Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V30
GRE 1: Q730 V500
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V30
GRE 1: Q730 V500
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: Not Crossing 640 in manhattan. (Q 44 and V 34). Need help [#permalink]
sherrysahi wrote:
Target score is 680 +.
nd i have done manhattan sc guide, manhattan CR guide. SC grail, CR Bible.OG 10 nd OG13. Currently iam doing KAPLAN 800. My other test scores are KAPTEST 670 average. PR 650 average.
My quant is not so gud. I am also getting some trouble with CR nd RC. in quant especially PRobability. Numbers DS. nd permutations nd combinations are the weakest

Posted from my mobile device

First, I'd encourage you to linger in these forums more often. It adds a lot of value and you gain a wealth of knowledge.

Fortunately or unfortunately CR and RC are two areas where (only) practice can take you a long way. You need to solve tons of problems and develop an ear for the GMAT problems. Once you are through with 100-200 official CR problems you will start to observe patterns in the questions. Almost always there are opp. answer choices, out of scope choices, too narrow answers etc. CR Bible is a pretty decent book, and if you are through with the concepts, I'd encourage you to practice through the GC forum (do use tags).
Try to pre-think the answers - helps immensely. If you are not familiar with the concept, please search through posts on GC (or google) and you will find a lot of good videos. (there was one session held by e-gmat recently on this)

RC is the most boring section of the test for the majority of the test takers. The only way to excel in it is to read GMAT-like material (economist) in your free time and do lots of passages. Break the questions into the following:
according to the passage - answer is in the passage
infer/suggest - answer is not explicitly stated in the passage
try to pre-think the main point of the passage.

for SC: you might also want to consider Aristotle grail.

Quant:

you haven't mentioned any material, so I assume you haven't done a very structured study yet.
Manhattan guides would do for the starters.

practice tons and tons of questions from these forums. Reach out to fellow members and learn as much as you can from bunuel's posts.
start with NS, algebra, geometry and co-ordinate. Do basic P&C and probability questions - don't jump the gun there. Also, try to do 15-20 questions at a stretch - helps you grasp the topic and builds stamina.

you may put kaplan 800 on hold for now. You would do well to master 650-750 level questions for now.

Whatever you choose to do, you should be thorough with the OGs, supplements and the question pack.

good luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
sherrysahi wrote:
Target score is 680 +.
nd i have done manhattan sc guide, manhattan CR guide. SC grail, CR Bible.OG 10 nd OG13. Currently iam doing KAPLAN 800. My other test scores are KAPTEST 670 average. PR 650 average.
My quant is not so gud. I am also getting some trouble with CR nd RC. in quant especially PRobability. Numbers DS. nd permutations nd combinations are the weakest

You have just listed the name of a couple of books, including ours,but you haven't mentioned how did you use these books. One important thing to remember is that using more and more number of books is not going to help unless you use them the "right way". Think of it this way: Two men work out in the gym. One man complains that he does the same exercises and the same number of reps in each exercise as the other man, yet he's unable to lose any flab while the other man uses the same machines, does the same exercises yet he is able to build muscles.
Think about why the second person is able to build muscles while the first person isn't inspite of having the same "resources"? The simple reason is that the second person was doing the exercises the right way, was taking the right amount of break in between the exercises, was taking the right nutrition and above all understood the important of giving his body sufficient rest after coming back home.

So what parallel can you draw from this analogy for the GMAT ? That you need to study the right way(Refer to the The Right and The Wrong Way to Study for the GMAT in our free ebook The GMAT Demystified). Do you analyze each question well ? Do you understand why you got a question wrong ? Do you log your mistakes, especially in SC, in an error log ? Do you try to solve a Math question through alternate ways ? Do you know how to apply a concept-or is it that you just know the theory inside out ?
There are some of the points you need to think about and once you have figured out the answers to these questions, your scores will automatically start improving.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts