Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Re: Not giving up ! Please help with strategies [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Well,
For the verbal, you need to brush up your concept. Seems your ear was more trustable before the exam and your studies than after the exam (in your second try) after your studies.
I can say get the Manhattan SC correction, religiously read the book, digest its concepts, do all the practice at the end of the each chapter so you mind could be trained to see the invisible links between words and clauses in a sentence. Then supplement your studies with a couple of the videos on topics (of SC) that you have difficulty from videos only by Ron.
For the CR, get the powerscore and the same as Manhattan SC digest the book, do the brush up exercises and review very thoroughly the types of the questions.
RC is the toughest part that i myself am trying to perfect. I think practicing and knowing the nature of the question by heart really helps.
For all the above you need to practice a lot from only and i repeat only official materials. If you want, and have time, supplement your verbal practice for CR and RC with LSAT passages.
Do you not give up, as i've not given up. Trust yourself you can get the score you want.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
I feel your pain- I also scored worse the second time I sat for the exam. I'm planning on taking it again and can give you the following recommendations. Please remember we all learn differently and my focus has been tailored to my own strengths and weaknesses, so I can only speak to what has helped me thus far:

1. Stay active on this forum. Reading the study tips and advice on this forum has helped keep me motivated through my year-long study process. There's some great stuff on here and reading success stories will keep you excited.

2. Macro: I've always had a hard time with finishing the sections on time. Recently, though, I've switched to hiding the timer on the test. This little tweak has helped me stay focused and not stress so much on timed sets. I think it also saves quite a bit of time in the long run. I would give this strategy a try on both quant and verbal.

3. Quant: ManhattanPrep's quant study guides are pretty useful; however, I feel like they can only take you so far (mid-high 40s). If I got a question wrong in the OG I would read the explanations by the forum's quant experts. They usually provide great answers. Magoosh's online program is pretty useful for quant, too. They're questions are a little more complex, like Manhattan's, and they provide quality video explanations for each question.

4. Verbal: I'm a native speaker, but this has been my big weakness. ManhattanPrep's study guides are useful, but I found that I got bogged down on little details, rules, etc. A big shift in my progress came when I took the blinders off (mainly for SC). Check out the Thursday's with Ron study sessions on youtube. His strategy has REALLY helped my SC score (basically, spend 80% of the time reading the original sentence and focus on meaning and sentence structure). Prethinking has helped me on CR (feel free to message me if I'm using too much jargon). Lastly, remember to focus on OG problems or GMATPrep problems. I've found the quality of questions from other sources to be less like the verbal questions on the actual test.

Hope this helps and stick with it!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts