GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 05:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 01:19
neo656 wrote:

A woman recalling Barney's quotes ... even adding on top of it ..
this chat is going to be LEGEN…wait for it…DARY.
:punk

Also true story, I quoted that on one of my essays (well, because it is!!). Hope the adcom watch HIMYM. :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 01:27
I love it how in the US tv shows guys get the super hot girls so easy and whats better, the super hot girls always make the first step :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 13:22
neo656 wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:
The thing I noticed is that race does not really matters. What matters (more) is ethnicity. Ethnicity plays part to the extend to which one party decides to isolate him/herself and seek only people from their ethnicity. And when I say ethnicity, I mean religion. You mentioned that you are from Pakistan. Well, in the US there was in my uni a Pakistani clique and girls were wearing the burqa...which basically, at least to non-Muslim guys means "I am unavailable".

It is fair to say that Pakistani girls and Indian girls look similarly. I know two Caucasian guy - Indian girl couples, but I did not see a Caucasian guy - Pakistani girl couple, despite the fact that I am pretty sure Pakistani girls significantly outnumbered Indian ones.

Since Nelz2015 is talking about interracial dating, is applying to high ranking b-schools and is talking about open-mindedness, then I'd like to take it for granted that she's not one of the burqa-clad women...

I also take it for granted that Nelz2015 is not the burqa type of a girl. My example just served to show that its not ethnicity or race, its the actual behavior of the specific person.
Generally speaking, from my experience, as long as foreigners in Europe and the USA basically act as one of the rest, go to parties, socialize, have fun, there is no reason why these people cannot date/befriend the locals. But very often foreigners just hang with people of their own culture & language and makes it very difficult. Because, lets face it, no matter how b-schools try to sell the ideas of liberalism, multi-culturalism, diversity...at the end of the day, people like to stick with people with whom they can relate, with people that share similar views. Yes, people in b-schools are smart and open-minded and they will be very polite and welcoming, but I find it difficult to imagine that they will really get close with someone who exhibits very unfamiliar behavior and adheres to totally different culture.
Bottom line and I conclude this topic: From what I have seen, ethnicity, race, religion does not matter. It matters how you act in your new environment and how you personally and individually fit there ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 02:58
appleamily wrote:

In the US the "burqa-clad" comments will probably get flagged as politically incorrect. No judging, just saying. On the other hand, I'm glad I'm not in the US anymore so I am free to say what I really think.

IMHO, there are cool people and "uncool" people in every culture and ethnicity. Certain countries, statistically speaking, export more uncool people than others. I would hang with people of any ethnicity or culture, including women sporting traditional clothes, as long as they're cool. But unfortunately, in most western countries, one is instantly perceived as "uncool" when he/she speaks English with a, say, Jackie-Chen accent (unless, of course, you know Kungfu and literally kick ass). And the only way for you to appear "cool enough to hang with" to those crowds is if you play precisely into the stereotypes and act like a clown for their amusement.

Many stereotypes are statistically true. I honestly don't think ignorant people have the mental capacity to fabricate such elaborate collections of cultural/ethnic traits out of thin air (sure, Hollywood helped a little, but the idea has to come from somewhere). Some people spend their entire life fighting against prejudices and striving to defy stereotypes, while many of "their own people" go around the world reinforcing prejudices by fitting the stereotypes to the t.

What are you supposed to do when you're born into a losing team where your teammates keep sabotaging the score?

Getting a bit off topic... my apologies. A much more interesting discussion though. :D

Excellent post. I very much agree with the fact that although the word "stereotype" bears a negative meaning, it also serves a purpose. Stereotypes are very difficult to be "coined" and they take a lot of "observation" to become "statistically significant". They surely have value to the extent to which they are more likely to be true than false for an individual from a certain location.
However, the more open and liberal (California) an environment is, the easier it is for an individual coming from a negatively stereotyped country to come up as a valuable fit.
And about the political correctness thing. I think its highly overrated and in fact detrimental in many ways. Political correctness hinders communication and prevents people from expressing themselves in a way that might be useful and that might add value to a discussion. Just check out how useful and valuable is our conversation now, when we can freely express our thoughts and beliefs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2014, 09:54
Statistically speaking, luxury cars are bought by successful guys. And just for statistical purposes, one might argue that people with some flaws (small packages being one of them), might try harder to succeed in order to make up for the flaw. So...statistically speaking, you might be right :D
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2014, 20:40
Whoa--- did i just spend the past 3 hours going through all the 21 pages of this thread. !!!!
I am kinda bummed(or not!:)) that I did not stumble on it during the essay writing phase of my app process. Since I read the entire thing at once, its interesting to note how the mood of the discussion has changed over the past 6 years.[ all relevant to this thread though]. Most of it was downright hilarious. Folks from '08 need to come back and complete their stories ! Seriously -- please tell us what happened .

Earnest request to anyone who is reading this at any time in the future [days/ months/ years or what not]: post and keep the thread alive!! you need threads such as this one to pump in the much needed stress free excitement that the B school app process lacks.

I am an international working in the states . Yes inter racial dating does exist. I have been a part of such an experience and it was legit fun while it lasted. Totally depends on who you end up meeting , IMO a stereotype does not exist when it comes to matters of the heart. People have different personalities and they go to varied lengths to get what they want. A mix of cultures can be oh -so attractive or downright effin awkward depending on how you and your flame look at things in general .

As far as schools i did visit many . I remember having this conversation with a friend of mine last month raving about how smokin some of the women at duke were. Kellogg had more of the cute kind. < yea i dig that too > . My wharton visit coincided with the veterans day so there's not much to talk bout there lol. As far as booth, well let's just say i dont rmbr much...

Anyway i did hit it off (atleast I think so) with this girl during my duke visit. She was a russian living in Canada . An extremely pleasing personality very warm smile.We started talking about our work exp . I work with with oil and gas and she was into finance. Clearly, that conversation wasnt going places. We switched topics to the duke culture which gave me 15 more min. Additionally The fact that we were both internationals wanting an MBA from the US bought me another 10 ;) We ended up sitting in class together and later shared a pizza at the duke cafeteria. I rmbr she looked at me and smiled when the second year student giving us a campus tour talked about fuqua's mixer with the nursing school lol. We were both single and for a general world setting I had enough reasons to make a real move--except that the setting was not a tad bit general . We got out of campus and for it was raining, shared an umbrella (it was hers). The 5 min walk from fuqua's main gate to the parking seemed ten times shorter . And before I could ask for her "business card" , she had already said the goodbyes and unlocked her car door.I got into my chevy rental and took off for the airport.LOL
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 03:38
Best. Thread. Ever.

This is also my lame attempt to revive it.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 03:01
Ergenekon wrote:
Yes, too subtle that I did not even get it. :lol: By the way, the thread began well enough. However, after some discussions topic was disrupted by users who I think have never dated any girls. :-D I decided it based on some replies.

Hmm... are you referring to me? I've dated girls!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 19:42
Ergenekon wrote:
appleamily wrote:
Ergenekon wrote:
I also wonder why although there are 22 pages, appleamily thought I could refer to him?

Because I am sensitive like that. :oops:

Then you are lucky. Girls like sensitive guys :lol:

And I thought appleamily is a woman. :lol:

Received an offer? Congrats! You might want to 'Negotiate the Offer'.

I'm happy to help if you wanna know about Ross & UMich, but please do not come to me with your GMAT issues or questions. And please add a bit of humor to your questions or you'll bore me to death.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2015, 10:16
Ergenekon wrote:
ankushbagwale wrote:
I think it a sure way to explore the hotties.

But chances are slim as either :
1. Chicks are married
2. Taken
3. Having children etc. etc.

Yeah, it seems there will a war among guys:)

I would say all of that is the same for girls looking for guys.

But I did have a first year at Kellogg tell me to just wait till the turkey drop.
B
GPA: 4
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 09:36
[q

I would say all of that is the same for girls looking for guys.

But I did have a first year at Kellogg tell me to just wait till the turkey drop.[/quote]

It again proves that along with consulting, finance etc. clubs, there must be dating clubs in b -schools as well :-D[/quote]

I think if we happen to be in the same school we two can surely start one!!!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Brand Management (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2015, 11:43
knowing the stats for females to males at B School indicate more males then probably there is chasing after the girls. But both the guys and girls might be taken/married so I wonder if there is an unofficial singles social club ? and i wonder how many people who were in a relationship were not any more by December of their starting year? haahmaybe one year probrams wouldn't put such a dent in those relationships, like at INSEAD.. is there a statistic?
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.48
WE: Public Relations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2015, 22:50
I wish I had read this thread through before I sent in my apps because this would have been useful intel. Now I'm wondering if I should submit an app to Duke for R2. LOL. SC29, having been there for a year would you say that the guys there are above par compared to other schools? [regardless of whichever direction you swing :) ]
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 13:32
bb, I want to revive the hot-or-not idea in here, but modified. We'll discuss this during our chat this week.

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:22
My boss met her husband at HBS.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:23
The odds for me are 0 because I have not been admitted anywhere.

One step at a time, my friend.
Schools: Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:24
You are right, me neither.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:25
theres definitely dating within the class, but the odds are not in your favor as a guy. start early... think admit weekend!
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:26
agold wrote:
The odds for me are 0 because I have not been admitted anywhere.

One step at a time, my friend.

You don't need to be a student to loiter outside and try to chat up B school ladies as they go to their McKinsey interviews. :lol:

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:31
Additionally, the area around Duke is shady. Ur odds improvce significantly as u might have to walk the "foxes" back home late in the evenings.

ryguy904 wrote:
Your odds would be best if you got into Duke. The Fuqua Foxes are by far the best looking women at any top b-schools that I've visited. They also know how to party, meaning that they will...I think I've made my point.

PS The law school is right next door, which is another gold mine of its own.

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2008, 14:31

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23    Next  [ 449 posts ] 

Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi