Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Weakenx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Darden '21
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sarjaria84 wrote:
Sarjaria84 wrote:
Quote:
(E) Some of the species that are now farmed extensively were not commonly eaten when they were only available in the wild.

GMATNinja wrote:
We want to know what happens when we start farming a wild species that is already in demand (i.e. in demand before farming starts). (E) only tells us about species that were not in demand before farming started! So this example is not relevant to the wild fish example. (Mmm... fish.)

I hope that helps a bit!

Hi GMATNinja

In my view option 'E' is in a way strengthening the argument, it says,

(E) Some of the species that are now farmed extensively were not commonly eaten when they were only available in the wild.

Some fish species are now being farmed that too extensively, meaning that there is a demand for these farmed fishes which are available in wild as well. This is helping the author's argument which says that farming of fish will ease pressure on the overfisihing of the wild fishes.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my reasoning in as to why this option is slightly supporting the argument.

Thanks
Saurabh

Hi GMATNinjaTwo

Can you please help me with my above query?

Thanks
Saurabh

Take a look at this post for a more thorough discussion of option (E).

One key element at play here is the author's exact conclusion: "The obvious method to ease the pressure on wild fish populations is for people to increase their consumption of farmed fish."

The author isn't arguing that people are likely to eat farmed fish, or that there is a demand to eat farmed fish. Instead, the author is saying that IF people increase their consumption of farmed fish, THEN the pressure on wild fish populations will be eased.

So, people don't have to like eating farmed fish -- what people prefer is irrelevant to the author's conclusion. Regardless of current or past demand for farmed fish, the author's argument would hold -- IF everyone held their noses and ate farmed fish, THEN the pressure on wild populations would be eased.

It's clear that (E) doesn't raise any serious doubts about the author's plan, so it can be safely eliminated.

I hope that helps!
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3 [#permalink]
nightblade354 eakabuah MentorTutoring VeritasKarishma

Am I falling into circular reasoning fallacy with approach mentioned towards the end?

Quote:
Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3 fatty acids in fish help combat many diseases. If everyone took this advice, however, there would not be enough fish in oceans, rivers, and lakes to supply the demand; the oceans are already being overfished. The obvious method to ease the pressure on wild fish populations is for people to increase their consumption of farmed fish.

(As per passage; There is no conclusion, hence no argument is presented.)
Cause:
increase farmed fish (FF) consumption
Effect:
reduce pressure on wild fish (WF) consumption

Quote:
(D) The feed for farmed ocean fish is largely made from small wild-caught fish, including the young of many popular food species.

I could understand that (D) says: If the food itself for FF is WF then WF population is going to be reduced, hence my conclusion that supply for WF shall be sufficient in future shall fall apart.

BUT, what about below situation?
If FF feeds on WF, but people eat more FF then the less FF will CAUSE more WF in oceans and other places.

Sometimes, I cut off wrong choices easily, but spend more time to FIT correct ans to place.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64892 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nycgirl212 wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2016
Practice Question
Question No.:21
Page: 127

Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3 fatty acids in fish help combat many diseases. If everyone took this advice, however, there would not be enough fish in oceans, rivers, and lakes to supply the demand; the oceans are already being overfished. The obvious method to ease the pressure on wild fish populations is for people to increase their consumption of farmed fish.

Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt concerning the prospects for success of the solution proposed above?

(A) Aquaculture, or fish farming, raises more fish in a given volume of water than are generally present in the wild.

(B) Some fish farming, particularly of shrimp and other shellfish, takes places in enclosures in the ocean.

(C) There are large expanses of ocean waters that do not contain enough nutrients to support substantial fish populations.

(D) The feed for farmed ocean fish is largely made from small wild-caught fish, including the young of many popular food species.

Problem: Not enough wild fish in oceans to handle increased consumption.
Plan: People should eat more farmed fish.

We need to weaken the plan. We need to find the option that suggests that the plan may not work.

(A) Aquaculture, or fish farming, raises more fish in a given volume of water than are generally present in the wild.

Good for our plan. We will be able to raise more fish per volume of water so farmed fish should be able to support increased demand.

(B) Some fish farming, particularly of shrimp and other shellfish, takes places in enclosures in the ocean.

Irrelevant.

(C) There are large expanses of ocean waters that do not contain enough nutrients to support substantial fish populations.

We already know that we don't have enough wild fish.

This says that increase in farmed fish will decrease wild fish population especially the young. This puts our plan in question. The wild fish population will suffer a lot if the new generation is wiped. Hence, this weakens our plan. We don't need to establish that the plan will definitely not work. We just need to doubt the plan. So we do not need to consider further "what if" scenarios. More information could have positive or negative impact on the plan - it doesn't matter. We only need to see how this information impacts our plan.

Irrelevant

Answer (D)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
nightblade354 eakabuah MentorTutoring VeritasKarishma

Am I falling into circular reasoning fallacy with approach mentioned towards the end?

Quote:

(As per passage; There is no conclusion, hence no argument is presented.)
Cause:
increase farmed fish (FF) consumption
Effect:
reduce pressure on wild fish (WF) consumption

Quote:

I could understand that (D) says: If the food itself for FF is WF then WF population is going to be reduced, hence my conclusion that supply for WF shall be sufficient in future shall fall apart.

BUT, what about below situation?
If FF feeds on WF, but people eat more FF then the less FF will CAUSE more WF in oceans and other places.

Sometimes, I cut off wrong choices easily, but spend more time to FIT correct ans to place.

Hello, adkikani. I think VeritasKarishma has provided a fine analysis of the question above, so I will not reiterate. Speaking to your approach, any time you find yourself bending over backwards to argue against a reasonable answer, just move on and see whether any other answer touches on the main points and fits better. You do not have to make an on-the-spot determination. In many cases, you will find that you do less work for the correct answer after eliminating obviously incorrect options. The problem with your situation, as you called it above, is that you are not taking into account what is already taken for granted in the passage, that the oceans are already being overfished. So if, to use your reasoning above, [people] eat less FF, we CANNOT say that this action will CAUSE more WF in oceans and other places. People, apparently, are going to eat their fish, one way or another. Whether they eat wild-caught fish directly or indirectly, the problem of overfishing would not have been rectified.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
Conclusion: “The obvious method to ease the pressure on wild fish populations is for people to increase their consumption of farmed fish.”
Prethink: what if they don’t actually consume these farmed fish because it tastes different than that of wild fish? What if they use wild fish to feed farmed fish?

Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt concerning the prospects for success of the solution proposed above?

Strengthener, if anything. This is a plus for why farmed fish is better than wild fish.

Neutral answer – this does nothing. It doesn’t matter WHERE they have the fish farming, so long as they actually take pressure off the wild fish. But this doesn’t shed light on if it’s going to divert wild fish consumption to farmed fish consumption.

Strengthener if anything. This is a reason why you should use wild fish, so more the reason to use farm fishing.

So to have the farmed fish you need to take wild fish? This sounds like a circular cycle that doesn’t produce any results. There’s no reason to raise farmed fish, if you could potentially kill wild fish in equal numbers (maybe even more). Doesn’t necessarily mean this could be the case, but this definitely casts doubt on the potential results of the conclusion. Moreover, this option addresses a key element: “…the young of many popular food species.” This means that a younger generation may be made into feed, so in the long term, the population of ocean fish would really be under pressure. Honestly just glanced over this part of the answer choice, but TY VeritasKarishma

This changes nothing. A subset of fish that weren’t eaten in the wild are not being farmed (and presumably, not eaten now). What about all the other fish? The conclusion is worried about the oceans being overfished for (presumably) the fish that are going to be eaten.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Great explanation! Thanks.
In brief, if the plan is A====>B, we shouldn't doubt on A. What we need is to attack the logic link from A to B.

GMATNinja wrote:
Sarjaria84 wrote:
Sarjaria84 wrote:
Quote:

GMATNinja wrote:
We want to know what happens when we start farming a wild species that is already in demand (i.e. in demand before farming starts). (E) only tells us about species that were not in demand before farming started! So this example is not relevant to the wild fish example. (Mmm... fish.)

I hope that helps a bit!

Hi GMATNinja

In my view option 'E' is in a way strengthening the argument, it says,

Some fish species are now being farmed that too extensively, meaning that there is a demand for these farmed fishes which are available in wild as well. This is helping the author's argument which says that farming of fish will ease pressure on the overfisihing of the wild fishes.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my reasoning in as to why this option is slightly supporting the argument.

Thanks
Saurabh

Hi GMATNinjaTwo

Can you please help me with my above query?

Thanks
Saurabh

Take a look at this post for a more thorough discussion of option (E).

One key element at play here is the author's exact conclusion: "The obvious method to ease the pressure on wild fish populations is for people to increase their consumption of farmed fish."

The author isn't arguing that people are likely to eat farmed fish, or that there is a demand to eat farmed fish. Instead, the author is saying that IF people increase their consumption of farmed fish, THEN the pressure on wild fish populations will be eased.

So, people don't have to like eating farmed fish -- what people prefer is irrelevant to the author's conclusion. Regardless of current or past demand for farmed fish, the author's argument would hold -- IF everyone held their noses and ate farmed fish, THEN the pressure on wild populations would be eased.

It's clear that (E) doesn't raise any serious doubts about the author's plan, so it can be safely eliminated.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
nycgirl212 wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2016
Practice Question
Question No.:21
Page: 127

For Aquaculture feeding of the fish is necessary but if the feed is produced from the ocean's supply of fish, which are already rare or failing to fulfill the supply then the fish farming will be in trouble.
The answer is D.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts