GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 12:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

NYU Stern Tech MBA or INSEAD?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
NYU Stern Tech MBA or INSEAD?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2019, 20:13
Which should I choose among the 2 above if I am looking at tech industry post-MBA? I understand that both are one year program and INSEAD seems to be good in tech-related job placements on top of consulting. Stern Tech MBA is relatively new and I cannot find much information on whether the graduates become a PM in GAFAM post MBA. Any advice?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: NYU Stern Tech MBA or INSEAD?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 09:32
I don't know much about Stern's Tech MBA yet, so I probably should not comment on it much but a number of US Schools (pretty much all in Top 10 place well in Tech and have numerous FANG companies coming on campus). I would doubt you would get a PM role at FANG's after Stern. Perhaps in Supply Chain but that's pretty tall order and mostly M7 or HSW is who gets it (this is driven in a meaningful part by prior work experience but since HSW has 2,000 grads each year, they cover a lot of ground). But as an example, Souvik was able to get a summer internship as a PM at Apple. He recruited off campus on his own and the part that helped was his strong EDU background being a teacher in the past, having international exposure, and being tech savvy. So, you may score a good role through a niche opportunity but likely will lose in a fair fight.

In general the choice between an EU school and a US school, at least at first boils down to where you want to end up. Do you want to be in Silicon Valley or do you want to be in EU/Asia. It is usually harder (though not impossible) to recruit for the US position out of France or Singapore and vice versa. Not impossible but why to go School in the US if you are going to end up in Asia?

In general I would say INSEAD will trump many US schools and definitely Stern in terms of its program caliber and opportunities, experience, and network. The only weakness is penetrating the US recruiting and potential US H1B visa issues unless you have a way around it.

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 18:42
bb Thanks for the advice. Crystal clear with my choices now.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 15:26
Sorry to join this party late, but the way to look at it is the employment report and LinkedIn.
I looked at both and it does look like a lot of Stern kids go to Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Facebook... I didn’t see many at Netflix or Apple.

Next step, do a compatible analysis against other schools - again, it looks like Booth and Kellogg, are sending an equal number. It looks like UCLA, USC, Haas, Stanford on the west coast are definitely sending a lot more. The only east coast school to send more was MIT.

I feel these gut feels about one school being better than the other is a bad way to decide the school best for you. Look at employment reports and LinkedIn. People will give random advice because of biased rankings and you’ll pay for it with your hard earned $. There is no evidence of the existence of M7 and Ivy was for sports league.

Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: Q164 V161
GPA: 3.63

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2019, 16:18
Hey where did you go finally? Instead or NYU tech MBA?

GMAT Club Bot
Re: NYU Stern Tech MBA or INSEAD?   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2019, 16:18

NYU Stern Tech MBA or INSEAD?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch