Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8530 [20]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [20]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5419 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Re: Now that so much data travels via light—i.e., is carried in glass fibe [#permalink]
noboru,

I dont think it is question on ||sm. I think the main concern is on style and correctness.
One goal....is to develop is correct. I prefer to+infinitive to verb+ing. Moreover, goal/hopes donot come with such noun phrases.

Plug-in C:
Now that so much data travels via light—i.e., is carried in glass fibers rather than by electrical current—one goal of semiconductor research is the development of a silicon chip that has the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals directly, a development maybe one day leading to smaller, faster semiconductors.

In A, can is better than the capability of in C.

noboru wrote:
Now that so much data travels via light—i.e., is carried in glass fibers rather than by electrical current—one goal of semiconductor research is to develop a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, a development that mav one day lead to smaller, faster semiconductors.

A. to develop a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, a
development that may one day lead
B. to develop a silicon chip with the capability of transmitting and receiving light
signals directly, which may one day lead
C. the development of a silicon chip that has the capability of transmitting and
receiving light signals directly, a development maybe one day leading
D. developing a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, which
may one day lead
E. developing a silicon chip with the ability to transmit and receive light signals
directly, with this development maybe one day leading

The issue I have here is that in A (OA), there is no || between one goal is to develop. Because of that I chose C, although A sounds much better.
Could anybody clarify?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: *700* Now that so much data travels via light [#permalink]
Now that so much data travels via light—i.e., is carried in glass fibers rather than by electrical current—one goal of semiconductor research is to develop a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, a development that may one day lead to smaller, faster semiconductors.

A. to develop a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, a development that may one day lead -> A good construction, Infinitve to express intent and Noun + Noun Modifier structure which is used to modify the complete goal to develop a silicon chip.

B. to develop a silicon chip with the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals directly, which may one day lead -> which is a relative pronoun and cannot modify a clause.

C. the development of a silicon chip that has the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals directly, a development maybe one day leading
Instead of using infinitive, the goal is development (a noun phrase) that makes the sentence verbose.

D. developing a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, which may one day lead -> Same issue as B) and gerund (developing) doesn't show the intent.

E. developing a silicon chip with the ability to transmit and receive light signals directly, with this development maybe one day leading -> Gerund construction and with makes it as adverbial modifier and it modifies the verb of the previous clause which doesn't make sense.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: *700* Now that so much data travels via light [#permalink]
Kudos
A. to develop a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, a development that may one day lead
“to+verb” is used to show purpose
Noun+noun modifier clearly modifies “silicon chip”.
The sentence is correct as it is.

B. to develop a silicon chip with the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals directly, which may one day lead
capability of… is wordy. “which may..” modifies the closest noun “signals”, and is incorrect.

C. the development of a silicon chip that has the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals directly, a development maybe one day leading
the goal is to develop, not the development
This choice introduces a modifier error.

D. developing a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, which may one day lead
This choice introduces a new error. Verb “is” is followed by “-ing” form. This leads to ambiguity. To show meaning – “to+verb” must be used. Which modifies signals.

E. developing a silicon chip with the ability to transmit and receive light signals directly, with this development maybe one day leading
Same error as in D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [1]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Now that so much data travels via light—i.e., is carried in glass fibe [#permalink]
Kudos
Simplify sentences.

One goal is...
(A) to develop a chip that can do x & y, a development that may lead to z

(B) to develop a chip with the capability of doing x & y, which may lead to z

(C) the development of a chip that has the capability of doing x & y, a development maybe leading to z

(D) developing a chip that can do x & y, which may lead to z

(E) developing a chip with the ability to do x and y, with this development maybe leading to z

Note that the end of the sentence is a modifier. What does it target? what may lead to faster semiconductors? There is no single noun, so we cannot use a noun modifier. When the GMAT wants to refer to something other than the near noun or noun phrase, it uses an -ing or a noun to begin the modifier. In this case, "a development..." is the right way to start the modifier. We can eliminate B, D and E.

C is very inefficient when compared to A. "a chip that can transmit" is more concise than "a chip with the capability of transmitting".

Furthermore, C uses the awkward construct "a development maybe leading to ..." whereas A states "a development that may lead to...". A is the best answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Hi I thought the when you have a noun + to be verb, you must have a noun/adjective at an end. A goal cannot be a verb. Noun + to be + noun/adjective.

Is this a debatable OA since A incorrectly lists a goal as a verb?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
kichen wrote

Quote:
Hi I thought the when you have a noun + to be verb, you must have a noun/adjective at an end. A goal cannot be a verb. Noun + to be + noun/adjective.

Is this a debatable OA since A incorrectly lists a goal as a verb?

Sorry, I could not get at what the poster means by the quote, especially what is the noun+ to be verb in A, and where a goal is depicted as a verb. Could he please articulate his point more explicitly by stating the very sentence?

Thanks and back to the thread

Now that so much data travels via light—i.e., is carried in glass fibers rather than by electrical current—one goal of semiconductor research is to develop a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, a development that may one day lead to smaller, faster semiconductors.

The purpose of a goal is best expressed in the infinitive. Any other diction is stylistically incorrect

A. to develop a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, a development that may one day lead -- correct choice

B. to develop a silicon chip with the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals directly, which may one day lead

Which has no reference. It cannot point to the signals; nor can it refer to the action of transmitting and receiving.

C. the development of a silicon chip that has the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals directly, a development maybe one day leading -

1. A development may be incidental, coincidental, accidental, declarative, or indicative but not intentional the development is inferior to 'to develop'.

2. The word 'maybe' is superfluous.

D. developing a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, which may one-day lead--

1. Developing is wrong.
2., which is wrong.

E. developing a silicon chip with the ability to transmit and receive light signals directly, with this development maybe one day leading

1. Developing is wrong
2. Sentence structure is very clumsy.

However, in the hall, it might be worthwhile to focus on the infinitive of purpose and hit three mangoes with one stone namely C, D, and E. Then it becomes easier to handle A and B in the right perspective.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
my hobby is reading english books.

is this correct ? when can we use "doing" in place of 'to do'. pls explain more
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
egmat wrote:

B. to develop a silicon chip with the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals directly, which may one day lead: Incorrect.
i. Using “with the capability” with a non-living object is inappropriate. Consider these sentences:
a. Tom can jump real high. OR Tom has the capability to jump real high. (Both are correct.)
b. This paper can absorb a lot of water. (Not appropriate but in spoken English we hardly pay heed to such things and thus we assume that such expressions are fine in writing as well. However, this is not the case.).
c. This paper has the capability to hold a lot of water. (correct)
So in this choice, use of “with the capability” with non-living “a silicon chip” is not proper.
ii. With “the capability” we generally use “to verb” forms. For e.g., John has the capability/ability to move very heavy objects with his left hand. In this sentence “capability of transmitting…” is not idiomatic.
iii. Reference of “which” is not clear. Being a noun modifier, “which” should modify the closest noun. But that will not make sense here because per the context of the sentence, it is the development of the silicon chip that will lead to something. Hence, use of “which” is incorrect.

Regarding iii., could you make the argument that "with the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals directly" is a modifier for "silicon chip", and thus the "which" could refer to "silicon chip" without issues?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Now that so much data travels via lighti.e., is carried in glass fibe [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Now that so much data travels via lighti.e., is carried in glass fibe [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts