Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink]
Kudos
Classes are generally 3 credits each, some are 1.5 credits. The program is designed to be completed in 2 to 6 years. You need 60 credits to graduate, so you can do the math for yourself. You should really spend some time looking around the website to familiarize yourself with the program.
www.stern.nyu.edu
If you click on "prospective students" you will find alot of info, you can look under both full time program and part time programs.
Also click on "current students" and then go to sternlinks, where you can get a lot of info, even without a stern ID or password.
You have to apply separately to part time and full time programs adn you can only apply to one. It is not fair to everyone else who is working to try to sneak into the part time program and treat it as a full time program. If you want to go full time then apply full time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey all, I just got admitted today. Weeknights Washington Square. I posted stats earlier, but for the database - 730 GMAT, 3.6 Undergrad, 4 years industry experience, CPA
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
I too got admitted today in the Weekends program.

31/M, CFA
Undergrad GPA 3.4 from a 2nd tier Connecticut school
GMAT 720
8 yrs exp, working for a fund-of-funds
My EC is my weekest part of my application - working full time through school
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Finally heard back from the admission committee today. Got into the week end program. I heard back from the admission committee about three weeks in regards some documentation. I took some classes overseas as part of college curriculum in lieu of few classes here. Apparently they wanted the actual certificates from that university or get it attested at that country's consulate. Was a pain to get them. Finally submitted the copies last week. The representative who I was in touch at NYU was very helpful in the process.

My stats:
GMAT 700 (V35 Q50)
Work experience: 3.5 years at a fortune 500 company
Reco: Good I assume as doing MBA is encouraged and reimbursed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
drsparnum wrote:
I was hoping for some help with this problem from the quantitative practice set. Here is the problem...

The Go-Go Bus Line provides rides between New York and Boston. The bus line carries 18,000 passengers per month, each paying $50 for round trip. The company wants to raise the fare. However, the market research department estimates that for each $1 increase in fare, the bus line will lose 200 passengers per month. The total monthly cost of the bus line is $950,000.

What is the profit function f(x), where x is the dollar amount of increase in fare?

Since this is in the practice set the answer is also available just below. The answer is....

f(x) = (50 + x)(18,000 - 200x) - 950,000 = - 200x^2 + 8,000x - 50,000

So how is that function derived? Is that a standard formula? Yes, after testing it at a few points I could see that it works. However, I could not come up with that formula before looking at the answer. While working through it, I was very tempted to make a "revenue" term and "cost" term, which would have necessitated the introduction of a new variable (p, for passangers). Long story short, I was obviously on the wrong track there.

Not a standard formula - it's just derived from the question... profit is the revenue minus the cost of the bus... so you multiply the ticket price times number of passengers, and subtract cost. Think of doing the calculation without a variable fare... then you have to modify to allow for x... I'm sure this doesn't answer your question fully... but a quick half-response :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Nick:
If you are going only weekends I don't believe you can accelerate unless you take additional courses on a weeknights (offered from 6-9 on Mon, Tues, Wed or Thurs). Weekend courses (except for intensives) are only offered on Saturdays either from 9-12 or 1-4. SO going strictly on weekends you can't take more than 6 credits (2 classes) during a regular semester. Additionally, I think you need permission to take more than 6 credits your first semester anyway. Classes are generally 3 credits each, some electives and a few of the core classes (strategy, etc.) taken during intensive periods are 1.5. You need 60 credits to graduate. SO I think going only weekends and taking classes during Jan and summer sessions starting in the Fall you would likely hit 60 credits to graduate in May 2013.
I am a Westchester student. If you go on the new student tour and join the fb group I know there is at least one weekend student answering posts, she would have more info. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Schools:Stern Part-time
Send PM
Kudos
Well, I think my success story (with a 590 GMAT, below their 80% range) disproves two common theories:

1. People with High GMATs always hear earliest - not true. I probably have the lowest GMAT on this forum, yet I found out relatively early (last day of June)

2. GMAT is main factor/ "everything" - if this were true, I would not have been admitted. It seems that NYU is truthful when they say that their admissions process is "holistic."

Best of luck to you, ubs! We're all pulling for you.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the good news for Washington Square weeknights! The admissions folks sent me an e-mail last Friday asking me to provide some detail on my plans to attend class in NYC while living in Philly. Since it's something I've thought about considerably, I had a lot to say. I sent it back Friday afternoon and just got notification about an hour ago.

Here's my stats again:
27/M
Undergrad GPA: 3.49 (Finance, minor in business law)
GMAT: 670 (higher verbal than quant... bit concerned with that)
Exp: 3.5 yrs within different finance roles of a Fortune 50 company
Ex-military
Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
Rec's: Good (Group Finance Director, and current supervisor)
Essays: Pretty good, I think... spent a lot of time on all of them

Looking forward to meeting everybody!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Well guys...good news. Found out yesterday that I got in...1st paragraph in the acceptance letter stated congratulations, 2nd asked for $$ asap....thought that was pretty funny.

MCJD4ever wrote:
Well, I think my success story (with a 590 GMAT, below their 80% range) disproves two common theories:

1. People with High GMATs always hear earliest - not true. I probably have the lowest GMAT on this forum, yet I found out relatively early (last day of June)

2. GMAT is main factor/ "everything" - if this were true, I would not have been admitted. It seems that NYU is truthful when they say that their admissions process is "holistic."

Best of luck to you, ubs! We're all pulling for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the support, everyone. My profile is on the google spreadsheet floating around somewhere in the previous posts. Got into the Wknd program, which was my 1st choice.

NYU sends you an initial notification per email with a follow-up admission package in the mail (have not received yet).

Looking forward to meeting you guys soon.

ks2010 wrote:
Congrats UBS!

Did you get into the Weekend or Weeknights program?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
nnc2010 wrote:
Being a part time MBA applicant I was very surprised being called for the interview. Some of the reasons that come to mind is my Russian Education, and the lack of the background in finance or accounting.
So if anybody knows what to expect in the interview, type inquiries, style of the interview in Stern ext. please share your knowledge.

I would assume they are very similar to full time interviews. I don't see any reason for them to be different. Did you indicate a career switch in your application or do you have a long commute?

Here are few resources you might find useful.

https://theachillesworld.blogspot.com/20 ... e-log.html

https://www.accepted.com/mba/interviews/ ... 774&bhcp=1

Also might be worth reading the full time thread.

calling-all-nyu-fall-2010-applicants-80187-1020.html
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
You can see the schedule at:

https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/registrar/sched ... llPT1.html

You can also see the professor / course ratings when you login to your net id.

I think that is one additional criteria worth looking for. Beyond that i think it depends on one's individual schedule needs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
hey all....just stumbled onto this forum today.

got accepted into the washington weeknights program recently. cant wait to see everyone soon!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all!
I just got accepted yesterday into the weeknights in Washington Square, my profile is:
26/F
GMAT 710, writing score 6
BS Business Admin, GPA 3.3
5 years experience in advertising sales
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
first post..Found out earlier this week I was accepted as well

GMAT 670
GPA 3.36
WE 7 Years across multiple industries
Solid LOR and Essays
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Age = 28
GMAT = 450
Undergraduate GPA/Liberal Arts = 2.7
W/E = (1) Former U.S. Marine/combat Veteran(enlisted) who LED 12 plus Marines in an infantry squad in Iraq. Blown up by suicide bomber and shot at countless times - never mentioned in application but my medals/ribbons communicate this well.
(2) currently working as an Intelligence Assistant for prestigious government agency

END RESULT OF APPLICATION PROCESS = DENIED admission.

Veterans,
A high GMAT score is the only thing that matters at STERN, or maybe it was my lack of leadership skills...lol.

Good luck to all accepted applicants.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
I just found out that I got accepted to the weekend program. Can't wait to see you guys.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  31