Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]
FYI... Latest count is: 282.

It's worth noting that so far they've been on track with last year, and, if that holds up, 140+ admits will be given out over the next week or so. Needless to say, it should get very busy again, very soon.

Tuesday, July 31st of 2007 was d-day last year, where most people who didn't make the cut were waitlisted / dinged. The 29th or the 31st of this year may be our d-day.

Code:
-------------------------
DATE ---- 2007 ----- 2008
6/13 ..... nr ...... 67
6/19 ..... 75 ...... 104
6/27 ..... 108 ..... 143
7/04 ..... 130 ..... 172
7/09 ..... nr ...... 217
7/13 ..... 230 ..... 254
7/22 ..... 262 ..... 282 (as of 7/21)
7/24 ..... 288
7/25 ..... 306
8/03 ..... 420
8/09 ..... 440
8/17 ..... 447
-------------------------
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
bozo190101 wrote:
So I heard back from NYU and they will not process my application until they get my degree. It's frankly frustrating. My earliest shot at getting it is second week of August and the game is over by then. :cry:

It's really disappointing to come this far and then not get it. I'll try but what's the point really.

I'm really sorry to hear that bozo - any shot of getting a family member to get it for you? Can you try using that delivery service website that someone posted and have it rushed?

The fact that they reached out to you and was insistant upon getting your documents must mean good things, does it not? Like if you applied again you would def get in!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Tenore and Tangaroo. I am trying to use my resources to get the degree ASAP. Nothing in India moves very fast. Sad but true!
I just don't understand why it is so difficult for them to give admission contingent on degree receipt.

Anyways if not this time, I'll see you guys next yr. But frankly pushing it by 6-months seems too much. We'll see how things go. :(
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bozo190101 wrote:
Thanks Tenore and Tangaroo. I am trying to use my resources to get the degree ASAP. Nothing in India moves very fast. Sad but true!
I just don't understand why it is so difficult for them to give admission contingent on degree receipt.

Anyways if not this time, I'll see you guys next yr. But frankly pushing it by 6-months seems too much. We'll see how things go. :(

I guess you have to look at it from their point of view… It’s a little bit of a risk that you’ll be able to get the degree in time. When they have to choose between accepting that risk, and taking another applicant, I think they have to go with the less risky option.

I think it’s a little unfair that they notified you so late though. I mean, they can argue that you should have had the materials before applying, but I can see your point of view since other reputable institutions accepted you without. It’s a very tough situation.

I wonder how they'll approach your reapplication, if it comes to that. I don't think they should charge you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tenore wrote:
I guess you have to look at it from their point of view… It’s a little bit of a risk that you’ll be able to get the degree in time. When they have to choose between accepting that risk, and taking another applicant, I think they have to go with the less risky option.

I think it’s a little unfair that they notified you so late though. I mean, they can argue that you should have had the materials before applying, but I can see your point of view since other reputable institutions accepted you without. It’s a very tough situation.

I wonder how they'll approach your reapplication, if it comes to that. I don't think they should charge you.

Yeah, I don't know how to weave a good story for next time. It is really disheartening to even think about that right now. :(
Yeah, I do think they have a point but wish they had notified me before...

well if wishes were horses....

I'll keep you guys posted till the end. All the very best to everyone waiting out there. I hope you all make it. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I don't understand why they are so insistent on the degree, when the applicant has sent them a copy of the transcripts and possibly even the provisional cert(I trust Bozo190101 would have done this). Kroll(it's India office) in any case would verify. Am I missing something here?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for resonating my sentiment rkaushik. They have everything..detailed sealed transcripts, provisional degree, every form of letter possible. I just don't get it.

The funniest is I have filed for my H-1 visa three times (one extension and one new) and my GC is underway (hence the part-time) and everything has gone smoothly. It really is a little astonishing.

We'll see I have found a way to do this but am at the mercy of the University processing times.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Have you considered taking help from the local Indian consulate? You could show them your documents and request a letter vouching the authenticity of your background. I would imagine the consul general is obligated to help his country's citizens during times of need. I'm not sure about the laws but given the situation it wouldn't hurt to explore this avenue.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Has anyone heard back yet from Kroll or for FAFSA? I haven't heard a peep about either. Plus the registration deadline is getting close. Should I call the loan office at stern?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
asharc wrote:
Has anyone heard back yet from Kroll or for FAFSA? I haven't heard a peep about either. Plus the registration deadline is getting close. Should I call the loan office at stern?

My Stafford loan is ready for disbursement from the lender on 9/5, so I’m all set on that end. I found NYU to be pretty fast / efficient in this regard.

I’m on day 22 with Kroll myself… My company notified me that Kroll contacted them 11 days ago, and I haven’t heard a thing from anyone since. I assume that no news is good news.

If you call NYU about Kroll, please let us all know what they say! I am guessing that we’ll get feedback on Kroll no sooner than early August, since they are probably in a crunch to send the final bulk of app notifications.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tenore,

When did you send in your fafsa? Did you get an email notification when it was ready?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
asharc wrote:
Tenore,

When did you send in your fafsa? Did you get an email notification when it was ready?

I completed the FAFSA in mid June, before I was accepted. I called NYU in early July (obviously after I was accepted) and they acknowledged receipt of my completed FAFSA and emailed me an unofficial notification of the award amounts. I selected a lender, signed the master promissory note and a few days later I received a guarantee of the loans from HESC. Furthermore, my account with the lender shows that the funds are available and ready to disburse on sept 5th.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tenore,

Thanks for the info. I had sent in my fafsa mid-june as well but havent hear anything. I think I'll give them a call to see whats up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
asharc, i haven't heard from kroll yet and it's been over a month. but regarding the fafsa, i called the stern financial aid office and they were very helpful. they then sent me an email stating the award amount in order to register. a few days after signing the MPN, i received an email from HESC approving the amount.

tenore, you stated that "my account with the lender shows that the funds are available and ready to disburse on sept 5th." how did you find this out? i just assumed that the lender eventually sends you a letter or something...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks nyu08 - I just called the office and they said they will send an email so that I can register. So I should hopefully be able to register this week.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nyu08 wrote:
asharc, i haven't heard from kroll yet and it's been over a month. but regarding the fafsa, i called the stern financial aid office and they were very helpful. they then sent me an email stating the award amount in order to register. a few days after signing the MPN, i received an email from HESC approving the amount.

tenore, you stated that "my account with the lender shows that the funds are available and ready to disburse on sept 5th." how did you find this out? i just assumed that the lender eventually sends you a letter or something...

I used the same lender as I did for my undergrad loan. They allow me to view the account info online / pay the bill. Through this, I was able to see the allocation of the new loans.

Also, through HESC you can see the loans, I think.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Tenore wrote:
nyu08 wrote:

I used the same lender as I did for my undergrad loan. They allow me to view the account info online / pay the bill. Through this, I was able to see the allocation of the new loans.

Also, through HESC you can see the loans, I think.

I see, thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  60