GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 07:21
I'm cracking up at these guys comments too! I'm a gay guy--from my perspective, the girls at most of these b-schools are no prize, but the guys are MUCH worst. The only b-school where I thought the guys were somewhat attractive was Stanford. Any other place, I'm dating undergrads.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 08:28
1. Whoever referenced The Pickup Artist is awesome. According to Mystery, the top prize for any pickup artist is a bikini model, so a b-school chick should be a cinch. Throw out a few negs, pay attention to the IOIs, smash the hookpoint, then kiss-close. Nothing to it.

2. Dick Vitale is the most attractive woman I've ever seen in the crowd at Cameron Indoor.

3. I went to an info session where spouse finding was right up there with career placement. It started with a few off-handed comments, but by the end I was scanning the room trying to guess the highest dowery.

Love this thread.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 10:07
The point of most of the pick up stuff is to 'polarize' the person, aka it will take a guy who normally intrigues say 10% of the girls he meets, irritates 10%, and is 'just another guy' for 80%, and make him into someone who irritates 50% but intrigues 20% (and is therefore arguably twice as successful). All depends if that trade-off is worth it for you.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern '11

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:50
bostonsparky wrote:
Indeed, I know girls like to say a similar quote about guys being like parking spaces.

What exactly do these girls say about guys being like parking spaces?
Girls: "Guys are like parking spaces. We all secretly wish we had a handicapped one?"

:-D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2008, 06:07
I second this, it's hilarious to read. Especially the terminology that gets created, 'fuqua foxes'. I'm married but definitely take part in helping my guy friends/ girl friends find people, it's fun. I can say major turn offs are, inflated egos and insecurity. Find that nice place in the middle and don't be a jerk or try to impress. And be funny, but don't be funny if you're not funny. ;)
And yeah, hit the gym. A former job at McKinsey or Goldman's won't erase a beer gut.

chitchat wrote:
As a female, this thread definitely made me laugh really hard, so thanks for that guys.
When I find some more time, I'll post some female perspective comments to the pick up lines. :-D

In the mean time, I will vouch for there being cute, intelligent, single girls applying to top schools.

And yes, hit the gym. The girls are doing it too.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2008, 07:05
I'm going to claim some inside info here. I live in Chapel Hill, right next to UNC. I visit Duke quite often, as I have a good friend who goes to Fuqua. And I did my undergrad at UVA. (I'm applying to all three.)

UNC is Out. Of. Control. when it comes to hot undergrads. From what I've seen at the B-school, though, you'll do just fine, but nothing remarkable.

Fuqua really is pretty intense. Loads of hot women. And the law school is right next door, and predominantly female, so take your game next door if you strike out in Operations class.

Darden. Actually had a tour there yesterday. VERY impressed with the ladies there - intelligent and well-spoken, in addition to being smokin' hot. You're also right next door to the law school, and I have it on VERY good authority (I dated a 1L as a fourth year) that the women there are super attractive, very smart and generally pretty open to dating guys from outside the law school.

Of course, when the love bug bites you, you'll think your baby is the most gorgeous one in the world, so none of these comparisons really matter.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2008, 19:38
Those of you that stated they are good looking, please post pictures for us to agree/disagree... :P

I'd like to ask the girls one question: does it matter to you that the BS guy you may have a crush on may be in debt for a ton of money? Or, do you look into perspective? I mean, not all of us were making 6 figures + for years before heading into BS.

Best AWA guide here: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
Current Student
Schools: Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2008, 18:10
Both times I was flying out of Seattle.

I do fly a fair amount.

In fact Im flying tomorrown, and again on Thursday. Quite frankly, excited for the possibilities Thursday. I believe I will be flying out of Charlette back to my home. I think there are strong possibilities on that flight.

As a side anecdote, once when I was flying out of San Francisco, I saw this girl that I recognized from high school. She was a girl I kind of had a thing for. She pretty much ignored me though throughout high school, probably for good reason. Lets just my ugly duckling phase was pretty much age 12 through age 18. Basically.

Long story short, she ends up have the seat next to me! Finally, she turns to me and says 'hey, are you?'. I say yeah. We talk whole flight. She goes on to tell me before getting on flight she had texted another girl I knew saying "guess who is about to board the same flight with me?"

Im telling you. I get lucky with this stuff.

Anyway, feel like I have a blind date Thursday. I wonder who will sit next to me. I hope she is emotionally independent, adventurous, kind hearted, and has a pretty smile.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2009, 12:33
Around the World to Find the Girl Next Door
Finding Love at HBS

RCs Tomo and Taka share their romantic tale.

It's springtime and love is in the air. As the Harbus offers blind date opportunities and wedding dresses fill the windows of downtown Boston shops, we thought it would be appropriate to feature a truly engaging HBS love story. Cupid's arrow hit Tomo Ishizumi, a former CEO and art enthusiast from New F, and Taka Hasegawa, a strategy consultant from New C and the rest is history.

http://media.www.harbus.org/media/stora ... 2701.shtml

Blind Dates
Love and Laughter at HBS

Six HBS students let the Harbus set them up on blind dates and agreed to share their experiences.

Dating on campus? Non-existent? Negligible? More in need of stimulus than the economy? Your crimson cupids are here to change that.

http://media.www.harbus.org/media/stora ... 2705.shtml
Schools: HBS, Cornell, Rotman, Columbia
WE 1: 3 - Think tank research/non-profit

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Mar 2010, 18:19
bostonsparky wrote:
and also give you a decent window of un-interrupted, nothing to compete with conversation.

Just a female perspective here:

A friend of mine and I (both mid-20s females) detest those chatty seatmate pick-up attempts. We've even joked about wearing ipod headphones visibly without a player, just to see if people get the hint after our third polite "I'll let you get back to your book" or "I need to get some work done, please excuse me."

Airports drive me nuts. Pick-up attempts when you get your ticket, pick-up attempts when you go through security, pick-up attempts when you board, pick-up attempts at your seat!

Trust me, guys. Let her do the talking. She will if she's interested. And no, it doesn't matter if you're at H/S/W. The women worth having don't care.

PS. This is advice about relationships, not hooking up. The skanks are easy to spot, and a simple wave of a platinum card will do the trick in seconds.

Originally posted by alpha56789 on 29 Mar 2010, 09:35.
Last edited by alpha56789 on 29 Mar 2010, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 10:43
GoMannschaftGo wrote:
Undergrads... I get older, they stay the same age :twisted:

The combination of Patrick Bateman avatar and potentialyl inappropriate username makes this the most creepy thing ever posted on gmatclub by a factor of at least 1000.
Manager
Manager
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2011, 16:04
LOL can I just say that this thread is pure, unadulterated awesomeness! Thanks for helping me get through three hours of non-work as I sit in my office during the holidays.

After months of reading the (justifiably) PC posts in the other forums, reading the ones here feels like a can of Natty Ice and White Castle after a diet of quinoa, kale and kombucha tea. mm mmm

May all you young grasshoppers find yo baby mama at bizniz school!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2013, 15:05
DefyingGravity wrote:
This thread is hilarious, and I second Sheva's comment. Since most top b-schools are about 70% male, I'd be interested to see some comments on the male populations across schools.

I have visited Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, and Northwestern, so I can speak to them.

Stanford=hot. The most gorgeous guy from my undergrad ended up there. I think the interviewer's rating scale just asks about attractiveness because it's California dreamin' every day.

Kellogg. I thought the girls here were really pretty, and the guys were just ok.

Yale had hot international guys and so-so American guys. I might just have a thing for internationals though....hmmm. Overall though, Yale draws a dorky and mousy type of girl and a jew-fro kind of boy. Not exactly my type for dating, but that's why I'm probably attending Yale (and dragging the boyfriend with me). Hmmm, not that there are many gay people at a school of only 500 people...

Berkeley: the guys here were good looking, not as attractive as Stanford's, but totally worth a second look, or even a second date!

On a side note I visited Harvard as an undergrad, and even if they're hot, they're so into themselves that they're already in relationships...with themselves. Hey, wait, my boyfriend went to Harvard...ugh, I hate this world and its evil irony!

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2013, 12:29
lonesoui wrote:

7. Johnson: Ithaca, what can I say? I think I saw about 4-5 women here, and 3 of them weren't bad. I guess that's a good percentage then?

Dibs.
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2013, 19:50
stochastic77 wrote:
Any opinions on the quality of the men at Booth, Sloan, and Tepper? Specifically, the availability of brilliant, cerebral men who also have a personality?

I could say I know of at least one at Sloan, but I suppose that'd be a little arrogant. :lol:
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 14:08
phlaym39 wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:
Why do you think MBA/Law school would not add value to a girls` dating ... potential (? correct word ? )

I would love to date a successful and independent girl, knowing that she is with me because she likes ME, and not because of the fact that I would guarantee her a financial stability. I am sure many guys think the same way.

However, many men find intelligent, qualified women to be intimidating.

THIS. I mean of course this isn't every guy, but I think a lot of guys say they want an intelligent and successful woman, but then later get intimidated or uncomfortable with the idea that a woman may be more intelligent or successful then them. Pretty much they want a girl that went to college and has a good job. I think instinctually many men want to feel like the protector and provider. Which I actually don't mind at all and like. But I also realize that my graduate degree(s) can be a turn off.

Also, I feel like we aren't giving men enough credit. Of course, men look at looks and that's where initial attraction begins. But for long-term dating and marriage, even guys are looking for something beyond looks. If that was the case, no pretty girl would ever get dumped and we'd all be married!

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:22
LOL. If your grandma says you are handsome I'm sure you have many marriage opportunities both inside and outside of MBA schools.
Current Student
Schools: Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:25
730 gmat. 3.0 gpa.

and like i said, my grandma says I am handsome.
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:29
Your odds would be best if you got into Duke. The Fuqua Foxes are by far the best looking women at any top b-schools that I've visited. They also know how to party, meaning that they will...I think I've made my point.

PS The law school is right next door, which is another gold mine of its own.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Dec 2008, 14:33
ryguy904 wrote:
Your odds would be best if you got into Duke. The Fuqua Foxes are by far the best looking women at any top b-schools that I've visited. They also know how to party, meaning that they will...I think I've made my point.

PS The law school is right next door, which is another gold mine of its own.

Are you kidding? All I've heard is that attractive women are not Duke's strong suit in ANY discipline, especially not the law school. I have a female friend who graduated from Fuqua, and she does nothing to disprove this point.

No offense to any lurking "Fuqua Foxes" of course. I have never visited campus.

Originally posted by atlmba2009 on 04 Dec 2008, 14:32.
Last edited by atlmba2009 on 04 Dec 2008, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2008, 14:32

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23    Next  [ 449 posts ] 

Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi