It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 00:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ocean waves

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 712 [3], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Ocean waves [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 00:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:13) correct 25% (01:26) wrong based on 356 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

"Ocean waves are actually a circular movement of the water both above and below the surface. Boaters and swimmers see and feel the portion of the wave that is above the surface. As long as the wave is in the deep ocean it will usually not fall in on itself, known as “breaking.” When the bottom of the ocean becomes shallower - specifically when the depth of the water is less than 1.3 times the height of the wave - the wave will break. This occurs because the circular motion of the wave below the water cannot continue and the portion of the wave above the surface builds up until it collapses.

If the statements above are true, which of the following can be inferred?

A) Waves occurring in the deeper parts of the ocean are not dangerous because they usually do not break.

B) Shallow water is the only mechanism that causes waves to break.

C) Swimmers and boaters should avoid areas where waves are breaking.

D) It may be possible to estimate the depth of shallow ocean waters based on the height of breaking waves.

E) Waves occurring in freshwater lakes do not reach the same height as waves in the ocean.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 712 [3], given: 80

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 48 [1], given: 492

CAT Tests
Re: Ocean waves [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 02:09
This post received
KUDOS
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
"Ocean waves are actually a circular movement of the water both above and below the surface. Boaters and swimmers see and feel the portion of the wave that is above the surface. As long as the wave is in the deep ocean it will usually not fall in on itself, known as “breaking.” When the bottom of the ocean becomes shallower - specifically when the depth of the water is less than 1.3 times the height of the wave - the wave will break. This occurs because the circular motion of the wave below the water cannot continue and the portion of the wave above the surface builds up until it collapses.

If the statements above are true, which of the following can be inferred?

A) Waves occurring in the deeper parts of the ocean are not dangerous because they usually do not break.

B) Shallow water is the only mechanism that causes waves to break.

C) Swimmers and boaters should avoid areas where waves are breaking.

D) It may be possible to estimate the depth of shallow ocean waters based on the height of breaking waves.

E) Waves occurring in freshwater lakes do not reach the same height as waves in the ocean.

+1 for D. Line highlighted mentions that depth of shallow waters can be estimated based on the height of breaking waves.

Kudos [?]: 48 [1], given: 492

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 05:42
IMO D- rest all options are all wayward and cannot be inferred from the argument. Choice D appropriately states that the depth of shallow ocean waters can be estimated

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 101

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 12:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 231

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2016, 12:42
options A,C and E are out of scope or irrelevant options
the use of word ' only ' makes option B incorrect
fom the following statement ' When the bottom of the ocean becomes shallower - specifically when the depth of the water is less than 1.3 times the height of the wave - the wave will break. ' we can can estimate the depth of shallow water
Correct Answer - D

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 231

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 23:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Veritasprep answer:

In this Inference question, the correct answer must be true, while incorrect answers could be false.

Choice A could be false because the stimulus never discusses the danger posed by deep ocean waves.

Choice B also goes beyond what is discussed in the stimulus; the stimulus indicates shallow water is one cause of waves breaking but maybe not necessarily the only cause.

Choice C uses the word “should” which is usually an indicator of reaching beyond what must be true. The stimulus does not say anything about what portions of the ocean should be avoided.

Choice D is the correct answer as the stimulus provides ample reasons why it may be possible to estimate the depth of water based on the height of breaking waves.

Choice E also goes beyond the stimulus by bringing freshwater lakes into the discussion. It may certainly be true that waves on lakes are not as big as those in the ocean, but this may also be false precisely because it is not discussed by the stimulus.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 46

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 541

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 00:44
The answer is D
A ,C and E are irrelevant to the argument .
There is a choice between B and D
While there is a case for B but the argument does not have sufficient information to infer B .
We are just told that breaking happens in shallow water .
The can be other reasons for breaking .
D on the other is absolutely correct we can estimate the depth of the shallow waters

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 541

Re: Ocean waves   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2017, 00:44

Ocean waves

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap