Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Pronounsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V28
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 159
Send PM
Re: November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light truck [#permalink]
November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light trucks,but sales this past November, even when compared with sales in previous Novembers, accounted for a remarkably large share of total vehicle sales.

1St IC
November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light trucks,but sales this past November ------- "November" is subject and "is" is helping verb which is sufficient to make it Independent clause
but what is the subject and verb of second clause after "Comma but"-----------------------isn't it just a fragment.

Please help me out with this query
egmat
ChrisLele AjiteshArun
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Re: November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light truck [#permalink]
November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light trucks, but sales this past November, even when compared with sales in previous Novembers, accounted for a remarkably large share of total vehicle sales.

(A) but sales this past November, even when compared with sales in previous Novembers,
Looks good.

(B) but even when it is compared with previous Novembers, this past November’s sales
Pronoun error 'it'

(C) but even when they are compared with previous Novembers, sales of light trucks this past November
Pronoun error 'they'

(D) so that compared with previous Novembers, sales of light trucks this past November
Wrong comparison 'so that'

(E) so that this past November’s sales, even compared with previous Novembers’ sales,
Similar to D. Wrong comparison.

Answer: A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Appreciation keeps me motivated. So don’t shy away.
November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light trucks,
This is an independent clause SV pair – November is
but sales this past November, even when compared with sales in previous Novembers, accounted for a remarkably large share of total vehicle sales.
This is an independent clause joined by the coordinating conjunction but. SV pair is sales accounted.

(A) but sales this past November, even when compared with sales in previous Novembers,
In this choice sales is compared to sales. Lets keep it.

(B) but even when it is compared with previous Novembers, this past November’s sales
The it somehow pops out at me and says don’t choose me as the correct choice. The referent of it appears far away in the end in this choice which is November but November is possessive. Hence wrong.

(C) but even when they are compared with previous Novembers, sales of light trucks this past November
In this choice sales is compared with previous Novembers. This is incorrect.

(D) so that compared with previous Novembers, sales of light trucks this past November
In this choice sales is compared with previous Novembers. This is incorrect.

(E) so that this past November’s sales, even compared with previous Novembers’ sales,
This choice has no obvious errors. The question is do you want but…., even when OR so that… even…
I choose Option A since it makes more sense meaning wise. So that is used to show purpose and I don’t see one here.

Answer is A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
manlog wrote:
Regarding @e-gmat:
I've also got to the trap. E-gmat states that "when compared/contrasted to" and also "as contrasted with" is incorrect. Not a single word about "when compared with". However, they state not to used this word with as/with, so one might imply that "when compared with" is incorrect, which is not true, as we see in this example. Be diligent!

What about when contrasted with? Is it right or wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
In question E, is "so that this past November’s sales" right ?

For me it should be: these past November's sales". As "these" antecedent is "November's sales" which is plural.

If you know, can you tell me whether it is right / wrong and why, please.

Thanks

GMATNinja wrote:
As has been our habit with the QOTDs lately, this question also appeared in a recent YouTube webinar on comparisons.

Quote:

On these comparison questions, you always want to ask yourself: what, exactly, is the heart of the comparison? In this case, look at the stuff that surrounds the phrase “when compared with”: “sales this past November, even when compared with sales in previous Novembers…” Hm, that looks pretty good.

Not much else going on here besides the comparison, so let’s keep (A) for now.

Quote:

The word “it” is the first thing that jumps out at me in (B), so we need to look for a nice, singular noun that “it” could refer back to. The only thing that could possibly make sense is for “it” to refer to “this November”, but that’s not an option, because of the structure of the phrase after the comma: “this past November’s sales” is plural, and “November’s” is possessive.

So “it” can’t refer to “this November” since that phrase is possessive, and “it” can’t refer to “this November’s sales” because “sales” is plural. For that reason, (B) is out.

And for what it’s worth: even if you do assume that “it” somehow refers to “this past November”, the sentence still wouldn’t be great. We’d have “…even when [this past November] is compared with previous Novembers, this past November’s sales…” That’s weird: it would be sooooooo much more direct to just compare the sales to each other, instead of comparing the “Novembers”, and then restarting the sentence about the sales.

Quote:

Once again, the pronoun “they” should jump off the page at us. “They” seems to refer to “sales of light trucks”, and that gives us “…even when [sales of light trucks] are compared with previous Novembers…” This literally compares sales to months. That’s nonsense. Let’s ditch (C).

Quote:

If we look at (D) very strictly and literally, the comparison still doesn’t make sense. “…compared with previous Novembers, sales of light trucks this past November…” We can’t compare “previous Novembers” to “sales of light trucks.” So (D) is gone, too.

Quote:

In a vacuum, I guess the comparison is OK here: “this past November’s sales” are compared with “previous Novembers’ sales.” I can live with that.

But let’s talk about “so that.” The phrase “so that” suggests some sort of purpose, or at least expresses a rationale for accomplishing something. You could say “I eat burritos so that I will someday weigh as much as an aircraft carrier” or “Domenico posts regularly on GMAT Club so that other people can kick ass on this ridiculous exam.” In both cases, a purpose or effect follows the phrase “so that.”

But there’s no good reason to use “so that” in this particular sentence: “November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light trucks, so that this past November’s sales… accounted for a remarkably large share of total vehicle sales.” That makes no sense at all, because the second phrase, “this past November’s sales… accounted for a remarkably large share…” is definitely NOT the purpose or effect of the first phrase, “November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light trucks.”

For that reason, we can ditch (E), and we’re left with (A).
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Naptiste wrote:
In question E, is "so that this past November’s sales" right ?

For me it should be: these past November's sales". As "these" antecedent is "November's sales" which is plural.

If you know, can you tell me whether it is right / wrong and why, please.

Thanks

GMATNinja wrote:
As has been our habit with the QOTDs lately, this question also appeared in a recent YouTube webinar on comparisons.

Quote:

On these comparison questions, you always want to ask yourself: what, exactly, is the heart of the comparison? In this case, look at the stuff that surrounds the phrase “when compared with”: “sales this past November, even when compared with sales in previous Novembers…” Hm, that looks pretty good.

Not much else going on here besides the comparison, so let’s keep (A) for now.

Quote:

The word “it” is the first thing that jumps out at me in (B), so we need to look for a nice, singular noun that “it” could refer back to. The only thing that could possibly make sense is for “it” to refer to “this November”, but that’s not an option, because of the structure of the phrase after the comma: “this past November’s sales” is plural, and “November’s” is possessive.

So “it” can’t refer to “this November” since that phrase is possessive, and “it” can’t refer to “this November’s sales” because “sales” is plural. For that reason, (B) is out.

And for what it’s worth: even if you do assume that “it” somehow refers to “this past November”, the sentence still wouldn’t be great. We’d have “…even when [this past November] is compared with previous Novembers, this past November’s sales…” That’s weird: it would be sooooooo much more direct to just compare the sales to each other, instead of comparing the “Novembers”, and then restarting the sentence about the sales.

Quote:

Once again, the pronoun “they” should jump off the page at us. “They” seems to refer to “sales of light trucks”, and that gives us “…even when [sales of light trucks] are compared with previous Novembers…” This literally compares sales to months. That’s nonsense. Let’s ditch (C).

Quote:

If we look at (D) very strictly and literally, the comparison still doesn’t make sense. “…compared with previous Novembers, sales of light trucks this past November…” We can’t compare “previous Novembers” to “sales of light trucks.” So (D) is gone, too.

Quote:

In a vacuum, I guess the comparison is OK here: “this past November’s sales” are compared with “previous Novembers’ sales.” I can live with that.

But let’s talk about “so that.” The phrase “so that” suggests some sort of purpose, or at least expresses a rationale for accomplishing something. You could say “I eat burritos so that I will someday weigh as much as an aircraft carrier” or “Domenico posts regularly on GMAT Club so that other people can kick ass on this ridiculous exam.” In both cases, a purpose or effect follows the phrase “so that.”

But there’s no good reason to use “so that” in this particular sentence: “November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light trucks, so that this past November’s sales… accounted for a remarkably large share of total vehicle sales.” That makes no sense at all, because the second phrase, “this past November’s sales… accounted for a remarkably large share…” is definitely NOT the purpose or effect of the first phrase, “November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light trucks.”

For that reason, we can ditch (E), and we’re left with (A).

Hello Naptiste,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe that we can help resolve your doubt.

Here, the referent of "this" is not "sales"; it is "past November". To understand this better, please consider the following sentence - "I am looking for this man's dogs." In this sentence, "this" refers to "man" rather than to "dogs", as it is meant to signify which specific man the sentence refers to.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 270
Send PM
trap

November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light trucks, but sales this past November, even when compared with sales in previous Novembers, accounted for a remarkably large share of total vehicle sales.

in previous Novembers
this past November
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM

Test: Parallelism, Comparison
- Correct: sales this past November - sales in previous Novembers -> parallel

- November - this past N's sales -> not parallel

- sales...-previous Novembers -> not parallel
-> changed meaning

-> changed meaning
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Smitc007 wrote:
November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light trucks,but sales this past November, even when compared with sales in previous Novembers, accounted for a remarkably large share of total vehicle sales.

1St IC
November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light trucks,but sales this past November ------- "November" is subject and "is" is helping verb which is sufficient to make it Independent clause
but what is the subject and verb of second clause after "Comma but"-----------------------isn't it just a fragment.

Please help me out with this query
egmat
ChrisLele AjiteshArun
Hi Smitc007,

There are two subject-verb pairs there (around the word but):

November (←sub) is (←verb) X,
but
sales (←sub) accounted for (←verb) Y.

Hi AjiteshArun

I guess in 2nd IC (, but......), "sales" is a verb, "this past November" is a subject, and accounted is an ed modifier, modifying sales.
I have framed the sentence like below:

this past November sales accounted for a remarkably large share of total vehicle sales.

Please help me where I am lacking in logic.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM

(A) but sales this past November, even when compared with sales in previous Novembers,-Correct
No errors
(B) but even when it is compared with previous Novembers, this past November’s sales-incorrect
'It' has no singular antecedent & it is compared with Novembers

(C) but even when they are compared with previous Novembers, sales of light trucks this past November-incorrect
'they' has ambiguous antecedent & compared with Novembers
(D) so that compared with previous Novembers, sales of light trucks this past November-incorrect
'so that' is wrong in this context
(E) so that this past November’s sales, even compared with previous Novembers’ sales,-incorrect
Same as D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
egmat - How 'When compared with ' is OK over here?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts