It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 02:26

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components......

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

Re: Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components, a major factor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 23:06
mikemcgarry wrote:
saharshbagaria wrote:
Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components, a major factor in the cost structure of an airline ,have risen and will continue to rise , the company management was pessimistic about their outlook for upcoming quarter .

A. have risen and will continue to rise , the company management was pessimistic about their

B. have risen and will continue to rise , the company management was pessimistic about the

C. will continue to rise , the company management was pessimistic about the

D. has risen and will continue to rise , the company management was pessimistic about their

E. will continue to rise , the company management was pessimistic about their

Dear saharshbagaria,
My friend, I don't know that you should write your own questions yet. Do you realize all the spacing mistakes you made with your punctuation? Please master the subtleties of spacing and punctuation before your compose your application essay, because these mistakes simply telegraph a lack of familiarity with the language, and cast doubt on otherwise well-spoken English.

Even leaving those aside, this is not a very GMAT-like question. There are aspect that are good --- certainly, the SVA error, singular subject followed by plural nouns in the modifier --- that's good. The use of the plural pronoun for the collective singular "company management" --- that is a typical GMAT SC error, a very good feature of this sentence. I assume you also were thinking that "has risen and will continue to rise" was wrong because it was redundant, and I would dispute this. Yes, technically, logically, "will continue to rise" implies a rise in the past. Nevertheless, "has risen and will continue to rise" is a rhetorically acceptable way to underscore the ongoing nature of the increase. That would be very natural in colloquial English and in news writing. Finally, I'm not sure that "noting" is the very best verb in this context. This raise the subtle question of context: in what context is the sentence spoken or written, and the speaker has what kind of access to the decisions of the airline? If this is, say, summary of a press release, in which the airline mentioned the rise in prices, then a better verb would be "citing." "Noting" is more the action of an individual speaker, and less a corporate action.

It's very hard to write SC practice questions that, in every way, adhere to the very high standards of the GMAT.

I hope all this helps.
Mike :-)

Mike,
a little help. when i first came across this question, i was awestruck with the "has risen and will continue to rise" expression because i thought that this expression is an absolutely appropriate one. after reading your post, i am assuming that the real GMAT will not test something like this. :)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

1 KUDOS received
Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [1], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components...... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 03:10
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [1], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Re: Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 15:03
My take on the problem:

Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components, a major factor in the cost structure of an airline, have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their outlook for the upcoming quarter.

A) have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their
B) have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the
C) will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the
D) has risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their
E) will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their

*Since "price" is the subject for the first phrase (and "price" = singular), "have risen" = incorrect (as it is plural).
- Eliminate A & B

*"Their outlook" = incorrect. "outlook" cannot be possessed -- "the outlook" is superior.
- Eliminate D & E

Answer is C.

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 1

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8339 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)
Re: Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 02:28
Top Contributor
Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components, a major factor in the cost structure of an airline, have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their outlook for the upcoming quarter.

A) have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their
B) have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the
C) will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the
D) has risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their
E) will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their

Notwithstanding other errors, company 'management' is singular and therefore, its pronoun cannot be 'their'. That is the reason we can dislodge A, D, and E.

In B, 'have risen and will continue' is redundant.

C remains.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8339 [0], given: 366

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 208

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 05:02
thefibonacci wrote:
Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components, a major factor in the cost structure of
an airline, have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic
about their
outlook for the upcoming quarter.
• have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their
• have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the
• will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the
• has risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their
• will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their

Please explain your answers. Tx.

I went with C.
present perfect is not needed, as we have "continue" to rise in the present simple verb.
A/B/D are out right away.
A, D and E have another mistake - the company management was pessimistic about THEIR - who is their? what is the antecedent for this pronoun?
as we can see, only C is left...

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 208

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 06:37
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1410

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 19:29
Vyshak, hazelnut
do you know what the source of this question?
Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1410

Re: Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components......   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2017, 19:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components......

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap