Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [70]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [15]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [2]
Send PM
Re: Not only did Christopher Columbus refuse to accept the conventional wi [#permalink]
Kudos
May I assume that if all answer choices are wrong, I have to choose the least wrong one?

the question is whther this is idiom may appear in GMAT or it is just a MGMAT's trick?

thanks

Originally posted by PTK on 08 Aug 2010, 23:10.
Last edited by PTK on 09 Aug 2010, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Re: Not only did Christopher Columbus refuse to accept the conventional wi [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Tailspin ! I don't know what should be done if GMAT answer itself breaks any idiom. Idioms are not suppose to be broken.
not only.....but ------> is still workable. D gets as far as this.
not only ...... (no but) ----> is unacceptable. ---> A completely breaks the idiom.

But breaking idioms is like breaking the rules of English. I could as well write dictionary of my own than follow Oxford then.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Business Consulting
 Q44  V25 GMAT 2: 600  Q50  V22
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
As per the MGMAT SC guide..
1. Not only but also
2. Not only, but also
3. Not only, but..

All are acceptable..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Tommy

In the example you gave - E is wrong because of repetition? Correct?

thanks

TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I see you complaining about the MGMAT guidelines. How dare you! : )

But seriously, this is NOT a definite idiom. You do NOT have to say "but also" when you say "not only". If you had it correct, it would have been preferable to this, but it's not a hard and fast rule. In fact, GMATPrep (the test that GMAT gives out) has featured a question that uses this variation on the idiom, which is how we KNOW it is not hard and fast:

By pressing a tiny amount of nitrogen between two diamonds to a pressure of 25 milliion pounds per square inch, scientists not only were able to transform the gas into a solid, but they also created a semiconductor similar to silicon

A. not only were able to transform the gas into a solid, but they also created
B. not only were able to transform the gas into a solid but also creating
C. were able not only to transform the gas into a solid but to create
D. were able not only to transform the gas into a solid but also creating
E. were able not only to transform the gas into a solid but they were also able to create

The correct answer is C, which uses "not only...but". This is another legit way to phrase it as is:

Not only X, but Y, too.

Not only do I want X, but so does Y.

Hope that helps!

-t
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Send PM
nusmavrik wrote:
Tommy

In the example you gave - E is wrong because of repetition? Correct?

thanks

no, in E " a solid but they were also" - but also is interrupted by they were , but the idiom must be solid.
Am I right Tommy?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools:UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
Send PM
Kudos
mrinal2100 wrote:
Not only did Christopher Columbus refuse to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, he also pressed relentlessly for royal support for his westward voyage to Asia, finally receiving approval and financing from King Ferdinand of Spain in 1492 after several rejections.

a) Not only did Christopher Columbus refuse to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, he also pressed relentlessly for royal support for his westward voyage to Asia, finally receiving
'not only..also (no but)...' Incorrect idiom...
b) Not only did Christopher Columbus refuse to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, also pressing relentlessly for royal support for his westward voyage to Asia; he finally received
Same as A.
C) Christopher Columbus not only refused to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, but he pressed relentlessly for royal support for his westward voyage to Asia, and finally receiving
Two errors here ... first one same as A/B (not only...also)
Second one:

The second part of the sentence introduces an independent clause (thanks to COMMA AND)...but the independent clause has no verb...

d)Christopher Columbus not only refused to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat but pressed relentlessly for royal support for his westward voyage to Asia, finally receiving
'not only...but'....correct idiom... clauses correctly formed...

e) Not only refusing to accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat but pressing relentlessly for royal support for his westward voyage to Asia, Christopher Columbus, finally receiving
This clause has no verb

"Not only...but" is the idiom used in this case...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
I struggled with this one on the MGMAT practice test and still don't like the answer. Isn't D a run-on?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
No D is not a run on; neither a punctuation nor a conjunction is missing.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
the correct forms of the idioms:
not only X but also Y
not only X but Y
X and Y should be parallel. only answer choice D maintains the parallelism.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 990
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35 (Online)
GRE 1: Q159 V151

GRE 2: Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Kudos
Hey all,

Clearly the answer choices can be shortlisted to Option A & Option D. There is one subtle mistake in option A. Look at the two verbs : 'Refuse' & 'Pressed'. The tenses differ and breaks the parallelism and changes the meaning of the sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Hi daagh

could you help me out on this one ?
I narrowed the Answer Choices down to A and D. I wonder if A is wrong because it is a run one. Am I correct to say that ?

Hope to hear from you!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM