GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2016, 19:33
deal was or deal were?
I was under the impression that deal is singular in this particular context
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2016, 00:39
KbSharma wrote:
deal was or deal were?
I was under the impression that deal is singular in this particular context

Hi! Indeed, deal is singular, but in the context that it is used here, the usage comes under hypothetical subjunctive.

In hypothetical subjunctive, the appropriate verb used is were, irrespective of whether the subject is singular or plural.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses subjunctive, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2016, 13:55
Ashokshiva wrote:
VeritasPrepDennis wrote:
Ashokshiva wrote:
Why is option B, not correct?

Pl. explain ]

thanks

Answer choice B is not correct because of the phrase "for buying". This portion is uses an incorrect idiom. "To buy" is the correct phrase.

Thanks for your explanation :) .

''if the deal were'' is used in option A while ''if the deal was'' is used in B.

how to i select between were & was in this qn?

pl. explain.

thanks

Ashokshiva wrote:
Why is option B, not correct?

Pl. explain ]

thanks

If we want to describe a hypothetical event in future within an IF clause, we are required to use a hypothetical subjunctive case. The hypothetical subjunctive case takes a simple past form (although the event would or would not occur in the future). Only for the verb to be the hypothetical subjunctive becomes "were" instead of "was".

If I became the king, I would eradicate poverty. (verb: to become - hypothetical subjunctive used for an unlikely future event. form: simple past)
If I were the king, I would eradicate poverty. (verb: to be - hypothetical subjunctive used for an unlikely future event. form: simple past - but instead of "was","were" is used.)

Option B is incorrect, because simple past is used rather than a hypothetical subjunctive to indicate a hypothetical event.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 05:36
Is it ok to use "that" to refer to "merger agreement" after "is signed"?? Agree all other options are wrong but needed clarification on this...(3 options changes the usage using with and ing form...)

Kudos-----> If my post was Helpful

1 KUDOS received
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 06:31
VyshakhR1995 wrote:
Is it ok to use "that" to refer to "merger agreement" after "is signed"?? Agree all other options are wrong but needed clarification on this...(3 options changes the usage using with and ing form...)

THAT intend to refer to a noun i.e. merger agreement. Now which sentence would you prefer to read/write from the following? of course the one that confuses you less and is more readable.

Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded is signed.

BOTH of these are CORRECT. It is about style here.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 07:12
HKD1710 wrote:
VyshakhR1995 wrote:

THAT intend to refer to a noun i.e. merger agreement. Now which sentence would you prefer to read/write from the following? of course the one that confuses you less and is more readable.

Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded is signed.

can u generalize the cases were i cant eliminate a relative clause modifier although its not close to noun....i have read 3 cases...but this falls into none of those

Kudos-----> If my post was Helpful

V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 07:43
VyshakhR1995 wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
VyshakhR1995 wrote:

can u generalize the cases were i cant eliminate a relative clause modifier although its not close to noun....i have read 3 cases...but this falls into none of those

You can always remove a relative clause or any modifier to correctly map the subject and verb. But if you talk about the meaning then always check whether the modifier is essential or non-essential.

If not clear, would you please elaborate your question a little bit more?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

BSchool Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE: Design (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 21:17
Is the use of 'was' correct here? Can you please explain with examples the 'if X was/were' split?

12345aBcDeFgHiJkLmNoPqRsTuVwXyZ67890

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 05:32
DigitsnLetters wrote:
Is the use of 'was' correct here? Can you please explain with examples the 'if X was/were' split?

There are certain standard tense rules for IF.. THEN... constructions - the one relevant here is as follows:

An unlikely future event:
IF [hypothetical subjunctive], THEN [conditional].

IF I went to the professor, I would be ready with an answer.

The above sentence implies that most likely I will not go to the professor. But in case I go, I will be ready with an answer.

The verb "went" is in hypothetical subjunctive case (hypothetical subjunctive is always in simple past).
The verb "would be" is conditional.

Exception in hypothetical subjunctive: When the verb "to be" is used in hypothetical sunjunctive, "were" is used instead of "was".

If I was in power, I would first deal with corruption.... wrong
If I were in power, I would first deal with corruption... right
Re: Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy   [#permalink] 04 May 2017, 05:32

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap