GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 27 Jan 2020, 07:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 07:48
Quote:
(E) Some of the species that are now farmed extensively were not commonly eaten when they were only available in the wild.

GMATNinja wrote:
We want to know what happens when we start farming a wild species that is already in demand (i.e. in demand before farming starts). (E) only tells us about species that were not in demand before farming started! So this example is not relevant to the wild fish example. (Mmm... fish.)

I hope that helps a bit!

Hi GMATNinja

In my view option 'E' is in a way strengthening the argument, it says,

(E) Some of the species that are now farmed extensively were not commonly eaten when they were only available in the wild.

Some fish species are now being farmed that too extensively, meaning that there is a demand for these farmed fishes which are available in wild as well. This is helping the author's argument which says that farming of fish will ease pressure on the overfisihing of the wild fishes.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my reasoning in as to why this option is slightly supporting the argument.

Thanks
Saurabh
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Re: Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 09:55
Sarjaria84 wrote:
Quote:

GMATNinja wrote:
We want to know what happens when we start farming a wild species that is already in demand (i.e. in demand before farming starts). (E) only tells us about species that were not in demand before farming started! So this example is not relevant to the wild fish example. (Mmm... fish.)

I hope that helps a bit!

Hi GMATNinja

Some fish species are now being farmed that too extensively, meaning that there is a demand for these farmed fishes which are available in wild as well. This is helping the author's argument which says that farming of fish will ease pressure on the overfisihing of the wild fishes.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my reasoning in as to why this option is slightly supporting the argument.

Thanks
Saurabh

Hi GMATNinjaTwo

Can you please help me with my above query?

Thanks
Saurabh
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Darden '21
GPA: 4
Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2019, 10:12
nycgirl212 wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2016
Practice Question
Question No.:21
Page: 127

Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3 fatty acids in fish help combat many diseases. If everyone took this advice, however, there would not be enough fish in oceans, rivers, and lakes to supply the demand; the oceans are already being overfished. The obvious method to ease the pressure on wild fish populations is for people to increase their consumption of farmed fish.

Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt concerning the prospects for success of the solution proposed above?

(A) Aquaculture, or fish farming, raises more fish in a given volume of water than are generally present in the wild.

(B) Some fish farming, particularly of shrimp and other shellfish, takes places in enclosures in the ocean.

(C) There are large expanses of ocean waters that do not contain enough nutrients to support substantial fish populations.

(D) The feed for farmed ocean fish is largely made from small wild-caught fish, including the young of many popular food species.

What is required: raises the most serious doubt concerning the prospects for success
In other words, Weaken the argument by attacking the assumption

OA: D
Option D, "The feed for farmed ocean fish is largely made from small wild-caught fish, including the young of many popular food species."
directly hits the conclusion of the argument "The obvious method to ease the pressure on wild fish populations..." thus weakening the argument and breaking it down.

Options A,B,C & E are mostly irrelevant.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Re: Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2020, 09:46
Sarjaria84 wrote:
Sarjaria84 wrote:
Quote:

GMATNinja wrote:

I hope that helps a bit!

Hi GMATNinja

Thanks
Saurabh

Hi GMATNinjaTwo

Can you please help me with my above query?

Thanks
Saurabh

Take a look at this post for a more thorough discussion of option (E).

One key element at play here is the author's exact conclusion: "The obvious method to ease the pressure on wild fish populations is for people to increase their consumption of farmed fish."

The author isn't arguing that people are likely to eat farmed fish, or that there is a demand to eat farmed fish. Instead, the author is saying that IF people increase their consumption of farmed fish, THEN the pressure on wild fish populations will be eased.

So, people don't have to like eating farmed fish -- what people prefer is irrelevant to the author's conclusion. Regardless of current or past demand for farmed fish, the author's argument would hold -- IF everyone held their noses and ate farmed fish, THEN the pressure on wild populations would be eased.

It's clear that (E) doesn't raise any serious doubts about the author's plan, so it can be safely eliminated.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2020, 09:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics