaluate Argumentx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 843 [311]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [104]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [38]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Re: Normally, the pineal gland governs a person's sleep-wake [#permalink]
Kudos
ChrisLele wrote:
Normally, the pineal gland governs a person's sleep-wake cycle by secreting melatonin in response to the daily cycle of light and darkness as detected by the eye. Nonetheless, many people who are totally blind due to lesions in the visual cortex of the brain easily maintain a 24-hour sleep-wake cycle. So the neural pathway by which the pineal gland receives information from the eye probably does not pass through the visual cortex.

For purposes of evaluating the argument it would be most useful to establish which of the following?

The argument: the pineal gland secretes hormones according to changes in light and dark. Blind people still react to normal sleep-wake cycle, therefore the pineal gland must not go through the visual cortex. We need an extra piece of information that will help us determine the soundness of the argument.

(A) Whether melatonin supplements help people
who have difficulty maintaining a 24-hour sleep
cycle to establish such a pattern

Here we are only dealing with people whose sight has not been impaired. In order to evaluate the argument, we need to understand how blind people's pineal glands react to changes in light.

(B) Whether the melatonin levels of most totally
blind people who successfully maintain a
24-hour sleep-wake cycle change in response to
changes in exposure to light and darkness

If the pineal gland is indeed responsible for mediating the sleep wake cycle, then blind people have to be responding to light and dark (that's how the pineal gland works). True, it is not via their visual cortex, but somehow the pineal gland of blind people must be able to detect light and darkness. Therefore (B) helps us determine that blind people do notice changes in light and darkness. If they didn't, then we could not conclusively say that the pineal gland is responsible for their ability to maintain sleepless, and we could not conclude that the pineal gland does not pass through the visual cortex.

(C) Whether melatonin is the only substance
secreted by the pineal gland

This is tempting, but even if we find out that there is another substance that neither strengthens nor weakens the contention that the pineal gland bypasses the visual cortex.

(D) Whether most people who do not have a
24-hour sleep-wake cycle nevertheless have a
cycle of consistent duration

Here the focus is shifted away from blind people and to those who do not have normal sleep wake cycle.

(E) Whether there are any people with normal vision
whose melatonin levels respond abnormally to
periods of light and darkness

Again, a shift away from blind people. That is we are trying to understand how the pineal glands of blind people work.

Tough question :).

Thank you expert for posting.
normally I prethink an assmption for evaluate question though in some easy cases, the prethinking process happens naturally without effort . When the prethinking process dose not happen naturally, we have to take effort to prethink.

when it is hard to prethink an assumption, we have a hard question. of course there are many other factore which make the cr questions hard.

I can not prethink assumption and I have to go to answer choices and take a very long time to get to correct answer.

how do you do this question to finish it in 2,3 minutes. ? do you prethink an assumption.

pls, I want to know what is the assumption you prethink. I do not want to know what is an assumption for the correct answer. it is easy to find an assumption for the correct answer after you find the correct answer. it is also easy to explain the correct answer. But the problem is how do you prethink an assumption and what is an assumption prethought for this type of question. all of us know that the prethough assumption maybe is not the assumption on which the weakener/strengthener is based but the prethinking process is alway helpful.

what did you prethink before you look at the answer choices for this question. How do you prethink for this question. that is what we want to learn from you. what do you do before you look at the answer choices.

we need to know the SPECIFIC goal which we need to find in the answer choices. what we need to find in the answer choices must be spedific for us to be successful.if we identify only the general goal such as "information which increase this conclusion" we can not succeed.

pls help.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [2]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Question is a classical example of shell game technique played in GMAT by test makers.
If we do little bit of pre thinking. We can hit the correcct answer.
Conclusion: Neyaral pathway for pineal gland transmission is not through visual cortex.

The assumption that the argument takes is :-
1. Even persons with proper vision , the neural pathway for pineal gland is not through visual cortex.
AND
2. Blind people maintain sleep wake cycle, do so by the secretion of pineal gland only.

So we need to find an answer choice that does both supports and weakens our assumption.

Contenders are A and B.
Lets got through option A:- It supports the fact that sleep wake cycle is maintained not by [b]Pineal gland[/b], but by supplements.
If we go to the basics of strengthen weaken questions, we will note that we cannot challenge the fact presented in the arguments, facts are always considered correct. It is the implication of the facts that needs to be targeted and hence...In the above question we must not stray away from the fact that sleep wake cycle is maintained by pineal gland.....
Refer to the question 122 OG 13 , In this question for weakening, we are not targeting the fact that outsourcing is not a profit making method, as it is fact stated in the argument.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/out ... t8334.html

Option B : Clearly targets the assumption Blind people maintain the sleep wake cycle by secretion of penial gland.

Hope that helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------
Consider kudos, If my post helped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [2]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Kudos
1. Normal-Pineal gland releases melatonin in response to day and night
2. But wait, Blind people with lesions still mantain a consistent sleep cycle too
Conclusion: The pathway to get dark/light info from the eye skips the visual cortex
Key inferences/implications: 1. meltaonin regulates our sleep pattern in both blind and 'can see' people 2. Even in 'can see' people the pineal gland's pathway to producing melatonin skips the visual cortex

Pre-think- I see one possible and likely problem in this already, what if there was another way for the body to produce that melatonin consistently other than from light and darkness information?

Another important thing to notice that would have practical applications. None of the answer choices mention anything about a visual cortex, so even more justification not to not look to strengthen that link to any other part of the problem. Let's just focus on melatonin production then

A Meltaonin regulates sleep patterns. It's a fact in the prompt. We shouldn't doubt this which is what A is trying to do
B
C All we know about meltaonin is it regulates our sleep and is the only relevant hormone in the prompt. We could care less about other hormones OOS
D Prompt only talks about 24 hour sleep cycle OOS
E What does a spike or lack of meltanin have to do with anything? I'm not a scientist and this prompt doesn't tell me what an abundance or dearth of melatonin will do to my sleep cycle. We just want to know why a certain consistency of meltonin helps keep a regulated sleep pattern in both blind and 'can see' people

POE B

Let's look at B
(B) Whether the melatonin levels of most totally
blind people who successfully maintain a
24-hour sleep-wake cycle change in response to
changes in exposure to light and darkness

This question would answer the pre-think I had. If it is true that, say blind people can get means to produce meltatonin without detecting light, somehow regularly,they can still mantain a sleep cycle. Also agrees with prompt and constricts it to blind people and 24 hour sleep cycle. Doesn't make the errors of other answer choices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA (PGPX)
Send PM
Kudos
hidden assumption is: Blind people are similar to normal people when it comes to melatonin secretion.

B: Correctly evaluates this assumption by gauging melatonin levels when blind are expose different conditions. If they are respond then they are similar to normal people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: HBS '18
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3
Send PM
My problem is the same as already mentioned above. I am pretty good at explaining answers I already know. Problem lies in the pre-thinking.

In this case, I have to support that the neural pathway by which the pineal gland receives information from the eye probably doesn't pass through the visual cortex.

My first answer was A. Because if I said the melatonin supplements helped people, it would mean that the pineal gland and melatonin did their job without the visual cortex or bypassing the visual cortex.

I am wrong somewhere in my thinking. I am convinced by option B. That is not a problem. Kindly help
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
acharyaanupam wrote:
My problem is the same as already mentioned above. I am pretty good at explaining answers I already know. Problem lies in the pre-thinking.

In this case, I have to support that the neural pathway by which the pineal gland receives information from the eye probably doesn't pass through the visual cortex.

My first answer was A. Because if I said the melatonin supplements helped people, it would mean that the pineal gland and melatonin did their job without the visual cortex or bypassing the visual cortex.

I am wrong somewhere in my thinking. I am convinced by option B. That is not a problem. Kindly help

yes, same concern here. If we are giving melatonin through supplements then melatonin certainly isn't passing through the visual cortex, and if it helps people in their sleep cycle then it is strengthening the argument and if doesn't help people in their sleep cycle then it is weakening the argument Imo! and so can be used to evaluate?
How isn't A the answer then?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [2]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Premise : normal person -> melatonin govern sleep - wake cycle. --> pineal gland
blind peopple : leison in visual cortex -> still have functioning sleep-wake cycle.

conclusion : ok, then visual cortex doesn't come in between of melotinin path.

Prethinking :

1> what if blind people develops different pathway then normal path of melotinin ? as it's given (in normal condition)

(A) Whether melatonin supplements help people who have difficulty maintaining a 24-hour sleep cycle to establish such a pattern => we can negate this as comparison is between normal and blind people. not anything about people who have difficulty in sleeping.

(B) Whether the melatonin levels of most totally blind people who successfully maintain a 24-hour sleep-wake cycle change in response to changes in exposure to light and darkness - so something changes in case of blind people, aligned with prethinking.

(C) Whether melatonin is the only substance secreted by the pineal gland - not relevant

(D) Whether most people who do not have a 24-hour sleep-wake cycle nevertheless have a cycle of consistent duration - not the point here.

(E) Whether there are any people with normal vision whose melatonin levels respond abnormally to periods of light and darkness - not the point here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
parasena wrote:
Normally, the pineal gland governs a person's sleep-wake cycle by secreting melatonin in response to the daily cycle of light and darkness as detected by the eye. Nonetheless, many people who are totally blind due to lesions in the visual cortex of the brain easily maintain a 24-hour sleep-wake cycle. So the neural pathway by which the pineal gland receives information from the eye probably does not pass through the visual cortex.

For purposes of evaluating the argument it would be most useful to establish which of the following?

(A) Whether melatonin supplements help people who have difficulty maintaining a 24-hour sleep cycle to establish such a pattern

(B) Whether the melatonin levels of most totally blind people who successfully maintain a 24-hour sleep-wake cycle change in response to changes in exposure to light and darkness

(C) Whether melatonin is the only substance secreted by the pineal gland

(D) Whether most people who do not have a 24-hour sleep-wake cycle nevertheless have a cycle of consistent duration

(E) Whether there are any people with normal vision whose melatonin levels respond abnormally to periods of light and darkness

My reasoning was different so somebody pl approve :

Pineal grand => melatonin => visual cortex via. neural pathway => eye

normal cycle

No if in blind people with defect in visual cortex still getting the info of 24 hr sleep wake cycle then obviously visual cortex doesn't play any role. and cycle should be

Pineal grand => melatonin => eye

right?
But here the assumption is there is no other alternative thing for blind people working to make that happen.

(B) Whether the melatonin levels of most totally blind people who successfully maintain a 24-hour sleep-wake cycle change in response to changes in exposure to light and darkness

If this is true then yes, we can say neural pathway is not via visual cortex.
if not, then there is some other process and neural pathway could be via visual cortex
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Schulich '16
Send PM
i found this CR quite easy.

All choices leaving B are out of scope.

And choice B is too easy to understand and tick for a correct answer.
a yes for B-means it passes thru visual cortex and a no- it doesn't.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [5]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
Send PM
Kudos