It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 18:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nurse: Dr. Roark’s patients tend to require far more time for recupera

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1301 [0], given: 434

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Nurse: Dr. Roark’s patients tend to require far more time for recupera [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 22:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (00:56) correct 18% (01:28) wrong based on 83 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Nurse: Dr. Roark’s patients tend to require far more time for recuperation than the patients of any other surgeon at Oceanside Hospital. Although she is reputed to be quite talented, Dr. Roark is clearly not as skilled as the other surgeons at Oceanside.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the nurse’s argument?

(A) Dr. Roark’s patients tend to require fewer procedures than those of other doctors in the hospital.
(B) The recuperation required after a given surgery can vary significantly based on the skill level of the doctor who performed the surgery .
(C) Dr. Roark has been associated with Oceanside for three years longer than any other surgeon in the hospital.
(D) Operations which require less skill tend to require shorter periods of post-operative recuperation.
(E) Dr. Roark has operated on two other doctors at Oceanside

Source : PowerScore
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1301 [0], given: 434

SC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1186 [0], given: 890

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Nurse: Dr. Roark’s patients tend to require far more time for recupera [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 07:50
Question Type: Weaken

Main Point: Increase in time --> Less skilled
Assumption: Skill level is inversely proportional to time

(A) Dr. Roark’s patients tend to require fewer procedures than those of other doctors in the hospital. - Incorrect. Out of scope. No stated relationship between skill level and number of procedures.

(B) The recuperation required after a given surgery can vary significantly based on the skill level of the doctor who performed the surgery. - Incorrect. Partial scope.

(C) Dr. Roark has been associated with Oceanside for three years longer than any other surgeon in the hospital. - Incorrect. Irrelevant.

(D) Operations which require less skill tend to require shorter periods of post-operative recuperation. - Correct. Skill is directly proportional to time.

(E) Dr. Roark has operated on two other doctors at Oceanside - Incorrect. Irrelevant.

Answer: D

Kudos [?]: 1186 [0], given: 890

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 235

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Nurse: Dr. Roark’s patients tend to require far more time for recupera [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 23:13
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo VeritasPrepKarishma
I initially selected OA as A and want to understand why my reasoning is incorrect?
Conclusion: Dr R is not as skilled as other doctors in O.
Supporting premise as per argument: patients treated by Dr.R take more time to recover than those treated by other doctors.
Goal to prove that Dr. R is as / more skilled than other surgeons.
A: if Dr R's patients take few time to recover (inherent assumption being fewer procedure leads to recovery in shorter period) then I can definitely say that Dr. R is more skilled since procedure are suggested by Dr. R. However one important point about this answer option is it attacks premises. As per premise of arguments, Dr R's patients require more recovery time and as per this option, the recovery time is less. Does it mean it weaken Qs we can not attack premise to break the conclusion?
B: I feel this is also a close contender since if recovery period vary as per skills of doctor, I can not safely conclude that Dr R's skill are not up to mark. Can you elaborate why this is incorrect?
WR, Arpit.

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 235

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17853 [1], given: 235

Re: Nurse: Dr. Roark’s patients tend to require far more time for recupera [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 23:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo VeritasPrepKarishma
I initially selected OA as A and want to understand why my reasoning is incorrect?
Conclusion: Dr R is not as skilled as other doctors in O.
Supporting premise as per argument: patients treated by Dr.R take more time to recover than those treated by other doctors.
Goal to prove that Dr. R is as / more skilled than other surgeons.
A: if Dr R's patients take few time to recover (inherent assumption being fewer procedure leads to recovery in shorter period) then I can definitely say that Dr. R is more skilled since procedure are suggested by Dr. R. However one important point about this answer option is it attacks premises. As per premise of arguments, Dr R's patients require more recovery time and as per this option, the recovery time is less. Does it mean it weaken Qs we can not attack premise to break the conclusion?
B: I feel this is also a close contender since if recovery period vary as per skills of doctor, I can not safely conclude that Dr R's skill are not up to mark. Can you elaborate why this is incorrect?
WR, Arpit.

Premises:
Roark's patients require far more time for recuperation than other surgeons' patients.
She is well reputed.

Conclusion: She is not as skilled as other surgeons.

When I read the first premise, this is what I thought - why would it be so? Perhaps she doesn't do a very clean surgery. Or perhaps she gets the most serious cases.

We need to weaken that she is not skilled.

(A) Dr. Roark’s patients tend to require fewer procedures than those of other doctors in the hospital.
This means that her patients are actually healthier than other patients (they require fewer procedures means they undergo fewer surgeries). It doesn't weaken the conclusion at all; if at all, it strengthens it.

(B) The recuperation required after a given surgery can vary significantly based on the skill level of the doctor who performed the surgery.
This also doesn't weaken the conclusion. Actually, it makes the conclusion more likely. If the skill level actually decides recuperation time and Roark's patients require more time, we could question her skills as a surgeon.

(C) Dr. Roark has been associated with Oceanside for three years longer than any other surgeon in the hospital.
We are talking about the average recuperation time. The years of practice in this hospital needn't have much impact.

(D) Operations which require less skill tend to require shorter periods of post-operative recuperation.
She is reputed to be talented. Hence it is quite possible that she gets the cases which need a lot of still. These cases tend to require longer periods of recuperation. This explains why the longer periods may not be indicative of less skill.

(E) Dr. Roark has operated on two other doctors at Oceanside
Irrelevant to the argument

Answer (D)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17853 [1], given: 235

Re: Nurse: Dr. Roark’s patients tend to require far more time for recupera   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2017, 23:31

Nurse: Dr. Roark’s patients tend to require far more time for recupera

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap