Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: NYC RECRUITING, which schools? please help [#permalink]
cpa2141 wrote:
I'll be able to answer that question better in a few months as I am just about to start my MS Accounting program at Baruch in the fall. I was in a similar situation that you are in now and narrowed my search to Binghamton and Baruch (often known as the two best accounting programs in the state).

In the end, I chose Baruch due to the invaluable access to NYC, especially if you intend on living there upon graduation. Both are at the top of the list of schools that place students with Big 4 firms in NYC, or near the top. Both programs are also very cheap for in-state students, which is another huge plus. See if you can find the names of recent graduates from each respective program and look them up on LinkedIn to check and see where they ended up.

I don't have much info on any of the others programs so I'm not sure how helpful this is to you but good luck!

CPA if you could keep us posted with some information about Baruch, that would be great, I am also very interested in Accounting in the NYC area and wanted to apply to a couple schools! Baruch is ideal but I heard about some issues with the school. Not sure if it will affect the accounting department or not.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
geno5 wrote:
cpa2141 wrote:
I'll be able to answer that question better in a few months as I am just about to start my MS Accounting program at Baruch in the fall. I was in a similar situation that you are in now and narrowed my search to Binghamton and Baruch (often known as the two best accounting programs in the state).

In the end, I chose Baruch due to the invaluable access to NYC, especially if you intend on living there upon graduation. Both are at the top of the list of schools that place students with Big 4 firms in NYC, or near the top. Both programs are also very cheap for in-state students, which is another huge plus. See if you can find the names of recent graduates from each respective program and look them up on LinkedIn to check and see where they ended up.

I don't have much info on any of the others programs so I'm not sure how helpful this is to you but good luck!

CPA if you could keep us posted with some information about Baruch, that would be great, I am also very interested in Accounting in the NYC area and wanted to apply to a couple schools! Baruch is ideal but I heard about some issues with the school. Not sure if it will affect the accounting department or not.

I'll definitely keep checking in as I remember how tough the decision process can be.

From what I understand, the problems had nothing to do with the MS Accounting program. We'll have to wait and see how it affects the school in general, but I don't expect much to change to be honest.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.17
WE:Other (Accounting)
Send PM
https://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh ... zwPQj4eIIP
check this out for the accounting course related cheating and lawsuit faced by Baruch. People hear what they like to hear. Also there is no such access thing, people honestly believe that firms in NYC will prefer students from NYC? Well, a tale tells me that NYC firms do love students from Columbia & Stern. So they will ignore students from Harvard or any other top accounting programs universities? Remember, its NYC. People say its a great city, hence, they also should know there are many great competitors fighting to root in this city. After all, you may sit with a competitor from champaign, wharton or any other more famous college. You think it will be ok because you have few years working experience and a few interns. Guess what? They have too-probably even better than yours. Ending in big 4 is so far still a dream or unfinished task, its not something such as the tomorrow sun that will happen for sure. I dont know anyone of you done any interviews from NYC business schools so far. Mostly the interviewer will ask you such thing as "NYC is a competitive city xxxxx, can you survive here? blablabla" They dont bluff, they just tell the truth.
I am not killing your baruch dream. It is true that being in Baruch will bring students many chances. I have a friend who, actually the most successful graduate I know, hired by Blackrock. Here, I will strongly suggest you to find what fits you well. If you dont have a fancy gmat score(mostly about gmat) and you dont want to try to get one, well, you can achieve an average level and find some fine schools such as baruch. But if you want to survive and success in this city, you are asking for competition. Therefore you have to do whatever will build your background. Top universities, top firms, long WE, and etc. Up to you.
If the situation is you finally getting in Baruch and still wanting a high game, I will suggest you to have a seat in baruch professional club. Dont be an average student in Baruch, they have good clubs. Better achievement in baruch clubs, more chance to have what you expect. Blackrock, Morgan Stanly, JP Morgan Chase...blabla...all the friends I know who are in those firms now ever contributted to the baruch clubs. But those baruch average students, not end so prospectively. So its not you having an MSA, you ultimately ending in Big 4, you still have a lot things to do.
Again, up to you. You have ambition, get the best school as you can. A little less, baruch is a fine option. Dont get worry about the web I post here, it is just a piece of information. It can be a problem in future. But remember the Urbana Champaign admission scandal? Do people still care? No.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Fc733 wrote:
https://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/baruch_was_warned_M4GK32xegO7tzwPQj4eIIP
check this out for the accounting course related cheating and lawsuit faced by Baruch. People hear what they like to hear. Also there is no such access thing, people honestly believe that firms in NYC will prefer students from NYC? Well, a tale tells me that NYC firms do love students from Columbia & Stern. So they will ignore students from Harvard or any other top accounting programs universities? Remember, its NYC. People say its a great city, hence, they also should know there are many great competitors fighting to root in this city. After all, you may sit with a competitor from champaign, wharton or any other more famous college. You think it will be ok because you have few years working experience and a few interns. Guess what? They have too-probably even better than yours. Ending in big 4 is so far still a dream or unfinished task, its not something such as the tomorrow sun that will happen for sure. I dont know anyone of you done any interviews from NYC business schools so far. Mostly the interviewer will ask you such thing as "NYC is a competitive city xxxxx, can you survive here? blablabla" They dont bluff, they just tell the truth.
I am not killing your baruch dream. It is true that being in Baruch will bring students many chances. I have a friend who, actually the most successful graduate I know, hired by Blackrock. Here, I will strongly suggest you to find what fits you well. If you dont have a fancy gmat score(mostly about gmat) and you dont want to try to get one, well, you can achieve an average level and find some fine schools such as baruch. But if you want to survive and success in this city, you are asking for competition. Therefore you have to do whatever will build your background. Top universities, top firms, long WE, and etc. Up to you.
If the situation is you finally getting in Baruch and still wanting a high game, I will suggest you to have a seat in baruch professional club. Dont be an average student in Baruch, they have good clubs. Better achievement in baruch clubs, more chance to have what you expect. Blackrock, Morgan Stanly, JP Morgan Chase...blabla...all the friends I know who are in those firms now ever contributted to the baruch clubs. But those baruch average students, not end so prospectively. So its not you having an MSA, you ultimately ending in Big 4, you still have a lot things to do.
Again, up to you. You have ambition, get the best school as you can. A little less, baruch is a fine option. Dont get worry about the web I post here, it is just a piece of information. It can be a problem in future. But remember the Urbana Champaign admission scandal? Do people still care? No.

Do you have a personal vendetta against Baruch, man?

Your points are definitely all valid, although I personally do not see an incident like this killing the program's name. I see it blowing over just as the Urbana Champaign situation you mentioned. Only time will tell though.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts